Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzed View Post
Well, perhaps. I actually sent them an unsolicited resume at first and was told that they can't accept it because the process has to be open and fair. Then they told me that they happened to recently advertis for the job that I was asking about and directed me to the website.

As for the degree, it's not relevant to the job. Most people who do this job probably have a degree in English but no degree is ever relevant to do this sort of work. But this place specifically asked for a degree in politics. I have such a degree.

As for experience, again, there are perhaps 100 people who do this job. I don't think that many of these 100 are looking for work. They probably hired somebody without any direct experience.
They probably thought they couldn't afford you since you have so many years of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 04:44 PM

23 posts, read 94,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They probably thought they couldn't afford you since you have so many years of experience.
It's a government job. The salary is fixed. And it wasn't a high-paying job which is another confusing aspect. I can't imagine that many qualified people were banging the door down to get a tedious, low-paying job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Perhaps you are just so wonderful and awesome the interviewer was too intimidated to call you.
Could be that I'm overqualified. The job I applied for wasn't what I want to do but it's the only job they hire for. You have to be promoted from within in order to do the job that I already do. Maybe they thought that I wouldn't want to start with a lesser position.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:05 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
Quote:
Also, they hired someone younger.
Hate to say it, but most likely the case.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzed View Post
Could be that I'm overqualified. The job I applied for wasn't what I want to do but it's the only job they hire for. You have to be promoted from within in order to do the job that I already do. Maybe they thought that I wouldn't want to start with a lesser position.
That's it! They knew you really weren't interested in this job, that your goal was to move up ASAP.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
telling the real reason u didnt get hired, got fired refused to serve a client, refuse to speak to a co worker, will all get u sued and fired.
remember even the accusation be it ever so false of discrimination under EEOC law has a real and damaging effect. choose your words carefully they can and will be manipulated.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 PM

Since it's a government job, she has a right to know why she didn't get hired. I believe there is an appeals process. How else do those discrimination lawsuits against the government happen. People literally are provided the information about the other candidates and why they were chosen first. I'm not saying the OP is in a protected group, I'm just saying that she does have a right to know since it's a government agencie. I have no idea how she should go about it. Perhaps write a letter asking the reason is the best place to start. The reality is that a minority could have been selected or someone with a military background. I'm talking out of my *ss here. This is all assumption. But I do believe the government has to provide full disclosure for how government jobs are filled.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Since it's a government job, she has a right to know why she didn't get hired. I believe there is an appeals process. How else do those discrimination lawsuits against the government happen. People literally are provided the information about the other candidates and why they were chosen first. I'm not saying the OP is in a protected group, I'm just saying that she does have a right to know since it's a government agencie. I have no idea how she should go about it. Perhaps write a letter asking the reason is the best place to start. The reality is that a minority could have been selected or someone with a military background. I'm talking out of my *ss here. This is all assumption. But I do believe the government has to provide full disclosure for how government jobs are filled.
trust me on this one, and i am in a position to know, u give them a reason, but never the real reason, ever.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
That is not true. Anyone can do a public disclosure request for any documents, emails, even salaries, but not personnel hiring/performance records, those are still kept private. When asked a followup question by a rejected candidate we (managers) do not respond but refer it to HR. They may make suggestions for improvements to help the person in the future but will not give any detail as to the reason a person was not hired. Simply that we decided to go with someone else that we thought was the best fit.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 AM

5 posts, read 6,386 times
Hemlock, thats 100% truth.

I would never tell a candidate why they were not hired, thats opening a door to the EEOC, and a world of headachrs I dont really want or need

Most of the time people move on, sometimes though, you get the eternal hopeful, who calls and applies for months I had one call for nearly eight months until we told him we would call the police, its harassment, etc.

People who arent in hr really never see how some job seekers act, the insanity they pull in interviews, and so on.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That is not true. Anyone can do a public disclosure request for any documents, emails, even salaries, but not personnel hiring/performance records, those are still kept private. When asked a followup question by a rejected candidate we (managers) do not respond but refer it to HR. They may make suggestions for improvements to help the person in the future but will not give any detail as to the reason a person was not hired. Simply that we decided to go with someone else that we thought was the best fit.
Do you work for the government?

As I said, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but these dicrimination lawsuits against the government for the most qualified person not being hired happen because someone gets the information about who was hired over a more qualified candidate from a protected class. Somehow, someone is able to get that information about government positions or these lawsuits wouldn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search