Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,896,475 times

Advertisements

Never had someone phrase it that way, annerk. I'd reply "Not important at all..so much so you won't be here any minute of any day.NEXT".

OP, I'd work on resolving the childcare hours issue, and only than take another crack at employment. What you experienced was a perfectly rational response to too little flexibility due to childcare. Often those home many years IMO fail to make a 100% commitment to returning to work, but return with so many qualifiers they make themsleves unmarketable. Don't be one of them, and you jump ahead of all of them in line for employment. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,832,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I understand why you agree with the premise of that post, but don't you think that's a bit condescending? That's what makes me so about the whole jobs thing, that everything's "problem" to the employer, and there's no room for human compassion whatsoever.

Guess the almighty dollar really is our God in this country. Well then, I'm going to be a devout atheist from now on, as that's one god I refuse to bow down to.

You and a few other posters on this board sure aren't going to be getting any positive karma points from me...lol.
It's not just about money, it's also about hiring an employee who has the foresight to plan ahead, an attribute which I would hope they would bring into the workplace with them. I don't want to hire someone who can't think about anything beyond the present.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 AM

By the way, the OP said she has been home 13 years, which would mean, last employment in 1999. I do understand why she may have been surprised at the 3:30 issue being a problem, as we had a hyper employee job market in 1999..about 4 percent unemployment. But the world has changed, and one must meet the expectations of 2012 to be hired in 2012. What may have met with a less strict approach in a hyper employee market will not meet the same response in an employers market. So while natural to think about conditions at ones last job, when the experience is 13 years old, forget about it. The same parameters do not apply.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,832,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

Yet another poster that worships the god of money - perhaps I should break out my American flag and hang it upside-down in front of my house for all the world to see, as we're clearly a nation in distress.

'Nuff said.
And if the employee doesn't come in to work on time and as a result the business is understaffed and offers poor service to the customers and as a result the customers stop coming and the business closes and EVERYONE loses their jobs? It's not just about the one employee, and it's not just about money. It's about running a business and keeping people working.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM

18 posts, read 21,015 times
'''May, go back to that guy and tell him you fixed your child care PROBLEM. That is exactly what it is, to him. And then get it done. Millions of single parents do it.'''

As soon as I got home, I fixed it and called him right away and told him. He just said 'ok, I will note it on your application' and heard no more from him. When I told him about the child care issue, he had not YET told me the hours of the job.

The reason I told him about the child care issue is because I was HONEST. SInce I have done this, people have told me you have to LIE to get a job. I guess I've been away a long time. You mean to tell me that employers will hire dishonest people before hiring honest ones? I just couldn't not say anything when I did have the problem.

'''Generally speaking retail and food service want people with full availability. I'm guessing that you have very limited hours you are available. If you aren't willing to work weekends, you aren't going to get hired for those types of jobs.'''

At first, I would put on applications that I could work any day, night, weekend, holiday EXCEPT for 2pm to 5pm. Surely there are jobs that you don't have to work during these hours? I have the situation fixed now and write that I can work any HOURS as well. Have been doing that for months.

'''I want to hear something along the lines of, "These hours work well for me as my child gets home at 3:30. I do have a neighbor/in-law/friend who will watch my child until I can get home if I need to stay late every now and then. My mother is retired and will stay with my child if they are sick." That reassures me that the candidate has actually thought about it and has a plan.'''

I called him back within 3 hours and told him I had this fixed. No word from him.

I do NOT expect special treatment! I did NOT want him to let me work hours that work for me. I forgot to mention this before, but he did NOT mention the working hours until AFTER I told him about having to leave right when the 3pm job was over. I just wanted him to know the times I COULDN"T work, and NOT the times he had to LET ME BE OFF. Sheesh.

''Indicating one cannot cover occassional 2nd shift needs is not indicative of being able to FULLY do the job.''

This is right. The interviewer didn't say anything about me covering another shift. He said just to cover until the next person gets there if they are late. I've never heard of employers hiring people according to this 'rule'. Why is he not expecting people to be at their job on time? That's his problem, not mine. He should hire people that will do this and not have ME to cover the sorry people he hired. I mean, they aren't suppose to get special treatment, right?

