Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:43 AM

486 posts, read 992,503 times

Advertisements

Yup...I am venting here folks, so be prepared for negativity.

In my warped opinion, interviewing for a job is one of the crappiest experiences one has to go through in life. I hate interviewing for jobs, I always have, I always will.

I had an in person interview yesterday for an administration assistant position at a health care distributor. The same company my father retired from back in 1994. So yeah, I kind of know about the company considering I heard about it from my father while I was growing up.

Anyway, I consider this interview my second interview as I already had one interview over the phone with their recruiter. (from all the job experts out there, I am sure I am WRONG and this in person interview is really my FIRST interview, [sigh]).

I wear my suit. I bring extra copies of my resume and a copy of the job description. The interview was at 2:00 pm. I arrive at 1:50 pm, wait in my car until 1:54 pm and walk in the reception area at 1:55 pm.

I am prompt, dependable and prepared, just like they tell all of us unemployed losers to do when we are interviewing for a job.

I get my little badge and wait ten minutes.

The HR Director (HR Gal) (with the largest nose I have ever seen on a woman in person, I kid you not) and Operations Manager (OM Guy) come out and greet me at 2:10 pm. We go into a really HOT office, I leave my coat on because they didn't ask to take it and there was no where to put it. Plus I figured I wouldn't be there that long as I saw the faces on the two when they greeted me and I can guarantee you they were thinking:

"MY GOD SHE IS FREAKIN' OLD! I CAN'T WORK WITH MY GRANDMA!"

Well, really, I am 45 years old (and I dyed my hair for this interview, oh the shame, what was I thinking?). HR Gal and OM Guy looked to be about 30-35 years old. So I guess I could be their mother, or a much older step sister...

The interview is the same old same old:

...what are your strengths...

...blah, blah, what are your weaknesses...

...WHY DO YOU HAVE GAPS ON YOUR RESUME YOU LOSER...

...you have a lot of computer skills but we don't need someone with THAT much computer skills...

...blah, blah, where do you see yourself in five years, blah, blah...

Interview questions are so damn tiring.

I felt like telling HR Gal and OM Guy as they were droning on, that I could run circles around this job AND probably run circles around THEIR jobs as well. Hey, I may be unemployed but that doesn't mean I have to belittle myself and my skills, I know what I can do, and I usually do it well. But I figured they wouldn't take too kindly to that comment, plus they wouldn't have any clue what I was talking about.

The OM guy asked me how I knew about the company, I mentioned my father retired from the company in 1994. They both squinted their eyes and looked at each other, confused. The OM guy said, "I don't think I was here at that time." The HR gal said "Neither was I."

I wanted to laugh at loud and say "unless the company hired you both at the age of 12, I highly doubt you were working here or any job for that matter in 1994."

But I didn't laugh, as we all know laughing at an interview is a NO, NO. Plus the HR Gal and OM Guy were as dry as my rosacea skin gets in the middle of February. Seriously.

At the end of the interview I asked the HR Gal and OM Guy if they were interviewing internal candidates.

They replied: "Yes we are."

I replied: "I figured you were."

The OM guy said "Rick" the recruiter would call me and let me know my status, and that they had to schedule second interviews next week. I thought to myself: "MORE ROUNDS OF INTERVIEWS! UGH!!!!"

Why can't they just promote Suzy in the warehouse to the position and be done with it? Once he said there were internal candidates I knew it was all over for us external candidates. It was all just a terrible ruse.

Whatever.

Even if they were going to hire an external candidate I knew I had no chance in hell of being hired as HR Gal did not like me. She kept making sneery smiles at me whenever I mentioned my HRIS Administrator experience. I wanted to make a sneery smile back to her, but it would just end up looking like I was having a seizure.

Whatever.

The interview ended after 20 minutes. I let myself out, dropping off my little badge at the reception area.

When I got in my car I breathed a sigh of relief and said to myself "Thank God I am not getting THAT job. I would go crazy trying to find ways to NOT go crazy sitting in a hot stuffy building with boring office drones."

