Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,936,526 times

Advertisements

Desparate for a job-I'd focus on the bigger problem, and its not being asked for a password. The reality is there is a ton of diversity in the quantity of opportunities, that has more to do with too little effort seeking a job, too little education, training, skills, and solid references..rather than refusing a password request.

Most likely, if they are not getting many chances, they will not get a job..even if they disclose a password.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,065,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Whether an individual is willing to give up their personal passwords should never factor into a job hiring decision.
That's the decision of the employer. The employer should have control, within legal limits, on how they spend their money. An employer can choose not to hire someone because they drive a prius if they wanted to.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Desparate for a job-I'd focus on the bigger problem, and its not being asked for a password. The reality is there is a ton of diversity in the quantity of opportunities, that has more to do with too little effort seeking a job, too little education, training, skills, and solid references..rather than refusing a password request.

Most likely, if they are not getting many chances, they will not get a job..even if they disclose a password.
I think you got it. The real issue is the fact that many individuals cannot find employment and many employers cannot find qualified individuals.

Last edited by NJBest; 03-26-2012 at 04:44 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 03:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,936,526 times
I'd put the word "some" in front of the word cannot both times.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:26 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,517,439 times
Just say you don't have a Facebook account. And then really delete it, if need be. So if they check to see if you have one, you don't. Simple. How did people survive without Facebook? They managed to have social lives and careers. Whoever give up the password then deserves what additional ills this employer will cause them. Employers like this are autocrats. Autocrats have plenty of enemies.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:42 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,091,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Just say you don't have a Facebook account. And then really delete it, if need be. So if they check to see if you have one, you don't. Simple. How did people survive without Facebook? They managed to have social lives and careers. Whoever give up the password then deserves what additional ills this employer will cause them. Employers like this are autocrats. Autocrats have plenty of enemies.
Good point. Also, over the past few weeks I have encountered more people who either never had it, or deleted it just cause they lost interest. People survived easy without facebook. They saw others in person, talked on the phone or wrote letters. .

Passwords are supposed to be private. Same as an e-mail.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:10 PM

Just because some idiots abuse Facebook by posting stupid things about their employer or coworkers and causing trouble doesn't mean we should all collectively pay the price and "give up our passwords" to the employers. We are not all children. Some us, yes. And those particular foolish people deserve to lose their jobs. I don't feel sorry for them. You learn when you're 5 that if you're going to "talk about someone" make sure they're not listening. I want to say "duh". ??? I suppose some people never learn. However those of us who do use Facebook are not going to just give up our passwords to anyone. My (private) liberty, my "right to privacy" and the pursuit of happiness matters more than some unreasonable employer who wants to make a moral judgment on my character based on the content of my Facebook, as opposed to making a professional judgment based on my professional qualifications. That employer who demands to have the password to any account that belongs to the employee/candidate does not know how to screen and hire people properly. Any unreasonable employer who makes moral judgments on another human being (based on Facebook or anything else) should be running a monastery or religious order, not a professional place of business. I am not required to confess my "sins" to my employer - I only work there and perform my job.

Employers use skills tests, drug tests, a criminal background check and in some instances credit reports for certain occupations to screen people in or out.

The evaluation of someone's Facebook or having the password thereto has nothing to do with professional qualifications.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 PM

A similar thread mentioned that employers want to see tax returns and W-2s.

I am not in favor of giving those up either unless one is seeking a very high C-level position where it is a "common practice" of business to request such documents at the interview or during the hiring process thereafter.

Don't just give away your right to privacy. Many people have shed their blood so that you can have these rights. These are "natural rights."

Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
A similar thread mentioned that employers want to see tax returns and W-2s.

I am not in favor of giving those up either unless one is seeking a very high C-level position where it is a "common practice" of business to request such documents at the interview or during the hiring process thereafter.

Don't just give away your right to privacy. Many people have shed their blood so that you can have these rights. These are "natural rights."
Exactly. Just say no.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,536,289 times
makes me glad I dont have facebook or any of this crap that can increminate oneself.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search