Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
And you are the kind of people who will ruin the IT industry in the US, and then everything else. We need to bring things back home..not keep sending them abroad.
I don't know why you feel you have to get so offensive. Let's be real here, though. It's people like you who do not understand business or the industry that will ruin everything. Outsourcing is effective, efficient, and beneficial for people in the IT industry. The fact that you fail to see that indicates a lot about your lack of understanding on this matter.

Frankly, outsourcing has proven it's value.

I agree about keeping jobs in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
I hate talking to tech support over the phone to begin with and think its horrible to speak to anyone I cant understand.. Thankfully I have techy people in my life so I dont have to deal with the painful process... My question is why anyone would be for Outsourcing?
Not everyone has techie people in-house to assist with technology problems. Those folks have no choice but to outsource their tech support. It certainly is nice to have it in-house, but it just isn't reality for everyone. It's similar to why most people outsource plumbing or electrician work. Most people just don't have plumbers or electricians in-house.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't know why you feel you have to get so offensive. Let's be real here, though. It's people like you who do not understand business or the industry that will ruin everything. Outsourcing is effective, efficient, and beneficial for people in the IT industry. The fact that you fail to see that indicates a lot about your lack of understanding on this matter.

Frankly, outsourcing has proven it's value.

I agree about keeping jobs in the US.
I have yet to see a situation in any company I've ever worked for where outsourcing was cost-effective.

Examples. Not from the media, but from your own personal experience.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have yet to see a situation in any company I've ever worked for where outsourcing was cost-effective.

Examples. Not from the media, but from your own personal experience.
  • I have a large pharmaceutical client that outsources all their hardware support (laptops, servers, etc) to IBM.
  • The same company as above outsources their document disposal to Cintas.
  • Hilton Hotels (which I frequent) outsources their networking to Cisco.

These companies don't have to keep training technical staff. On the other hand, IBM and Cisco must constantly invest in training for their employees. It's a win/win.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
  • I have a large pharmaceutical client that outsources all their hardware support (laptops, servers, etc) to IBM.
  • The same company as above outsources their document disposal to Cintas.
  • Hilton Hotels (which I frequent) outsources their networking to Cisco.

These companies don't have to keep training technical staff. On the other hand, IBM and Cisco must constantly invest in training for their employees. It's a win/win.
In many companies I've worked for, some lower-level I.T. functions were outsourced to India or in-sourced via companies like Wipro and TCS to H1-B holders.

In every instance...every SINGLE one...I spent a significant amount of my time cleaning up after incompetent Indian contractors. (I am a developer.) On projects where Indian contractors were the majority of developer resources, not a single one was completed on time OR on budget when the on-shore projects were regularly completed on schedule and under budget. The Indians also required a good deal of supervision, had to be given very detailed and literal instructions, and in cases where they were "support" staff, all they did was punt the problem back to the onshore teams. They never actually resolved anything.

I've never met a real live I.T. manager who was in favor of outsourcing.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
In many companies I've worked for, some lower-level I.T. functions were outsourced to India or in-sourced via companies like Wipro and TCS to H1-B holders.

In every instance...every SINGLE one...I spent a significant amount of my time cleaning up after incompetent Indian contractors. (I am a developer.) On projects where Indian contractors were the majority of developer resources, not a single one was completed on time OR on budget when the on-shore projects were regularly completed on schedule and under budget. The Indians also required a good deal of supervision, had to be given very detailed and literal instructions, and in cases where they were "support" staff, all they did was punt the problem back to the onshore teams. They never actually resolved anything.

I've never met a real live I.T. manager who was in favor of outsourcing.
There's a big difference between offshoring (a type of ousourcing) and outsourcing in general. Which is why I asked my initial question.

I am a former developer who now owns a consulting firm. My entire business model is based on companies outsourcing their development work to my employees. If the managers didn't like us, they wouldn't keep coming back to us. But they do, so from my experience, managers are for outsourcing. I use HCL America (an Indian consulting firm) to subcontract a lot of our development work for larger projects. I have a small staff, so I need the support for larger projects. Almost none of our work goes offshore due to HIPPA and FDA regulations (thank god). But our clients seem to keep outsourcing to us. This allows them to focus on their products (non-IT) and not have to invest in technical training for developers.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 AM

611 posts, read 1,455,580 times
I work in health Insurance and get these calls all the time. I used to live in Baltimore, and anyone living close to DC, gets these calls.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Does anyone else in the job market get hammered by ridiculous e-mails/phone calls from outsourced Indian recruiters who are trying to fill 3 month contracts 1000 miles from your location for which you don't have the requisite skillset?

I am getting so SICK of these ridiculous phone calls from people with names like "Srinivasta" and "Krishna" who can't pronounce my name correctly and who think you can commute to Long Beach from Dallas.
I manage a few indian contractors, and they ARE willing to commute long distances for a job. One of my guys would drive four hours to be on site every sunday, stay there for the week, then drive home on friday for the weekend.

Unlike a lot of Americans, they actually have a decent work ethic.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Does anyone else in the job market get hammered by ridiculous e-mails/phone calls from outsourced Indian recruiters who are trying to fill 3 month contracts 1000 miles from your location for which you don't have the requisite skillset?

I am getting so SICK of these ridiculous phone calls from people with names like "Srinivasta" and "Krishna" who can't pronounce my name correctly and who think you can commute to Long Beach from Dallas.

I do get emails quite frequently from temp jobs in DC. I usually do meet the requirements, but the pay is insulting. On what planet, would I actually move to take a 30k a year temp job in one the highest cost of living areas in the country?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I manage a few indian contractors, and they ARE willing to commute long distances for a job. One of my guys would drive four hours to be on site every sunday, stay there for the week, then drive home on friday for the weekend.

Unlike a lot of Americans, they actually have a decent work ethic.
You mean they are willing to accept abuse and a seriously degraded standard of living to make you an extra buck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search