Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 03:17 PM

256 posts, read 479,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
I dearly miss HEB and valley avocados and those great big lemon/orange hybrids. Mmm
Oh, and helote stands and agua fresca, and flea markets. *sigh*
Oh, HEB is great, I miss it too... and Texas grapefruits, small but so-o-o sweet... yum! But hey, you may see (and eat ) it all soon enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I'll play Devil's advocate for a moment, at the risk of offending Texans: It's not like the OP is moving from North Carolina to South Carolina, or from New York to Connecticut or New Jersey. Maryland's D.C. burbs to Texas is a big change both culturally and politically. Moves like that are about more than money. Granted, if the OP is from Texas, then she may enjoy it there, especially with family around. But the D.C. area is one of those places where you either love it or hate it, and people who love it there tend to REALLY love it there. If that is the case with the OP, I can see how it's a tough decision to make.

I've lived in the D.C. area and I've been to Texas several times. Honestly, it would take a whole lot more than what the OP is talking about to get me to move from D.C. to Texas, even if my family was there, money be hanged, especially if I were a techie as Virginia has a well-known tech corridor and it might be only a matter of time before the husband lands a job there. Texas is just not my scene.

And if I had three kids, no offense, but my friends in Texas have kids and they're all in Montessori schools because the public school system there is...well...they banned a children's picture book about bears because the author had the same name as someone who wrote a book about Marxism. I'd take Maryland public schools over Texas public schools any day of the week. My ex husband teaches high school science in Maryland, and as far as I know, he hasn't run into any issues with people wanting him to teach "intelligent design," which is something he would have huge issues with. My niece and her husband just moved there with their two wee ones from Florida, and they're thrilled, as well, despite the expense of the area. He's a techie, come to think of it, and it was a transfer within his company.
I live in Maryland and I`m bolting this government controlled state and it`s high taxes at the first chance I get..just like the private business that are fleeing. If it wasn`t for it proximity to D.C. and all of the government and government related jobs, Maryland would be just like California..2 miles over it`s head in debt and no way out. Spend Spend Spend..that`s our motto. Maryland benefits from D.C and it`s dependence on government jobs. So if you are someone that loves high taxes, depends on the government(fellow taxpayers) for your paycheck, or depends on the government for assistance, then yes Maryland is the state for you. A state with a huge deficit and more taxes coming. They are in the top 5 as far as tax rates.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:29 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I live in Maryland and I`m bolting this government controlled state and it`s high taxes at the first chance I get..just like the private business that are fleeing. If it wasn`t for it proximity to D.C. and all of the government and government related jobs, Maryland would be just like California..2 miles over it`s head in debt and no way out. Spend Spend Spend..that`s our motto. Maryland benefits from D.C and it`s dependence on government jobs. So if you are someone that loves high taxes, depends on the government(fellow taxpayers) for your paycheck, or depends on the government for assistance, then yes Maryland is the state for you. A state with a huge deficit and more taxes coming. They are in the top 5 as far as tax rates.
Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
I appreciate all the advice, and to this point positive tone overall of this thread, but this is ridiculous, and you couldn't be more wrong.

I love Texas, except for the schools and racism. My husband hates Texas because he grew up in Wisconsin and it's too hot.
My husband wants the job, not the state. I want him to be happy.
He also is the one coming up with the worries over money. I told him I would live in a tent with the kids and poop in a hole if thats what it took to let him have this job he has talked about for 10+ years. He needs convincing, and information, and well thought out plans for how to make the situation to our advantage. This is why I am here.

I'm not sure where everyone gets that I don't want to move. I have never said that. I have however, tried to come at the discussion from both sides, and presented the pros and cons as seen by myself and my husband.

But just to prove a small portion of my point... I made a statement that we had encountered racism, and despised it, and that we disliked Texas public schools... it was met with two comments of 'please stay away from our state.'

Thank you to everyone else for the positive posts and encouragement. I'm hoping for good things.
If your husband "hates" TX due to the heat(and I can understand that) he needs to be real careful if he ends up taking the job.

And saying anything like "it's too hot here", of "I prefer Wisconsin or Maryland", that's going to go over like a lead balloon.

Especially in a place like TX where state pride is a big deal.

IDK if a "dream job" can be a dream job if you don't like where you're living. At the end of the day your personal happiness has a lot to with liking where you live. I know from personal experience.

Hope it all works out the way you want it, but heading to a state that someone hates for a job, well there is more to life than the job.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Don`t worry it won`t. I`m getting out, like everyone else not on government assistance, while I still have a butt. Enjoy your new gas tax, liquor tax, and food tax.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Sad that threads that start off productive somehow end up in state-bashing.