Now off to answer the comments on page 3.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM

428 posts, read 898,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisymay View Post
Hi I'm new here. I am glad to find this forum. I'm sorry that this is so long.
After 13 years at home (wife and mother) it's time for me to go back to work. Wow, it has been horrible. I have heard that employers don't like to hire people that have been out of work for a long time, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.
My past jobs have been production work in a 'mill'. These aren't around anymore. I have also had 10 yrs experience in 'quality auditor/inspector'.
As far as I know, there aren't any quality auditor jobs since all the mills have moved to China.
I have also had a few little part time jobs before these.
People say there's no jobs out there. Well, there are at least 84 of them. I look on 8 job listing sites every day. The jobs are there, but too many people applying for them I guess. Maybe this is the main problem in my situation?
I started in October looking for a job. I don't live near any huge cities, which I know is a part of the problem.
I have applied to every job I can find. I am keeping a list of all of them, calling them back to update, going to some of them in person, reapplying when necessary.
I just can't figure out what the problem is. I have applied to restaurants, grocery stores, hospitals, retail stores, drug stores, 4 temp agencies, gas stations, motels, retail merchandiser, schools, custodial, and I can't remember the rest right off hand.
I have just found a quality inspection job (which really surprises me) in a city where I want to work. I do have most of the qualifications and experience that this job lists, but not all. But, this company is something about cars, welding, etc (doesn't list the specifics of this job) and my experience has been with manufacturing computer chips (ceramic chip capacitors) and towels.
I am wondering if this will matter? I wonder if they will see that since I know most of the job, they would be willing to train me for the rest? Or if it would matter that I haven't worked in this type of job before?
Another thing, should I list every job I've had on a resume, or only the jobs that apply to this job? If you don't list every job, won't this look bad, they will think I haven't worked much?
Sorry this is so long and thanks for any help you can give!!

First I admire you for not giving up after all that and keeping a positive attitude. Second it is going to be harder since youve been out of the work force so long and you have kiddie schedules to deal with. With that said I would stay from job that require open availability such as the grocery stores and retail stores. I would give up the retail merchandiser thing since thats usually part time anyways. I would just concentrate on jobs for the hours that u can work and the days you can work so you dont spend countless hours applying for jobs that wont happen. I would also look into volunteering and possible retraining programs in your area. Since so many mill jobs left the area there might be some programs available either thru state agencies or the community college. Hang in there

Old 04-10-2012, 09:40 AM

I know it seems that I 'all of a sudden fixed the problem' and didn't think of it beforehand. I didn't fix it beforehand because he didn't tell me the hours of the job before I told him I couldn't stay past the shift time. He said it probably wouldn't happen much at all that I would have to stay 'a few minutes late' but could't take the chance. What do they do if someone is not there for their whole shift?
Anyway, like I said, I called him within 3 hours and told him I fixed this. Nothing. And with every application ever since I have not mentioned the childcare problem at all, because now it's not a problem.

'''And if the employee doesn't come in to work on time and as a result the business is understaffed and offers poor service to the customers and as a result the customers stop coming and the business closes and EVERYONE loses their jobs?'''

The employer wasn't talking about ME being late, he was talking about the person coming in after ME being late (who is already an employee). Why is it OK for THEM to be late and NOT for ME to leave my job ON TIME?!? I thought there was to be no SPECIAL TREATMENT?!?!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM

Tara0815, most part time job shifts here stop and start around the hours that I couldn't work (2 to 5pm). So I really can't figure out which jobs there are that let you work any hours except for 2-5pm. But now I've fixed the childcare problem (as of 2 months ago) and still nothing.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 AM

Can someone answer this question I wrote in my original message?? --

I have just found a quality inspection job (which really surprises me) in a city where I want to work. I do have most of the qualifications and experience that this job lists, but not all. But, this company manufactures cars, the job posting mentions welding, etc (doesn't list the specifics of this job) and my quality auditor experience has been with manufacturing computer chips (ceramic chip capacitors) and towels.
I am wondering if this will matter? I wonder if they will see that since I know most of the job, they would be willing to train me for the rest? Or if it would matter that I haven't worked in this type of company before even though I have done the job they are hiring for?
Another thing, should I list every job I've had on a resume, or only the jobs that apply to this job? If you don't list every job, won't this look bad and they will think I haven't worked much?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Congrats on fixing the 2-5 issue; since that falls smack dab in the middle of most workdays, that would have been a dealbreaker again and again. Glad you called him back; I have no doubt being away 13 years you simply did not know you would have to have the 2-5 issue resolved beforehand, but in 2012, you do.

Each time someone interviews, beforehand, they should review all of the potential major questions, and their answers. Run them by friends, family, and if possible, businessmen and women you know, and accept their opinions of them, and their concerns. That gives you time to resolve any issues ahead of the interview, because while its good you called him back, it would make him wonder if there may be other potential childcare issues.

What about winter and snow days? Have you made accomodations? School vacations? Teacher conference days? Days the child is sick? The business is not going to close to accomodate these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search