Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 PM

934 posts, read 1,937,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
Oh here we go, offering no useful advice, just casting your judgment on people who use recreational drugs because the government says it's wrong. Yet I'm sure you're someone who has gotten drunk several times in your lifetime.

When you make the decision to use drugs recreationally, you are making the decision to pre-emptively cancel yourself out of that part of the job market (that tests). You have to decide what's more important.

That is/was your choice. Actions have consequences. That's not a morals judgement, its a statement of fact. I couldn't care less what drugs you ingest....but I'm not your potential employer, either.

In the future, decide which is more important to you and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
What about trying a hair detox shampoo?

I found one for 70 bucks online and it looks like there's some other sites that say it works well. Is it worth a shot?
OP, you don't make a lot of sense.

1) this new job sounds like it would be a long commute

2) you said your current work environment is fine

3) there is no way to pass a hair test

4) you have to take a vacation day

And maybe the $70 shampoo makes you go bald.

Last edited by seain dublin; 03-05-2012 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 02:41 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

2) you said your current work envrionment is fine

Maybe he's high on something. :-)

Sorry, I can't resist.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:03 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Not really, just the site that the interview is at

2) you said your current work environment is fine
No room for growth beyond my current position, I am fine, doing well, making money, but thinking about my future and it doesn't always hurt to look for a job that pays more money

Actually the research I've done says this simply is not true

If it's for a job that looks promising, it doesn't matter losing the vacation day

You're right, maybe the shampoo is a sham. Talking to a friend of a friend now who has used it and successfully dodged the drug test in the past via hair. So we'll see what happens.

Ultimately, I think I just need to give up smoking. I'm not blaming anyone else for my decisions or actions, I know many of you would like to spin it that way, but I am responsible and I'm accepting my consequences. This situation has made me realize the one time a month I get high just isn't worth it. I still believe people should be able to do what they want with their bodies with the exception of certain jobs that require attentiveness and alertness. So those of you who were holding out for a "moral" realization that drugs are evil and no one should do them you can stop holding your breath.

This is for a sales job, sitting at a desk. I haven't used a sick day in 2 years, I have all my vacation days saved up from last year and can only save up another 5 days before I start to lose them. I've seen many of my colleagues come to work hung over and still drunk from the events the companies host and serve alcohol at but of course that's "acceptable" by the government and employers these days, but for a guy who responsibly smokes once a month at a concert or event to take a load of stress off is an outcast and should be terminated. Government even lets women kill the child in their bodies but she can't take drugs that leads to unhealthy side effects. Not claiming I'm pro-life/pro-choice in anyway, just saying it's pretty funny what's considered right and wrong in this country.

That's fine, it's not that important to me, I'll give it up. I guess I gotta wait like what, 90 days? 6 months? Everything I've read so far that most hair tests go back 90 days, few go back 6 months. Nothing has said it goes back longer than that. If someone knows of a resource that says so I'd be glad to see you cite it.

Thank you.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:07 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Smoke crack instead.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times
Quote:
You're right, maybe the shampoo is a sham. Talking to a friend of a friend now who has used it and successfully dodged the drug test in the past via hair. So we'll see what happens.

Ultimately, I think I just need to give up smoking. I'm not blaming anyone else for my decisions or actions, I know many of you would like to spin it that way, but I am responsible and I'm accepting my consequences. This situation has made me realize the one time a month I get high just isn't worth it. I still believe people should be able to do what they want with their bodies with the exception of certain jobs that require attentiveness and alertness. So those of you who were holding out for a "moral" realization that drugs are evil and no one should do them you can stop holding your breath.

This is for a sales job, sitting at a desk. I haven't used a sick day in 2 years, I have all my vacation days saved up from last year and can only save up another 5 days before I start to lose them. I've seen many of my colleagues come to work hung over and still drunk from the events the companies host and serve alcohol at but of course that's "acceptable" by the government and employers these days, but for a guy who responsibly smokes once a month at a concert or event to take a load of stress off is an outcast and should be terminated. Government even lets women kill the child in their bodies but she can't take drugs that leads to unhealthy side effects. Not claiming I'm pro-life/pro-choice in anyway, just saying it's pretty funny what's considered right and wrong in this country.

That's fine, it's not that important to me, I'll give it up. I guess I gotta wait like what, 90 days? 6 months? Everything I've read so far that most hair tests go back 90 days, few go back 6 months. Nothing has said it goes back longer than that. If someone knows of a resource that says so I'd be glad to see you cite it.

Thank you.
Totally agree with everything u said. I would rather have an employee who smokes than one who drinks. Thats said its not how it is. Personally im jot willing not to partake for a job so i staryed my own company best thing i ever did. Thank u stupid drug testing policies for forcing ke to look into other options

Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
When you make the decision to use drugs recreationally, you are making the decision to pre-emptively cancel yourself out of that part of the job market (that tests). You have to decide what's more important.

That is/was your choice. Actions have consequences. That's not a morals judgement, its a statement of fact. I couldn't care less what drugs you ingest....but I'm not your potential employer, either.

In the future, decide which is more important to you and move on.

I agree. Don't smoke while looking for a job. If currently employed and not looking, feel free

Old 03-05-2012, 04:10 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,386 times
Interesting demographic on this forum. I don't smoke because of medical/personal issues, but from my experience, a very high percentage of young professionals partake in the activity. Even when I was looking for roommates in Chicago, a huge majority of the ads said "we are 4/20 friendly" or "you must be 4/20 friendly." It just seems like a very popular pass time.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of cancelling the interview and not wasting my time. Is there a chance I pass? Is there a chance they see I didn't smoke that many times and overlook it and hire me anyway?
Go to the interview! They won't test you at the interview, only if they offer you the job. The hiring process may time a long time before they chose a candidate. It's 3 months from the last time you smoked if you're a heavy smoker. For light smokers, it could be out of your system in 4 weeks. When was the last time you smoked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Given that the test goes back 90 days, that means it is a hair test, not urine.
You have no way of knowing it's a hair test. Marijuana can show up in urine up to 90 days later for people who are heavy users.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Well I'll just cancel the interview then. I don't want to waste vacation time on something I have no chance at getting.

Is it acceptable to inform them of why I am cancelling the interview? Should I just email the guy and say "hey, thanks for your interest, but I don't think I would pass the drug test so I'm cancelling the meeting"...?
Just saw that you canceled. I think that was unnecessary. Anyways, it would be foolish to tell them the reason you canceled. That would ruin your chances for an opening in the future even if you could pass the drug test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search