Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

Update: I got an email back from the recruiter and I went in to the offices to meet him. This recruiter is actually in his mid to late 30's, so that was a nice change. And it wasn't a wasted visit. There's actual contract possibilities--at least there's something for me to apply to/be submitted to, so good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 04:18 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
Do you ever see companies not going thru recruiters in the future though? I get so many of these come on in for a visit and send me your resume only to never hear back, its ridiculous
companies are using recruiters more and more. I see it getting worse in the future, not better.

Everything is getting outsourced. Most companies these days don't do their own payroll, advertising, etc. And recruiting is no different. Some companies I work with have internal recruiting departments and still hire us for help.

so in the future I see more and more companies doing this. And I think it's a shame honestly. It makes the process even more cold and less personal, and most recruiters treat people like objects rather than human beings. The profession sort of objectifies people to the point where you forget it's a person on the other end of the phone.. a person who's trusting you with their career.

Anyway long rambling answer, sorry. My answer is : no, unfortunately I see it becoming more and more widespread. i'd be happy to see it go the other way but I can't imagine how it would.

More companies do temp-to-perm and stuff like that these days too and all kinds of other ploys to avoid giving you benefits for 3-6 months, and to make it less of a headache to fire you early on if they don't like you

Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Recruitment agents here in Australia are generally buffoons of the lowest order. They run hot and cold and flucuate more than a fiddler's elbow...

I do wonder whether their key performance measures are based around more how many CVs they can attract for a position - that is, they cast the net out far and wide with promises of all things great, and then have little follow through.

Sometimes positions are generated on job search engines and then get "pulled" after you've enquired about it. Often the blame is attributed to the organisation pulling the position due to a lack of funding, but some people believe the job ad is of a position that never existed in the first place - again a ruse to attract more CVs and update their databases. Or they may then approach the organisation and try to convince them to "create" the position, armed with a bunch of CVs.

Annoyingly, they'll say things such as "I'll email through to you details of this position now" and it just does not happen.

I have no evidence to substantiate any of this, but having spoken to other people in my position, they have had similar experiences and suspicions.

But it can be said with certainty is that they often behave unprofessionally i.e. not returning calls when they say they will etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 PM

Through my outplacement company I took one of their online seminars. This one was "working with recruiters." Talk about some mythical creature who doesn't exist. In this seminar the instructor encouraged one to build an ongoing relationship with their recruiters. I asked, "and how does one go about that when the recruiters don't return calls or emails and they're gone from the firm in the next year or two?" Duuhhhhh. <sounds of crickets chirping>

Old 03-14-2012, 10:47 AM

And....sleazy recruiter trick 101....

Got a call from yesterday's contract recruiter and suddenly he's telling me the job now pays $5K less a year than he told me yesterday and "that's as high as the client will go."

Well, the "client" only cares about the total amount they have to pay, not *my* portion of that. Obviously this recruiting firm is trying to get the most profit out of it but they are lowballing me. I said "no" to the number he threw out today. Then he asked me my bottom line price (used car salesman, anyone?). I threw back the number he quoted yesterday, which was already quite a bit lower than what contractors are making elsewhere, and now he wants to bring me down further for this client? No way.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:54 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times
They will make you nuts.

Try to find your own job.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
And....sleazy recruiter trick 101....

Got a call from yesterday's contract recruiter and suddenly he's telling me the job now pays $5K less a year than he told me yesterday and "that's as high as the client will go."

Well, the "client" only cares about the total amount they have to pay, not *my* portion of that. Obviously this recruiting firm is trying to get the most profit out of it but they are lowballing me. I said "no" to the number he threw out today. Then he asked me my bottom line price (used car salesman, anyone?). I threw back the number he quoted yesterday, which was already quite a bit lower than what contractors are making elsewhere, and now he wants to bring me down further for this client? No way.
You should have seen my thread when everyone was encouraging me to accept a $11.00 an hour job from a temp agency-lol That lady was trying to low ball me too and I told her NOT INTERESTED

Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
That's why you need to incorporate yourself and contract for a company as a 1099. The trick is how to make the connections to do this. However, since you don't have to pay the overhead to the agency, your share will be very substantial.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM

Yes, that would be ideal if I had connections. As it stands now, I have zero, zip, nada.

And yes, for those reading along, I know there are tax consequences and other legal considerations to incorporating, but that wouldn't daunt me because it's learnable and do-able.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:50 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Honestly, I think about 99% of all recruiters are a complete waste of time. I'll get calls for these contract gigs that are lower level and pay less than my FTE position. When I hear one that sounds promising, I'll return the recruiter's call, but will never hear back. I think they just cast their net very wide, hoping something will stick. In addition, many of them do not have the subject matter expertise in my field, so it is often a waste of time for either myself or the hiring manager.
It's like 99% of test wells being dry but when you get to the hundredth it is a gusher. You have to keep trying other recruiters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search