I get home at 3:30 pm. At 5:30 pm I get THE EMAIL.

It said:
------------------------------------
We appreciate your time and effort in pursuing a career with our company. However, the Asst II, Administration-Days-NY position, reference number 12001454, has been filled.
--------------------------------------

Wow, the HR gal sure works fast, that is a new one for HR. Amazing how they can fill the position so quickly considering the OM guy told me they had another round of interviews to go through next week.

Maybe Suzy got the job?

CONGRATS SUZY!

YOU GO GIRL!

I guess "Rick the recruiter" was too busy to pick up the phone and call me.

Whatever.

Time to brew some beer and have some fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Who says you can't laugh at an interview?

It seems more like your attitude killed the interview more than anything else. When you think you're better than someone, it shows. No matter how you try to hide it, there are a thousand little signals.

Imagine it from their perspective: some lady coming in, looking down on them, being super pessimistic, etc. Would you want to work with that person?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Sorry. I agree that interviewing can be the pits...... but what's the alternative?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Peebola....I have not laughed out loud so hard in ages. Thank you!!! I totally get you, I have said the very same thing to my hubby about the "ruse" I resent having my time, energy and resume wasted. I do not understand the grumpy previous poster, he may be related to OM Guy....or HR Gal..smile.
You are someone that I would adore working w/, if I had a position I would hire you for that wry witt and humor. I hope you find a wonderful job. I can work circles around those folks too and I have 15 yrs on you!! Thanks again for the wonderful humor.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post

Imagine it from their perspective: some lady coming in, looking down on them, being super pessimistic, etc. Would you want to work with that person?
I have to agree, if you hate interviews that much it will show, and put people off. Much of the evaluation process is based on body language and attitude. For me, the best candidate will not only meet/exceed the requirements but will demonstrate in the interview that they really want the job. When we have an internal candidate or two we still consider the outside people and always select the best person. I have hired 3 people in the last year from the outside despite interviewing inside people. If we have one qualified internal candidate we can save time and money by not opening it up to the public, but most of the time I'd rather see who else might be available and hire the best person to help meet our division goals.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
I appreciate your pain. My prior employer filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy and closed in 7/09, I was 57 at that time. I am now 60 and still unemployed. I was asked the same questions which is ridiculous especially the one "where would you like to be in 5 years". I was a Payroll Administrator and a one person department however I applied for entry level jobs, grocery store jobs, data entry jobs and dollar store jobs. Nothing. I would have thought at 45 you would have had a better shot at a job than I but guess not. I'm sorry but if its any consolation which I'm sure it isn't you are not alone.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
These HR types have to do something to justify working a full time job so they fill their days doing interviews with people they have no intention of hiring because they already have the position filled. That's likely what happened to you. They can say I did X number of interviews and see how busy I was today? ...even though it's just make work. Too bad they wasted your day.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:22 AM

486 posts, read 992,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Sorry. I agree that interviewing can be the pits...... but what's the alternative?
Counterfeiting money, winning the lottery, death.

Those are the alternatives I can think of for my current financial situation that does not require interviewing for jobs.

However, I may have the opportunity for going into business in the near future so I guess there is always hope, even for the hopeless. I just "hope" my savings hold out until then.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 AM

58 posts, read 56,954 times
No offense, but just going by that post, OP, you sound like a pompous, arrogant, negative and bitter individual and I wouldnt have hired you either.

It sounds like you were stuffy and stiff through out the interview, and like the other guy said, you were looking down on both of them, and they sensed it.

Im sorry youre older and having trouble finding employment, but thats life, thats reality.
A company is not going to hire many people over the age of 55 for positions anymore, they attribute it with hiring a person who is set in their ways, and will be leaving shortly anyways, and or take sick days because of their age/ etc etc.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Sounds like your attitude sucks more than the interview process itself. Without an interview, how else are they going to get to know you and if you would work well at the company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search