U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM

70 posts, read 208,130 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I had an HR recruiter reach out to me via LinkedIn about an opening in her advertising agency. I'm a bit unhappy in my current job, so I decided to set up a phone interview with her. Turned out the role was not what I was looking for: it sounded very demanding because it involves multiple accounts and required face-to-face business pitches. I couldn't exactly tell the recruiter I am looking for a low-pressure job because I still want to work at the company, just on another account. So I lied and said I was interested, figuring I could get interview experience if anything. The recruiter said she'd reach out later to set up an interview.

After the call, I talked to a former colleague who happens to work at the company. He informed me that the person who formerly held the position I interviewed for quit because he couldn't handle the stress.

I started to hope the recruiter just simply wouldn't contact me again, but she just sent an email asking when I could come in for an interview. Even though I would like a new job, I am simply not desperate enough to take the time to interview for this opportunity - interview experience or not. How can I let the recruiter know I want to pass on this position, but keep my resume on file for future openings?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 AM

156 posts, read 466,517 times
... the most direct way possible and as soon as possible. Tell them that you'd love to work at their company some time in the future, but timing is bad for you right now.

If you really want to get a job at that company, check-in with that recruiter quarterly.

Good Luck.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,419,463 times
I had a conversation with a recruiter once where I said something like this. The recruiter had a lot of respect for me that I was self aware enough to know it wasn't a good job for me and that I was respectful enough to not waste their time.

"After researching the position further, I do not think I would be a good fit for the role. I don't want to waste your time by going through the process when someone else would be a better candidate. I feel I would be better suited for a position as [name of position here] because of my strengths in[list strengths]."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or