Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,467,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I manage a few indian contractors, and they ARE willing to commute long distances for a job. One of my guys would drive four hours to be on site every sunday, stay there for the week, then drive home on friday for the weekend.

Unlike a lot of Americans, they actually have a decent work ethic.
What horrible work ethic we have when we can't work 4 hours away from home and only come home on weekends.

Last edited by sware2cod; 04-10-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,256,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's a big difference between offshoring (a type of ousourcing) and outsourcing in general. Which is why I asked my initial question.

I am a former developer who now owns a consulting firm. My entire business model is based on companies outsourcing their development work to my employees. If the managers didn't like us, they wouldn't keep coming back to us. But they do, so from my experience, managers are for outsourcing. I use HCL America (an Indian consulting firm) to subcontract a lot of our development work for larger projects. I have a small staff, so I need the support for larger projects. Almost none of our work goes offshore due to HIPPA and FDA regulations (thank god). But our clients seem to keep outsourcing to us. This allows them to focus on their products (non-IT) and not have to invest in technical training for developers.
I've bolded the most important thing you said. When people say 'outsourcing', what they mean is 'offshoring'.

Quote:
I manage a few indian contractors, and they ARE willing to commute long distances for a job. One of my guys would drive four hours to be on site every sunday, stay there for the week, then drive home on friday for the weekend.

Unlike a lot of Americans, they actually have a decent work ethic.
LOL...yeah right. I've seen Indians putting in the hours too, but only because it seems to take them 12 hours to accomplish what I can accomplish in 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You mean they are willing to accept abuse and a seriously degraded standard of living to make you an extra buck?
LOL this!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,116,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've bolded the most important thing you said. When people say 'outsourcing', what they mean is 'offshoring'.
Ah. That's a problem. In business, the term outsourcing applies to any work that is not done in-house. For example, a lot of businesses outsource their printing to Kinkos. I outsource my yardwork to a landscaper.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,197,368 times
Quote:
You mean they are willing to accept abuse and a seriously degraded standard of living to make you an extra buck?
So you have such an inflated sense of entitlement that you consider that a 'seriously degraded standard of living'? That is pretty sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

LOL...yeah right. I've seen Indians putting in the hours too, but only because it seems to take them 12 hours to accomplish what I can accomplish in 8.

LOL this!

I have found that 90% of people who say they work less than others because they are 'more efficient' at it are just making excuses for their personal laziness.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,193,261 times
Quote:
So you have such an inflated sense of entitlement that you consider that a 'seriously degraded standard of living'? That is pretty sad.
Yeah, working upwards of 14 hours or more a day including commute, where the only "free" time you have is basically to sleep, and then do it again, is absolutely a degraded standard of living. Its not a standard of living anyone would accept given free choice, especially when they are being paid insulting wages, but the desperation they ooze from their pours is picked up like a bee to orange pop by greedy people like yourself.

You are such a slave driver that the psychological and physical damage done to a person maintaining such a rigorous schedule is just collateral damage in your opinion for the end means of squeezing another penny out.

No time to excercise or prepare proper meals? Who cares. Kids growing up without Dad? Who cares. Wife getting attention elsewhere? Not your problem. Depression, stress, increased risk of driving related injury, insane gas and transportation expenses? Not your problem right? Screw Robert Maslow!

Quote:
I have found that 90% of people who say they work less than others because they are 'more efficient' at it are just making excuses for their personal laziness.
Yet another person who believes hours spent doing something is equivalent to quality of production.

Then, explain this conundrum. Just yesterday, I was given a task that had only one conclusion, it was either done or not done. The previous day, two of my coworkers spent over an hour trying to figure it out and gave up......I had it solved in 5 minutes. Guess that means Im lazy right? Maybe I should have spent FIVE hours solving it, that would have proven how great of worker I am!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah, working upwards of 14 hours or more a day including commute, where the only "free" time you have is basically to sleep, and then do it again, is absolutely a degraded standard of living. Its not a standard of living anyone would accept given free choice, especially when they are being paid insulting wages, but the desperation they ooze from their pours is picked up like a bee to orange pop by greedy people like yourself.

