Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 AM

674 posts, read 1,159,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Yeah slick, it isn't about legality or health, it is about potentially not getting a job.

Good god the stupidity.
I have a job, thank you. I don't NEED this job. That's the difference. If I were unemployed and NEEDED a job then yes, it would be stupid to be doing recreational and illegal drugs.

Obviously you're not half as smart as you think you are or you just don't know how to read.

And I'm going to land this job, I'll be sure to share with all of you when I do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,172,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
I have a job, thank you. I don't NEED this job. That's the difference. If I were unemployed and NEEDED a job then yes, it would be stupid to be doing recreational and illegal drugs.

Obviously you're not half as smart as you think you are or you just don't know how to read.

And I'm going to land this job, I'll be sure to share with all of you when I do
Let me tell you a story champ.

There is a girl I know, from about five years ago. She applied to work for my company, and failed the drug test. She was slated to be a co-worker of mine. Now that she failed the test, she will never get a job with any fortune 500 company in my city. People talk, and word spreads. You have a job now. Good for you. You don't need this job, good for you! You fail a drug test once, you put a permanent black mark on your record. Say you lose your job next month, and this happens to you. Was it worth it?

Obviously by your attitude you think you are the biggest bada** out there, but you are completely oblivious. Try thinking 10 years down the line. ok champ?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Let me tell you a story champ.

There is a girl I know, from about five years ago. She applied to work for my company, and failed the drug test. She was slated to be a co-worker of mine. Now that she failed the test, she will never get a job with any fortune 500 company in my city. People talk, and word spreads. You have a job now. Good for you. You don't need this job, good for you! You fail a drug test once, you put a permanent black mark on your record. Say you lose your job next month, and this happens to you. Was it worth it?

Obviously by your attitude you think you are the biggest bada** out there, but you are completely oblivious. Try thinking 10 years down the line. ok champ?
Haha, thanks pops. I've actually had many jobs and been working 10 years in sales. The fact that these drug tests leave a permanent black mark on your record is simply false. Do companies talk? Sure. Would one company who has a good relationship of another say something about your drug test results? Maybe if Company A knew Company B was considering you for a position. You're a old maid spreading rumors if you believe there's a secret list of people who fail drug tests out there.

I don't think I'm a big bada**, I just know BS when people try to make it up. I realize you have an ego to stroke but don't try selling me this garbage because I'm not buying.

P.S. I just got off the phone with him. He is giving me a hair test that goes back 90 in which he knows I'll fail, then give me another in 45 days to see if I've used since the hire date. He reiterated how impressed with me he was and said that even though this would normally be a deal breaker, they are "considering this an opportunity to help me make better decisions". Fine by me, pot isn't that important to me so that's easy to give up.

Also, the buddy of mine he hired before me had a DUI, he told him up front about it, now he's been there over a year and doing very well.

Thanks for all your help those who had sensible contributions.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM

934 posts, read 1,932,877 times
Quote:
I have a job, thank you. I don't NEED this job. That's the difference.

This job obviously means a great deal to you, since you've spent a great deal of time whining about the perceived unfairness of drug-testing on several separate threads here.

I don't wish you ill, but your drug use and obvious egotism/defensiveness here would quickly rule you out of any jobs I had to offer. Maybe its just your 'internet' persona and you really are well-adjusted human being in real life.

I'm sure if this all falls apart due to your obtuseness, you'll be the first to come tell us you were wrong. Funny how everyone here in a dilemma always seems to come back and post that they were right all along...

Rotsa ruck, Shaggy! /cartoonreference

Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Haha, thanks pops. I've actually had many jobs and been working 10 years in sales. The fact that these drug tests leave a permanent black mark on your record is simply false. Do companies talk? Sure. Would one company who has a good relationship of another say something about your drug test results? Maybe if Company A knew Company B was considering you for a position. You're a old maid spreading rumors if you believe there's a secret list of people who fail drug tests out there.

I don't think I'm a big bada**, I just know BS when people try to make it up. I realize you have an ego to stroke but don't try selling me this garbage because I'm not buying.

P.S. I just got off the phone with him. He is giving me a hair test that goes back 90 in which he knows I'll fail, then give me another in 45 days to see if I've used since the hire date. He reiterated how impressed with me he was and said that even though this would normally be a deal breaker, they are "considering this an opportunity to help me make better decisions". Fine by me, pot isn't that important to me so that's easy to give up.

