Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She would have still made $480/month.

Your family and her family feel it's not worth it and it doesn't make sense.

THAT'S WHY resorts hire foreign workers. THEY think it's worth it!

Not sure what this little rant is about. Granted, it would be easier for married people would since there is someone else earning money to pay for the existing permanent housing. But it doesn't work like that for a single person. A single person can't afford to maintain the permanent residence while paying for a second temporary residence for a low paying job that lasts a few months. That would be more expensive than the $1,000 airfare that you didn't think made sense since most people's rent and mortgage payments total more than $1,000 over the summer months.
They can always rent or sublet the home they aren't living in. I know a number of people who are doing that right now. Got jobs in other cities and rented their permanent residences while renting in the place they are working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They can always rent or sublet the home they aren't living in. I know a number of people who are doing that right now. Got jobs in other cities and rented their permanent residences while renting in the place they are working.
If it's not worth it for the college student you know, why would it be worth it for someone else? Resorts hire foreigners because many Americans don't want to move to the other side of the country for a temporary, low wage. It's that simple. So obviously not enough Americans are interested, regardless of if it's feasible or not.

Americans who want the work can definitely do it. I can only speculate why resorts didn't hire the college students you know. But my child had a pick of 8 resort job offers this season that were all across the country. Making awesome money since it's a professional position. Living and working with American workers and foreign workers. Americans are there and they aren't a minority. But finding enough American workers is a staffing nightmare and foreign workers are an absolute necessity for resorts.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If it's not worth it for the college student you know, why would it be worth it for someone else? Resorts hire foreigners because many Americans don't want to move to the other side of the country for a temporary, low wage. It's that simple.

Americans who want the work can definitely do it. I can only speculate why resorts didn't hire the college students you know. But my child had a pick of 8 resort job offers this season that were all across the country. Making awesome money since it's a professional position. Living and working with American workers and foreign workers. Americans are there and they aren't a minority, but staffing is a nightmare and foreign workers are an absolute necessity for resorts.
I think we are talking about two different things. I agree, it's not practical for all unemployed people to take short term work not near their homes. That said, some resort areas have a decent sized metro area within an hour or so drive, so people wouldn't have to relocate. Lake George to the Capital District of NY comes right to mind.

And until an employer has diligently tried to fill jobs with American workers (recruiting heavily on college campuses for example) they shouldn't be able to hire foreign workers.

I'm talking about career type jobs, in some cases there are people who are long term unemployed in fields where there are plenty of jobs but in different regions. Health care in Florida for example. I hear about high unemployment for nurses in MI, well maybe those people need to move to places where there are nursing jobs, even though it might mean leaving loved ones behind.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think we are talking about two different things. I agree, it's not practical for all unemployed people to take short term work not near their homes. That said, some resort areas have a decent sized metro area within an hour or so drive, so people wouldn't have to relocate. Lake George to the Capital District of NY comes right to mind.

And until an employer has diligently tried to fill jobs with American workers (recruiting heavily on college campuses for example) they shouldn't be able to hire foreign workers.

I'm talking about career type jobs, in some cases there are people who are long term unemployed in fields where there are plenty of jobs but in different regions. Health care in Florida for example. I hear about high unemployment for nurses in MI, well maybe those people need to move to places where there are nursing jobs, even though it might mean leaving loved ones behind.
Career type jobs are filled by Americans at resorts. There are laws and resorts do follow these laws. They do not hire foreigners for jobs that can be filled by Americans.

It's housekeepers, cooks, etc., that are normally done by foreign workers. Foreigners who speak perfect English work in retail, customer service or front line positions at restaurants. The well paying jobs that go to foreigners are ones where they can't find enough Americans---these are unique skill jobs.

I'm not sure why you brought this up in this thread. The OP isn't taking a career type job from Americans. He is coming here to work at a resort for a seasonal job in housekeeping, restaurant work, etc.

Your restriction that they diligently fill jobs at college campuses isn't realistic. If they filled the jobs in February with all American college students, they would be in a desperate situation when a large percentage of them dont' show up or can't pass the drug test if they do show up. This type of unreliability is well documented. The government is well aware of the unqiue staffing challenges in the tourism industry and that's why these visas are available to foreigners.

Remember, many of the summer positions start and end when college is still in session so college students aren't really a perfect fit for many resort jobs because they're not available for the entire season.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:35 AM

14 posts, read 26,331 times
Hopes, you are right. All who comes to USA as Work and Travel participants are going to work simple, not a career type jobs. And I am too searching such jobs.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:41 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Work USA View Post
Hopes, you are right. All who comes to USA as Work and Travel participants are going to work simple, not a career type jobs. And I am too searching such jobs.
I feel sorry for you, WorkUSA, posting on this forum and getting mixed up in a daft cat fight. Ignore all of it and just keep searching. Trust me that what you're seeing on this forum isn't so far representative of the norm. If you find a possibility for employment in a particular state you might be better off posting on that state's forum to get more insider reviews and comments.

annerk, I'd be most interested in hearing your answer to a question I posed earlier, viz:

"And while you're at it, you might petition that the American students who leave for overseas to participate in similar programs all over the world be prohibited from doing so for the same reasons.

http://www.ciee.org/"

Old 02-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I feel sorry for you, WorkUSA, posting on this forum and getting mixed up in a daft cat fight. Ignore all of it and just keep searching. Trust me that what you're seeing on this forum isn't so far representative of the norm. If you find a possibility for employment in a particular state you might be better off posting on that state's forum to get more insider reviews and comments.
I'm 100% supporting WorkUSA in coming here, unlike Annerk who chose to go off on a rant about foreigners taking American jobs.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Thanks Hopes and STT Resident. The answers from the employers were I try to get a job aren't good. Only get answer: ,,I wanted to let you know that at this point I have filled all of my open positions. Best of luck in your job search!". Luck is really what I need Better apply for other jobs, maybe I will get luck.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work USA View Post
Thanks Hopes and STT Resident. The answers from the employers were I try to get a job aren't good. Only get answer: ,,I wanted to let you know that at this point I have filled all of my open positions. Best of luck in your job search!". Luck is really what I need
When are you planning to come? The time of year or month could influence our advice on the best places to look.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 PM

I am planning to come on June 1 and would like to work till September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search