Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:01 PM

23 posts, read 94,852 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for a job where I fit every single requirement and then some. I had several years of work experience doing the same job and I have the exact degree that they're looking for. I think I was an extremely strong candidate for this job. It's also a very specialized job and there's literally perhaps 100 people in the country who do this sort of work. And of those 100, maybe three also have the degree that this place was looking for.

In normal circumstances, if I don't get a job, I just let it go. And I currently have a job so I'm not yet that desperate. But the fact that this job so perfectly fits what I've been doing for much of my life and I didn't even get an interview is completely baffling.

I got the usual form letter about there being strong candidates for this job. I don't want to overemphasize this but genuinely I doubt highly that there was anybody even approaching my level of qualifications for this job.

Is there any use in asking for a more specific reason why I wasn't put forward? Has anybody ever even received an honest reply to this question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 02:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Was this job in a different city? It's possible that there was an applicant that didn't need to relocate.

And I find it difficult to believe that only three peole in the entire country posess a degree in a specific field.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Same city that I live in. And it's just a politics degree. Loads of people have that. But of the 100 people who do this sort of work in this country, I'd guess that three have a degree in politics. It's not relevant to the job but this particular position was in a political organization.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
maybe the job was filled before it was even advertised by an inside candidate

Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
It's not relevant to the job.

I'm guessing that people with more experience and a degree that is relevant will be interviewed.

By the way, I wouldn't talk to you other than to say we decided to go with someone else. Sorry, but there are just too many potentials for lawsuits if I say anything more.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
maybe the job was filled before it was even advertised by an inside candidate
Well, perhaps. I actually sent them an unsolicited resume at first and was told that they can't accept it because the process has to be open and fair. Then they told me that they happened to recently advertis for the job that I was asking about and directed me to the website.

As for the degree, it's not relevant to the job. Most people who do this job probably have a degree in English but no degree is ever relevant to do this sort of work. But this place specifically asked for a degree in politics. I have such a degree.

As for experience, again, there are perhaps 100 people who do this job. I don't think that many of these 100 are looking for work. They probably hired somebody without any direct experience.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzed View Post
I recently applied for a job where I fit every single requirement and then some. I had several years of work experience doing the same job and I have the exact degree that they're looking for. I think I was an extremely strong candidate for this job. It's also a very specialized job and there's literally perhaps 100 people in the country who do this sort of work. And of those 100, maybe three also have the degree that this place was looking for.

In normal circumstances, if I don't get a job, I just let it go. And I currently have a job so I'm not yet that desperate. But the fact that this job so perfectly fits what I've been doing for much of my life and I didn't even get an interview is completely baffling.

I got the usual form letter about there being strong candidates for this job. I don't want to overemphasize this but genuinely I doubt highly that there was anybody even approaching my level of qualifications for this job.

Is there any use in asking for a more specific reason why I wasn't put forward? Has anybody ever even received an honest reply to this question?
The posted position was probably fake because most employers like to fill positions by referrals or with employment agencies. So it sounds like it was nothing wrong on your end just that the job really didn't exist.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM

370 posts, read 1,365,930 times
Sometimes it does seem like there cannot POSSIBLY be that many people applying for some of these jobs.

If you look at requirements, they usually ask for certain skills or abilities or certifications.

If you fit most of them, it can be frustrating to think someone else possible got the job but there are too many reasons that will just make you unhappy.

You will get the right job. Just keep trying.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzed View Post

So if you really are only 3 out of a 100 that best qualifies (which I still find a hint of bias thinking) - that still only gives you 33% chance of getting the job....no?

Point is - what you've listed above is still your POV. No offense, but we all think we should be hired for the job. Otherwise, why apply...? How well YOU think you fit doesn't matter....its how well the hiring manager thinks you fit.

Realistically - the selection process is never totally objective. And there may be a number of reasons why you were not chosen. The best you can do is just let it go and continue on. You can obviously look at what you submitted and see if it clearly communicates your experience (maybe have a peer look at it). Other than that... there's really not much else you can do. As already posted above, liability concerns would prevent them from saying anything more than they simply didn't choose you.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,406 times
Perhaps you are just so wonderful and awesome the interviewer was too intimidated to call you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search