You are such a slave driver that the psychological and physical damage done to a person maintaining such a rigorous schedule is just collateral damage in your opinion for the end means of squeezing another penny out.

No time to excercise or prepare proper meals? Who cares. Kids growing up without Dad? Who cares. Wife getting attention elsewhere? Not your problem. Depression, stress, increased risk of driving related injury, insane gas and transportation expenses? Not your problem right? Screw Robert Maslow!

Yet another person who believes hours spent doing something is equivalent to quality of production.

Then, explain this conundrum. Just yesterday, I was given a task that had only one conclusion, it was either done or not done. The previous day, two of my coworkers spent over an hour trying to figure it out and gave up......I had it solved in 5 minutes. Guess that means Im lazy right? Maybe I should have spent FIVE hours solving it, that would have proven how great of worker I am!
Hours worked do not equal quality of productivity, but a highly productive person working 8 hours/day gets more done than a highly productive person working 6 hours/day. You seem to think that everyone who works long hours is not as productive as you on a per-hour basis, which is nothing short of stupid.

You have such a huge sense of entitlement it is amazing. The concept of working hard to get somewhere doesn't seem to be something that you can identify with.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Hours worked do not equal quality of productivity, but a highly productive person working 8 hours/day gets more done than a highly productive person working 6 hours/day. You seem to think that everyone who works long hours is not as productive as you on a per-hour basis, which is nothing short of stupid.

You have such a huge sense of entitlement it is amazing. The concept of working hard to get somewhere doesn't seem to be something that you can identify with.

I think you should probably move to India now, or maybe Brazil, because in 20-30 years, when people like you have died out, the USA is going to resemble Europe.

Oh no, 18 mandatory government paid holidays a year, 30 mandatory vacation days! What is a self respecting slave driver to do?!?!?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I think you should probably move to India now, or maybe Brazil, because in 20-30 years, when people like you have died out, the USA is going to resemble Europe.

Oh no, 18 mandatory government paid holidays a year, 30 mandatory vacation days! What is a self respecting slave driver to do?!?!?
When you want to have a serious discussion about this topic and stop claiming that traveling for work is being a 'slave driver', let me know.

According to your logic, every consulting company or sales job where the employees travel extensively for work are 'slave drivers'. Wake up and face the real world, traveling 4-5 days per week for a job is unbelievably common.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
When you want to have a serious discussion about this topic and stop claiming that traveling for work is being a 'slave driver', let me know.

According to your logic, every consulting company or sales job where the employees travel extensively for work are 'slave drivers'. Wake up and face the real world, traveling 4-5 days per week for a job is unbelievably common.

Wow, now traveling sales jobs are the equivalent of site based jobs? Do you know what a logical fallacy is?

By the way, traveling salesmen, although away from home often, they do not travel 4 hours to work 8-10 hours, EVERY SINGLE DAY. That is not work ethic, that is desperation and fear that you are confusing for work ethic.

Even my Dad, an over the road truck driver, gone probably 300 days a year from home, is REQUIRED BY LAW to not drive more then 8 hour shifts followed by huge rest periods. Why do you think that is? Why is it that the government wont let him drive 14-18 hours every day?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Wow, now traveling sales jobs are the equivalent of site based jobs? Do you know what a logical fallacy is?

By the way, traveling salesmen, although away from home often, they do not travel 4 hours to work 8-10 hours, EVERY SINGLE DAY. That is not work ethic, that is desperation and fear that you are confusing for work ethic.

Even my Dad, an over the road truck driver, gone probably 300 days a year from home, is REQUIRED BY LAW to not drive more then 8 hour shifts followed by huge rest periods. Why do you think that is? Why is it that the government wont let him drive 14-18 hours every day?
Dude, work on actually reading before you rant at me. The guys I had would drive four hours to get on site on sunday and drive home on friday. They didn't drive four hours every day!

You are so eager to bash anyone who doesn't hate working that you can't even read a post correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search