Anyhow, I lived in four states, two of which were due to my job move and one due to my husband's. We had some preconceived notions of each, but in the end, we always were prepared to make the most of it. In one, I hated the weather or the lack of food choices, but loved the history and school system. In another, I sometimes got frustrated at the laid-backness of people, the driving habits, but thrived in the general warmth of friendships that came naturally. My children had to move in the middle of the semester while in middle school...it was tough for them, but they bounced back and made friends. One place and one situation will never be utopia. Put on your rose colored glasses and start looking at the glass half full in some ways. It's what you make out of it and the family altogether. I always believed, in the end, home is where you make it.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Don`t worry it won`t. I`m getting out, like everyone else not on government assistance, while I still have a butt. Enjoy your new gas tax, liquor tax, and food tax.
Bold type for your edification.

Quote:
When I decided to leave the D.C. area, it was a choice between New York (I'm from Long Island), Chicago, and San Francisco, put it to you that way. And right now, if I were to go back...
Quote:
My niece and her husband just moved there with their two wee ones from Florida, and they're thrilled, as well, despite the expense of the area. He's a techie, come to think of it, and it was a transfer within his company.
So much for your presumptions.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If your husband "hates" TX due to the heat(and I can understand that) he needs to be real careful if he ends up taking the job.

And saying anything like "it's too hot here", of "I prefer Wisconsin or Maryland", that's going to go over like a lead balloon.

Especially in a place like TX where state pride is a big deal.

IDK if a "dream job" can be a dream job if you don't like where you're living. At the end of the day your personal happiness has a lot to with liking where you live. I know from personal experience.

Hope it all works out the way you want it, but heading to a state that someone hates for a job, well there is more to life than the job.
Exactly. I looked forward to moving back to Long Island and working in New York. I liked working in Manhattan just fine, but the nearly 4-hour round-trip commute was a bear. Forget it. So I worked on Long Island proper. Turns out the trade-off for the shorter commute was environment. After about the fourth interview where some dang rube inquired about my marital status, who I voted for in the previous election, and whether I believed in God, I went with a firm that at least had the good sense to avoid those kinds of questions--only to find out it was one of those family-owned places where people yell and scream at each other and air family business in front of vendors. I suppose that could happen anywhere, but to me, that was the final straw. I'd had enough of "northern aggression."

So now I work for myself and I'm enjoying it much better.

And most of my clients are in Maryland!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette;23549664[B
] Maybe I'm just used to living in expensive areas, but $500 a month is not a huge difference to me, and my politics and values are such that I'd rather be broke in a state I agreed with than loaded in a state that drove me crazy, especially nowadays, with the whole red-blue thing, issues with reproductive rights, and so on.[/b] When I decided to leave the D.C. area, it was a choice between New York (I'm from Long Island), Chicago, and San Francisco, put it to you that way. And right now, if I were to go back, it would be the Maryland side, not the Virginia side, even though 23 years in the Commonwealth has me missing true peanut pie, real cornbread, and Seyval Blanc, and I'm a Jeffersonian at heart.
Bolded for your edification. My assumptions were right

Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Sad that threads that start off productive somehow end up in state-bashing.

Anyhow, I lived in four states, two of which were due to my job move and one due to my husband's. We had some preconceived notions of each, but in the end, we always were prepared to make the most of it. In one, I hated the weather or the lack of food choices, but loved the history and school system. In another, I sometimes got frustrated at the laid-backness of people, the driving habits, but thrived in the general warmth of friendships that came naturally. My children had to move in the middle of the semester while in middle school...it was tough for them, but they bounced back and made friends. One place and one situation will never be utopia. Put on your rose colored glasses and start looking at the glass half full in some ways. It's what you make out of it and the family altogether. I always believed, in the end, home is where you make it.
I agree. What is good for one isn`t good for another. We are all different and like different things, believe different things, want different things,etc. The poster put down Texas in a back handed way and I just pointed out that a lot of people aren`t crazy about Maryland or other high tax, big government intrusive states. She said she wouldn`t move to Texas for a lot more money. I just wanted to point out that a lot of people wouldn`t move to Manhatte, San Fran, Chicago, etc. for all the money in the world either.She doesn`t like the politics in certain states and some people in those states couldn`t stand the politics where she lives. It`s all about perspective. Notice how she made derogatory remarks about Texas (I do not live there by the way) but made a snide remark when I mentioned how Maryland wasn`t that great. It`s just the hypocrisy of certain posters that I find remarkable. But certain political leaning people are like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search