U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 PM
 
Location: here
24,839 posts, read 30,134,786 times
Reputation: 32406

Advertisements

I applied for a job that did not list a salary range, only "DOQ". Is it ok to ask for the range during the interview, or would I need to wait until there is an offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 PM
 
19,078 posts, read 21,933,263 times
Reputation: 13432
Depending on the size of the company the people interviewing you may not know. For my current position I did not meet with HR until they wanted me to fill out forms for the background checks. This was after the interviews. My HR guy asked me for salary requirements and then got back to me with an offer. If this is a small business or establishment then your interviewers may know, but even then it doesn't seem appropriate to ask, which is lame imo. You could spend all that energy interviewing and then find out they offer crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM
 
134 posts, read 317,793 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I applied for a job that did not list a salary range, only "DOQ". Is it ok to ask for the range during the interview, or would I need to wait until there is an offer?
Wait. At the time of the interview you've basically got no stock into it, so there's not much to gain. Don't stop applying to jobs because you think you had a good interview, because then you do have stock into it.

Also, for ****s, I asked what the range was at an interview and basically got the question reflected and had to throw it back again, but I only did that because I knew I had an offer coming in from elsewhere, and unless this was something spectacular I was planning to go to the other place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM
 
Location: here
24,839 posts, read 30,134,786 times
Reputation: 32406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Depending on the size of the company the people interviewing you may not know. For my current position I did not meet with HR until they wanted me to fill out forms for the background checks. This was after the interviews. My HR guy asked me for salary requirements and then got back to me with an offer. If this is a small business or establishment then your interviewers may know, but even then it doesn't seem appropriate to ask, which is lame imo. You could spend all that energy interviewing and then find out they offer crap.
It is local govt. IME there has to be a set range. That's just how they do things, usually. I doubt I'll ask. I'm usually more reserved than that. It is annoying, though, knowing they most likely know the range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:41 PM
 
19,078 posts, read 21,933,263 times
Reputation: 13432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It is local govt. IME there has to be a set range. That's just how they do things, usually. I doubt I'll ask. I'm usually more reserved than that. It is annoying, though, knowing they most likely know the range.
If it's gov then they could go by levels. I've seen levels for fed gov jobs as well for hospitals. It will list something like level G2, whatever the hell that is lol, but it's indicative of a salary range. It should be easier to find out for local gov jobs. You could try sites like glassdoor.com where employees or former employees list their salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 PM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,712,743 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It is local govt. IME there has to be a set range. That's just how they do things, usually. I doubt I'll ask. I'm usually more reserved than that. It is annoying, though, knowing they most likely know the range.
Then they should have a grade level with a range listed. Check their website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 PM
 
756 posts, read 1,877,931 times
Reputation: 165
Grade levels and salary ranges can be quite wide, and watch out for the low number on the range. I've seen $45,000-$65,000 in one level. Obviously there is quite a difference ($20k).

Discuss prior to interview with the person coordinating the interview-sometimes an HR person.

If it is the same person (coordinating the interview and interviewing you), then it may feel awkward, but if you feel that you need to know if you're suitable number will work, then you should ask but again, prior to the interview. If you are out of a job, and desperate for one, you'll obviously be in a different position than if you had a job and was leaving one for this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
878 posts, read 1,373,877 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
If you are out of a job, and desperate for one, you'll obviously be in a different position than if you had a job and was leaving one for this one.
Yep... 14 months on unemployment had me accepting the first offer. No real negotiating power versus now when I've been on the job nearly a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 11:29 PM
 
4,072 posts, read 9,078,246 times
Reputation: 3290
Are you currently working? Do they know your current salary? Did you disclose the salary range you are looking for?


Depends a lot on the position and your current status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top