Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,461 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you could give me a piece of advice how should I act on my future interviews. My situation is difficult and unusual.
After a couple years of working in the same office (in a big public international institution), I started being harassed by my boss (I could write a book about it). I am over it but there are still some unpleasant consequences. He wrote 3 very bad reports about me (4 previous ones were excellent). I tried to contest the 1st bad one but I didn’t have enough power to fight against him (mainly because I had to still work for him + I am a very bad and weak fighter when it comes to face dishonesty and unjustice). I lost the battle. In these 2 years my boss gave me a very hard time so I decided to take unpaid leave in order to “escape”. Now I want to reintegrate the same institution and I know that on each interview the question of my reports will be discussed. I have no official proof of being harassed. I do not want to loose the opportunity to get back there especially that I invested a lot of time to succeed the competition, I left for it my country and also I really enjoyed working there. I do not know how I should act. Maybe someone had a similar experience?
I apologize for my bad English :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,828,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valium View Post
My situation is difficult and unusual.
Your situation isn't unusual. It happens all the time.

Unfortunately many working environments are covered in bad eggs. Sometimes one of the bad eggs will be your boss.

Is there someone else who you can use as a reference? Were you close to anyone there?

Old 03-21-2012, 05:42 PM

831 posts, read 2,820,292 times
Bad situation, can almost never prove harassment. Sorry all you can do is leave and go home.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,122,877 times
If you work for a public institution you go to human resources or the board or council immediately. Once the institution gets involved it's a monkey off your back and they will be responsible. If you say something to them, they are required to interview a number of employees in the department you work for. You then have grounds for suit (which typically get settled every day of the week.) As long as you tell them they immediately have to take action. But, please really consider this as a last option. It gets quite ugly and sullies your reputation for a number of places.

Document, document, document and document. Evey day by day calendar you can just make quick one word notes in it, then put it into your computer with more detail when you get home.

Depending upon your office set up - never be alone with him. If you find that you are at anytime, simply say you need to use the restroom or something and get away from it. When it comes to telephone calls, ask someone in your office if you can borrow them for a second. Put the call on speaker phone. Now you have a witness. Do it every time. You will have to check the rules and regulations regarding recording someone in secret, but if you can get yourself a handheld tape recorder push play and just let it roll all day and put it by the phone if he calls. Again, check the law on that one.

Now, when it comes to new employment do not bring up the word 'harassment' in any way shape or form. Simply say, "It just wasn't a good fit for me.'

Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 AM

Is there someone else who you can use as a reference? Were you close to anyone there?[/quote]

Sure but it counts less than my former boss opinion....

Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM

"It just wasn't a good fit for me.'[/quote]

You remarks are very true. It worked exactly the way you described that is why I gave up on fighting. I see that this is a global problem :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search