Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 01:59 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,336 times

Advertisements

what's next - a TSA-style patdown first? pre-employment strip searches, or even cavity searches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 PM

398 posts, read 698,039 times
I'm confused as to why a company would want a Facebook password. I imagine many companies out there are concerned about what is visible on their (potential) employees' Facebook pages, which are set up to show the public, or all Facebook users, what kind of person is working for their company. In other words, the company wants to be seen by the public in the best light possible -- this can be considered an invasion of privacy by some, but likely not all. However, asking for the Facebook password implies that the public does not have access to the employee's Facebook page, so I wonder why the company would care what's on the page at all. Am I missing something?

Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,073,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I was simply debating the legality of it. Way too many times on this forum someone will say something is illegal when in fact it is not.
I've been watching this go back-and-forth and would like to add something.

Just because people are doing something and saying it is legal
doesn't mean that it won't be found illegal at some later date.

It's kind of like doing something on your taxes and getting away
with it year-after-year. It just means you didn't get caught.

It might be found in some state supreme court or something that yes, it is just like asking
a job applicant for the keys to their car or house or to look in their safe deposit box.

Of course, maybe it's perfectly legal to ask for all that stuff too ..... ?

Individual rights are going downhill in this country in many respects.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,149,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
I'm confused as to why a company would want a Facebook password. I imagine many companies out there are concerned about what is visible on their (potential) employees' Facebook pages, which are set up to show the public, or all Facebook users, what kind of person is working for their company. In other words, the company wants to be seen by the public in the best light possible -- this can be considered an invasion of privacy by some, but likely not all. However, asking for the Facebook password implies that the public does not have access to the employee's Facebook page, so I wonder why the company would care what's on the page at all. Am I missing something?
Well, if someone has their account set up so all their posts are "public" there would be no need to ask for a password. Most profiles I have come across (people I haven't friended yet, or whatever) are set up so only friends can see most of their info and posts. In that case, the company/hiring mgr would have to be friends with the potential employee to see anything. If you post something negative about your employer, all of your friends can see it, but not the general "public."

It would be much less invasive to send a friend request, but would still give the potential employer access to info they aren't allowed to ask for (marital status, religion). To ask for a password is just beyond. That would not only allow them to SEE all of your info, but to also CHANGE it; and also to see all of your friends' posts.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,140 times
As i explained to my boss last night at work my facebook page for my kids and grandkids to keep up with each other and not for there viewing and if they want to push the issuse on this then we are going to be sitting down with each side having legal counsel in the the room and talking about going forward with a class action suit .

He was also infomed this morning by the head of the legal section that they would also be filing a class action suit if he push it farther on this issuse with people .Most of the mgn staff have talked to lawyers and they are sending letter's to the company legal secion over the fact if the issuse is not droped it they are going forward with a class action lawsuit againest the company for privacy issuse .

He just seams to think that he has the right now to look at all personal facebook pages because of something that a former staff member wrote about him on there personal page .I and other members of the mgn staff along with the inhouse legal counsel have explained to him that it does not matter what a person says about you if they are no longer working for you and if you keep pushing this issuse it going to be a bad idea across the board for the company in the end .

We can not get on the internet at work inless we are on our personal laptop's or ipads or phones and we do not have free wifi in the lounge so it should not matter to the company what the person is doing on there lunch hour with there own personal electronic device that they own .

Most of the personal are using there smart phones or ipads to get on the internet at work so no work computers are beening used for anything other than work along with the office software we use does not allow you to get on the internet .

Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 PM

134 posts, read 367,322 times
My answer would have to be - If you can't find me on facebook yourself, it's none of your damn business. I'm not going to "friend" you and you're not going to get my account access that lets you see all the answers to all the questions you are federally prohibited from asking.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,892,298 times
If you give them access to your account what is to stop them from updating your profile to show that your favorite activity is child molestation and posting bad photos?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,012,488 times
I just have to say that as an employer, I find it appalling that an employer would ask for access to someone's private Facebook account. Like I've stated before, if I can see it, the public can see it, so it is my business. If I can't see it, neither can the public (including my customers) so it's not my business.

Of course if it gets back to me that your are badmouthing my company or customers, we're going to have a chat. A post about having a bad day at work, we all have them and as long as it's a general post, vent away. I posted a few weeks ago about having a bad day where the fax died, my computer was acting up, and I didn't like the color the walls in my office were painted. Generic, not aimed towards anyone, and not offensive to anyone. Except maybe the painting contractor.

A post making derogatory remarks about a customer--even if they are true--my business and something actionable. If it got back to me, it can get back to the customer.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 AM

428 posts, read 900,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I just have to say that as an employer, I find it appalling that an employer would ask for access to someone's private Facebook account. Like I've stated before, if I can see it, the public can see it, so it is my business. If I can't see it, neither can the public (including my customers) so it's not my business.

Of course if it gets back to me that your are badmouthing my company or customers, we're going to have a chat. A post about having a bad day at work, we all have them and as long as it's a general post, vent away. I posted a few weeks ago about having a bad day where the fax died, my computer was acting up, and I didn't like the color the walls in my office were painted. Generic, not aimed towards anyone, and not offensive to anyone. Except maybe the painting contractor.

A post making derogatory remarks about a customer--even if they are true--my business and something actionable. If it got back to me, it can get back to the customer.

So with that said, My question is if you didnt do anything wrong, havent posted anything bad about the company, clients or verbally threatened anyone you work with why do they need your password? I mean honestly if you get my password youll find I post alot of sarcastic stuff.. SHOCKER since I am very sarcastic in my personal life but my work image is just the opposite.. So unless given a justifiable reason you really dont need my passwords... JMO

Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,012,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
So with that said, My question is if you didnt do anything wrong, havent posted anything bad about the company, clients or verbally threatened anyone you work with why do they need your password? I mean honestly if you get my password youll find I post alot of sarcastic stuff.. SHOCKER since I am very sarcastic in my personal life but my work image is just the opposite.. So unless given a justifiable reason you really dont need my passwords... JMO
Uh yeah, isn't that what I was saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search