Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times

Advertisements

Everywhere I look (McDonalds, Shoneys, Pizza Joe's, puke on the floor pub, etc etc) they all want resumes. What the heck is it with these crappy places thinking theyre some high class place that deserves a resume? What happened to applications? Do people not do them anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times
When I applied to McDonalds the resume was optional....the places you mentioned use online applications. Different thing.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM

Thats not what I asked. I asked why it is practically every single place listing in local newspapers, craigslist, telephone poles, old fashioned slang term for brothels, everywhere that is hiring for a basic minimum wage job they all say "bring your resume"? When i was younger the only places that wanted a resume were places that required you to have a college degree. Now fast food joints, grocery stores, and whomever else wants a resume. Is it because these businesses want people to feel "special" or something? Why do we now have to put on a suit and tie and bring a resume to a place that for all intents and purposes is hiring us to shovel crap out of a barn?

Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Everywhere I look (McDonalds, Shoneys, Pizza Joe's, puke on the floor pub, etc etc) they all want resumes. What the heck is it with these crappy places thinking theyre some high class place that deserves a resume? What happened to applications? Do people not do them anymore?
Just remember that the job application is specifically designed to quickly weed out unsuitable candidates by highlighting your weaknesses so it isn't your best friend. A resume can be designed to highlight your strengths as a candidate so I would encourage you to have one.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Submitting an application merely demonstrates that you know how to fill in the blanks, whereas writing a resume means you have the basic cognitive skills to start with a blank sheet of paper and assemble a coherent thought.

Even in entry level restaurant and retail jobs, they want someone who can think and apply logic and reasoning skills.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Yes but i lack the common sense and iq to work at places that typically want a resume. Which is why i go for places that take applications. They dont care about anything other than can i show up to work on time and work hard. All I want to do is wash dishes. That shouldnt require a resume with a 2 paragraph cover letter.

When did everyone and their brother start wanting resumes?

Last edited by pythonis; 02-12-2012 at 07:03 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 06:49 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Yes but i lack the common sense and iq to work at places that typically want a resume. Which is why i go for places that take applications. They dont care about anything other than can i show up to work on time and work hard.

When did everyone and their brother start wanting resumes?
Well, clearly a lot if not most places care about more than that.

These places preferred to see resumes twenty years ago when I was applying to them for part-time high school and college work. It's hardly a new thing.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:49 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
and multiple interviews lol. its ridiculous these days

Old 02-12-2012, 07:14 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
Quote:
Thats not what I asked. I asked why it is practically every single place listing in local newspapers, craigslist, telephone poles, old fashioned slang term for brothels, everywhere that is hiring for a basic minimum wage job they all say "bring your resume"? When i was younger the only places that wanted a resume were places that required you to have a college degree. Now fast food joints, grocery stores, and whomever else wants a resume. Is it because these businesses want people to feel "special" or something? Why do we now have to put on a suit and tie and bring a resume to a place that for all intents and purposes is hiring us to shovel crap out of a barn?
Lots of job listings on craigslist, telephone poles, and local newspapers may not even have a formal job application for you to fill out, so they count on your resume to learn about you.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Lots of job listings on craigslist, telephone poles, and local newspapers may not even have a formal job application for you to fill out, so they count on your resume to learn about you.
so basically theyre too cheap to furnish an application?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search