Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM

386 posts, read 1,051,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Honestly, I think about 99% of all recruiters are a complete waste of time. I'll get calls for these contract gigs that are lower level and pay less than my FTE position. When I hear one that sounds promising, I'll return the recruiter's call, but will never hear back. I think they just cast their net very wide, hoping something will stick. In addition, many of them do not have the subject matter expertise in my field, so it is often a waste of time for either myself or the hiring manager.
Agree completely. Its sad that really good employees can no longer talk to the companies themselves, as you have to go thru a recruiter who doesn't know a spark plug from a headlight, but will be more than happy to "send your resume on" and never call you back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 PM

386 posts, read 1,051,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
they call a ton of ppl.

i'm a recruiter right now (no stupid temp contract crap, i just do permanent full time placement). but i call a lot of people, so if somebody tells me something like "yea i just got married and bought a new house, so i'm not looking to relocate" or something like that, i'm 95% sure to forget by that afternoon.

But once i get back on the phone with you and you remind me, i'll remember you.

but yea that's ****ty what he did. did you send him a resume? some recruiters have quotas of resumes/meetings they need to get per week. which means they'll lead people on and meet with them or ask for a resume even if they know they're not right for the role, which really sucks and wastes a lot of people's time.

i don't meet with people cause i place people across the entire country in a specific industry, so fortunately i don't have to waste anyones time by having them drive to my office, etc. Which has been done to me by recruiters during my job search. really pissed me off, i wanted to go tear their entire office apart the next day. Probably should have =)
Do you ever see companies not going thru recruiters in the future though? I get so many of these come on in for a visit and send me your resume only to never hear back, its ridiculous

Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
LOL.

I have no criminal record at all! And my financial situation and credit are good. I've got 25+ years relevant work experience, an advanced degree, and live a clean (if somewhat boring) life. My Facebook profile is completely hidden, and there are no embarrassing photos or updates or anything on there. Unless someone is aghast at seeing a picture of my cat...which they wouldn't be able to see anyway, because my profile and all content is kept blocked!
One word: LinkedIn

I am about to be hired on at a new company that will nearly double what I make now in base salary.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,227 times
The next person on the list probably answered the phone when they called and was hired, then they had no use for you any more and put you and the position out of their mind. You were back to chopped liver and nobody gives chopped liver the time of day OR a courtesy call.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 PM

436 posts, read 1,347,728 times
The agency recruiter or Kelly Services type places aren't in business to find you a job. They're in business to fill job orders from an employer. I'm a corporate recruiter and those people drive me insane. For some positions I have, I can't talk with everyone -- especially those who are wildly unqualified and apply anyway. However, if you're what I need, you bet your bottom dollar, I'll call.

Hint: do whatever you can to get on the phone with the recruiter, the hiring manager, the person who has the influence to get you an interview. I get calls all the time from people who see my name with no number tied to a certain position (usually a clerical position or one that is considered desirable by the masses where the number of resumes received is overwhelming) but find my number tied to a harder to fill position. If you get me on the phone, I'll talk with you.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
One word: LinkedIn

I am about to be hired on at a new company that will nearly double what I make now in base salary.
I've been on LinkedIn for almost 7 yrs now. I joined back when no one was using it (or very few people).

Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Last Thurs, late afternoon got a call and an email from recruiter @ company I've already met with and applied through, though it's been about 3 months since I last spoke to them. This is a different recruiter than the one I met with prior.

I return this recruiter's call Friday morning. He had given me his cell# as his contact number, so I used that. He was obviously still at home (it was 9:20am). He didn't seem to remember too much about the fact that HE called me 16 hrs before. He then said he wanted to meet. I let him know I had been to their offices once before and had also been interviewed for a contract position at that time, but sure, we could meet and I would come in again.

He promised to let me know his availability when he got into the office on Friday. Nope. Never heard from him. I just emailed him this morning to follow up (since he obviously did not). Phone doesn't seem to be the best with this guy, so I'm using email (and not just relying on phone calls).

But seriously? Why so hot to trot Thursday between 4pm and 5pm but then by Fri morning it's who? (yawwwn?) and then flake out.

This, btw, has happened with just about every recruiter I've attempted to work with!

How old is this guy? I'm guessing in his 20s.

He most likely made you the last call of the day on Thursday afternoon as he headed to a Happy Hour. Which continued on until 12am.

You woke him up when you called him at 9:20am on Friday, as he was either not going into work or going in late.

This is what you have in positions like this today, ain't it great.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Yes! I assumed he hit up a happy hour until the wee hours. Most of these recruiters / contract recruiters I've met have been in their mid-20's. For some it's their first or second job out of college. They tend to be young, good looking, fresh-faced kids, designed to appeal to the uber-notsodeep hiring managers at area tech companies.

Rock on, dude.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
The next person on the list probably answered the phone when they called and was hired, then they had no use for you any more and put you and the position out of their mind. You were back to chopped liver and nobody gives chopped liver the time of day OR a courtesy call.
That sounds really stupid that a recruiter won't leave a message and give you atleast that day to return their call. If someone has a professional voicemail greeting I see no reason why a recuiter wouldn't leave a message.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
The agency recruiter or Kelly Services type places aren't in business to find you a job. They're in business to fill job orders from an employer. I'm a corporate recruiter and those people drive me insane. For some positions I have, I can't talk with everyone -- especially those who are wildly unqualified and apply anyway. However, if you're what I need, you bet your bottom dollar, I'll call.

Hint: do whatever you can to get on the phone with the recruiter, the hiring manager, the person who has the influence to get you an interview. I get calls all the time from people who see my name with no number tied to a certain position (usually a clerical position or one that is considered desirable by the masses where the number of resumes received is overwhelming) but find my number tied to a harder to fill position. If you get me on the phone, I'll talk with you.
They are in business to fill job orders and offer low pay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search