Also, the buddy of mine he hired before me had a DUI, he told him up front about it, now he's been there over a year and doing very well.

Thanks for all your help those who had sensible contributions.
You aren't buying what I am saying because you don't want to admit that I am right.

Answer me this question, yes or no: Do you have a greater chance of being rejected from a job in your future if you smoke pot than if you don't?

Again, please answer yes or no.

EDIT: and I am not an 'old maid spreading rumors', I am a 26 year old guy who already has people like you reporting to him...I am definitely doing something right. If you don't want advice, feel free to not take it.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
This job obviously means a great deal to you, since you've spent a great deal of time whining about the perceived unfairness of drug-testing on several separate threads here.
I can see how you may perceive that smoking is a big deal to me, but it's not. I'm more concerned about my freedom and the expensive and harmful drug war that our government wages on its citizens. I'm a Libertarian, so I may have strong beliefs when it comes to freedom and liberty than others. Some think I'm stupid/immoral/evil for doing something, I say it's my right to do what I please with my body so long as I don't harm anyone else. That's the only thing that bothers me: when people judge me for personal decisions and tell me what I should or shouldn't do with my personal life.

Quote:
I don't wish you ill, but your drug use and obvious egotism/defensiveness here would quickly rule you out of any jobs I had to offer. Maybe its just your 'internet' persona and you really are well-adjusted human being in real life.
Well I hope you don't wish me ill . I understand many jobs do rule out people for drug history, that's their right to do so. I'm not being egotistical and defending myself against harsh attacks may seem negative to some people, but it may be interpreted as confident and persistent which are key attributes to people who work in my field.

Quote:
I'm sure if this all falls apart due to your obtuseness, you'll be the first to come tell us you were wrong. Funny how everyone here in a dilemma always seems to come back and post that they were right all along...
No doubt, I'm sure most people are that way. Just like many of those who have attacked my personal decisions don't come out saying what they've done to be illegal and immoral like ever stolen, lied to someone, had a dui or drinking ticket, aborted a child, cheated on a spouse....

So those that are making judgments on someone they don't even know with a holier than thou attitude are no better than those who don't share when they are wrong.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You aren't buying what I am saying because you don't want to admit that I am right.

Answer me this question, yes or no: Do you have a greater chance of being rejected from a job in your future if you smoke pot than if you don't?

Again, please answer yes or no.

EDIT: and I am not an 'old maid spreading rumors', I am a 26 year old guy who already has people like you reporting to him...I am definitely doing something right. If you don't want advice, feel free to not take it.
What are you right about? That some jobs don't hire people who test positive for marijuana? Is that your genius idea that you're trying to claim supreme knowledge for? If that's what you want then yes, you are right, some companies don't hire people who test positive for cannabis.

I've got 5 years on you, son. Don't go thinking you've got so much more experience than me because you're one step higher on a food chain. I'm sure I've got much more control and freedom with my current position than you do at yours.

Keep in mind, the higher up the ladder you climb, the easier it is to fall. Your job becomes less secure with ever step.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
What are you right about? That some jobs don't hire people who test positive for marijuana? Is that your genius idea that you're trying to claim supreme knowledge for? If that's what you want then yes, you are right, some companies don't hire people who test positive for cannabis.

I've got 5 years on you, son. Don't go thinking you've got so much more experience than me because you're one step higher on a food chain. I'm sure I've got much more control and freedom with my current position than you do at yours.

Keep in mind, the higher up the ladder you climb, the easier it is to fall. Your job becomes less secure with ever step.
Since you didn't answer my question, can I assume you know I am right that you are limiting your future career potential by doing something illegal? Regardless, I will ask it again: Do you have a greater chance of being rejected from a job in your future if you smoke pot than if you don't?

And again, you applying for sales jobs. I already manage people like you. Also, you are over 30 and still smoke pot? Seriously? Grow up already...

Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,896,107 times
Quote:

I own the joint, and won't hire anyone who tests positive for drugs. And I've got more control and freedom with my position than you'll ever have.

How's that for "one step higher on the food chain?"

Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I own the joint, and won't hire anyone who tests positive for drugs. And I've got more control and freedom with my position than you'll ever have.

How's that for "one step higher on the food chain?"
How can you say that? You know nothing about me and I'm pretty sure you can't tell the future.

You have every right to hire and not hire anyone you please. Congratulations.

P.S. I'd be willing to throw down some cash that at least one of your current employees tests positive for illegal substances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search