Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
Aren't you a career counselor? Can't you answer your own questions?
If you took time to read my first post you would have seen that I was asking for advice for someone else not me. I don't need job searching or resume advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Do you all put volunteer and other unrelated jobs or activities on your resume to fill the gap? the last thing on my resume is my part time, not career related job, and 3 places I've volunteered. If anyone reads to the end of my resume, they'll see what I've been doing.
Fortunately I've never had any months or years employment gaps in 50 years of full time employment but always briefly added my community/volunteer work to my resumé. As an employer, this sort of experience on an applicant's resumé is always a plus.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You have been warned that I have no interest in talking to you on this board so the next time I will report you for being rude and harassing me. Leave me alone please, not going to say it again
Go ahead. I am neither harassing you or being rude to you, simply commenting on an open forum and addressing both what you and others have opined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker38 View Post
if u think volunteering or learning a new computer program makes you an "interesting person", you have been seriously misled. doing those things is just puritanical make-yourself-feel-better-you-are-doing-something.
Many would totally disagree with you. I've never either sought to learn something new or volunteered in the community to "make myself feel better". The absolute opposite, in fact. If my talents and time can benefit someone else's lot then the satisfaction of accomplishing that is priceless and has nothing whatsoever to do with any self-serving motivation.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:22 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
TVSG, Its natural to ask what people have been doing during gaps, just as actively employed candidates are asked what they do in their jobs. Some may be turned off, some may not ask, but still may view the unemployed candidate less favorably, especially in fast-changing fields. A good rule of thumb, IMO, in 2012, is the unemployed candidate to be hired, must be head and shoulders above the rest in education, training, demonstrated work ethic, and productively using his/her time, as to not do so, could raise questions in most employers minds regarding work ethic.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
TVSG, Its natural to ask what people have been doing during gaps, just as actively employed candidates are asked what they do in their jobs. Some may be turned off, some may not ask, but still may view the unemployed candidate less favorably, especially in fast-changing fields. A good rule of thumb, IMO, in 2012, is the unemployed candidate to be hired, must be head and shoulders above the rest in education, training, demonstrated work ethic, and productively using his/her time, as to not do so, could raise questions in most employers minds regarding work ethic.
I heard of "tell me a little about yourself" but definitely not "What were you doing during this time?"

I think I would just walk out and leave because i would feel the interview took a turn for the worst and they don't plan to hire me anyway so why continue to sit here?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 AM

Employers will usually infer open ended questions such as your employment at XYZ ended 1/2009, and at ABC you started at 8/2009. They generally do not ask what you did with the time that was productive, but to not realize you best provide a good answer is missing the real reasons employers often read off stuff on a resume. First, in the event candidate fudged stuff, most will trip up on the issue, and second by reading end and start dates that have gaps, it infers the candidate should provide the answer as to how the time was used well.

Very often, the subtle aspects of an interview spell the difference b/w who was hired, and who was not.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:54 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Employers will usually infer open ended questions such as your employment at XYZ ended 1/2009, and at ABC you started at 8/2009. They generally do not ask what you did with the time that was productive, but to not realize you best provide a good answer is missing the real reasons employers often read off stuff on a resume. First, in the event candidate fudged stuff, most will trip up on the issue, and second by reading end and start dates that have gaps, it infers the candidate should provide the answer as to how the time was used well.

Very often, the subtle aspects of an interview spell the difference b/w who was hired, and who was not.
how is that subtle? anyone with half a brain could tell that was a question about gaps. maybe the "tell me about yourself" or "tell me about what brought you here" type questions are more subtle ways to get at that info

Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Asking what you did at Comapny ABC makes a lot more sense at a interview instead of what did you do during this time you were unemployed. The fact that asking about white space has nothing to do with the job should be clear to anyone they are not getting the job. And if I get that question tomorrow I will politely excuse myself and leave the interview-lol

Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM

I was being kind. Its not subtle, but if TVSG is only counting explicit questions about gaps, indicators like the above are eluding him. If the candidate misses what they are expected to do, they are toast. The manager won't tell them; most likely he'll continue the interview to a normal duration, but the odds are, the candidate cannot recover from their failure to recognize the type of response expected.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Asking what you did at Comapny ABC makes a lot more sense at a interview instead of what did you do during this time you were unemployed. The fact that asking about white space has nothing to do with the job should be clear to anyone they are not getting the job. And if I get that question tomorrow I will politely excuse myself and leave the interview-lol
It seems you've never been in the position of hiring and yet you choose to ignore and dismiss the insight of those who have been in such a position. What might seem patently clear to you as an unemployed job applicant may well be completely the opposite of what is fact. To even contemplate walking out of an interview if you're asked a question which you assume means you're not in the running seems like an action akin to shooting yourself in the foot. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search