Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:55 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,705,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
....and on the flip side, I'm a manager and we would never consider getting rid of a new hire because of something beyond his control that happened.
Agreed. Also, morality aside, getting rid of someone for legitimate use of FMLA is going to put you on some very thin legal ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,890,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, now my perspective as a supervisor...if I hire a new employee, and he comes on board, needing to take time off to be with his sick wife, take care of kids, all that...I have no real vested time with this person, or emotional credit...he is on probation, as a new hire, and already giving me FMLA paperwork...guess what....

Maybe your husband should stay with his current employer.
I would like to think that a new employer hiring someone at this level realizes that this person is quite capable of managing his responsibilities while working around his personal life, especially around a sick wife. I may be wrong but I was under the impression that you would have to have been at work for say a year to be able to apply for FMLA to begin with. My impression is that husband is trying to get a handle on being allowed one-sie two-sie days off to bring his wife to get medical attention or watch the kids while she does this herself. Certainly, any new hire who already has pre-existing plans or conditions is well within their right to offer this information and gauge the level of flexibility the new employer would have. As an example, I recently was invited to interview for another department and was eventually hired two weeks ago. I have a planned vacation in June, at a critical time of the reporting period. I also have a 3-week vacation planned for 2013 in early February. Not being allowed to either one of these is a deal-breaker. I had a commitment that I would be allowed to leave on both, and that being it is so far ahead in advance, accommodations can be made to have someone do the work in my absence. It can be done, it isn't out of the ordinary, and life does happen.

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 03-23-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
You can't get FMLA right away. You have to be there for a year.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Good advice to check with the Insurance Commission in the State of TX what the laws are. I've lived in CA, CT, NC and SC, and my experience is that as long as you have been insured while you had one of these dread diseases, and you are moving on to another group coverage, you can provide (and will be asked to provide) a Certificate of Prior Insurance and you will be covered under the new. I had cancer as well and was never excluded for it. Moving to an individual coverage outside of an employer's plan may be a whole different ball of wax but I don't see that happening in your case. Again, these are guided by the states so please check.
Good advice!

It's the same in New York State.

The pre-existing condition problem is mainly a thing of the past or for those who don't rate good insurance. These days, most mid- to large-sized decent companies have good health insurance that DO NOT have pre-existing conditions clauses. HMO plans almost NEVER have them. It is a thing of the past, unless you are unemployed and in a situation where you have to buy your own cut-rate health insurance. Then the insurance companies unfairly gouge you if they can get away with it.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:23 PM

224 posts, read 545,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally I would see this as a problem. When I evaluate a job offer it isn't only the salary. I look at the entire package (health insurance/vacation/tuition reimbursement/etc.).

I'm not sure how they expect your husband to accept the job without knowing all of the information.
Which is part of why we haven't accepted yet. They offered the job and gave us a salary, and asked if we had questions. Our first question was if they could meet us in the middle on the salary issue, and in the follow up questions, we asked about vacation days too... So we are waiting to find out all of that.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
Which is part of why we haven't accepted yet. They offered the job and gave us a salary, and asked if we had questions. Our first question was if they could meet us in the middle on the salary issue, and in the follow up questions, we asked about vacation days too... So we are waiting to find out all of that.
You would think they would have a standard benefits summary that explained everything.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, now my perspective as a supervisor...if I hire a new employee, and he comes on board, needing to take time off to be with his sick wife, take care of kids, all that...I have no real vested time with this person, or emotional credit...he is on probation, as a new hire, and already giving me FMLA paperwork...guess what....

Maybe your husband should stay with his current employer.
And not to be mean at all, but it is managers like you that we are hoping to get away from .

My illness was sudden and catastrophic, and was after my husband had been at the company for a while. He used all his sick/vacation days getting me to a diagnosis, and by the time I was starting chemo there was no time left.
We couldn't afford unpaid FMLA so he stayed at work and I went to chemo.
By myself. In a taxi. Miserable.
And then at the end of nearly a year of chemo by myself, we even sent the kids to stay in Texas with my mother the WHOLE summer, his manager had the balls to ask my husband how he was even sure I really had cancer since he had never been to any chemo with me.

The nerve. Everyone should have a certain amount of compassion. Even in buisness.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You would think they would have a standard benefits summary that explained everything.
I just went back through the large stack of information they gave him when he interviewed, and sure enough it said in one tiny paragraph.

3 weeks vacation/sick per year for the first 2 years, plus a company wide shutdown from Christmas to New Years, holidays paid, and select software releases.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
I just went back through the large stack of information they gave him when he interviewed, and sure enough it said in one tiny paragraph.

3 weeks vacation/sick per year for the first 2 years, plus a company wide shutdown from Christmas to New Years, holidays paid, and select software releases.
Not too shabby. That is what I get now. I need to be here ten years to get an extra week. Sounds like you get more there after 2 years.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:48 PM

Yeah, you get the extra week in the 3rd year, and more on the 5th year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search