Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Yes, things have changed for the worse - very much so. That's why I say things like "I weep for this country", as I mean it. Back in 1999, I was loving life and so was everyone else - anyone that wanted to work, could, and if somebody had a nasty boss or had a crappy job, they could just go get another job, no sweat. Not anymore

If I had but one wish, but I could wish for *anything* in the world, I'd ask that the world reset itself to 1999 and just repeat that year over and over, forever and forever. That year was probably as close to Utopia as we'll ever get a human species, and now we're going back in the other direction, with a perpetually declining standard of living in this formerly great nation of ours. And this sucks to beat the band, and I'll say it again, for the 10,000th time - I weep for this country.
You have an unrealistic view of the employment situation today. You could wish for the past but it isn't coming back. "Weeping for the country" and not doing anything to position yourself better to get a job isn't going to do you any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Good thing you'll never have me as an employee - I'm far too self-important to "stay late" just because it suits the boss to do so. And I'll never, ever be a team player - unless I get to share equally in the profits of whatever enterprise I'm working for.

Being a boss is all about being in control of others, and that's the thing I fear the most, as I can't stand being under someone else's control - just ask my parents what I was like as a kid...lol.
I am appalled that you actually make it your life goal to never be a team player. I certainly hope you own your business for not being able to stand being under someone's control. If you are employed, you won't be for much longer with a non-team player attitude. If you're not, you'd be lucky to find one. The world is a global economy...someone or some thing always controls another...it's a symbiotic relationship. If you haven't realized that by now, you haven't woken up from a dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
"Weeping for the country" and not doing anything to position yourself better to get a job isn't going to do you any good.

... I certainly hope you own your business for not being able to stand being under someone's control. If you are employed, you won't be for much longer with a non-team player attitude. If you're not, you'd be lucky to find one.
The perpetual irony is that he's beating his chest black and blue and becoming hoarse from the rhetoric - from the most comfortable position imaginable. By his own admission, his partner supports him and he has no need to work to support himself. If he had to fend for himself I've no doubt the whole tone would change rather quickly or else he'd be on the street living over a grate in a box and annoying passers-by with Marxist slogans.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
STT Resident "he'd be on the street living over a grate in a box and annoying passers-by with Marxist slogans"

Like OWS (LOL)

Now, we must give the poster some credit. Folks like this are doing a public service-really, by reducing the realistic supply of labor , since they are NOT part of it, the odds improve for everyone else. Since there are 4-5 for every available position, their services are not missed anyway, rendering their "weeping" fruitless.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:26 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The perpetual irony is that he's beating his chest black and blue and becoming hoarse from the rhetoric - from the most comfortable position imaginable. By his own admission, his partner supports him and he has no need to work to support himself. If he had to fend for himself I've no doubt the whole tone would change rather quickly or else he'd be on the street living over a grate in a box and annoying passers-by with Marxist slogans.
We certainly get ALL kinds in this forum, don't we?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:23 PM

18 posts, read 21,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
We certainly get ALL kinds in this forum, don't we?

I have been here only 2 days and that sure is the truth!!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
By the way, sisymay, congrats on one more thing. With all the posters here, you are truly very open to suggestions, and that is excellent, and will help you as an employee in the years to come. 13 years in this era has brought about sea changes in employment, partly due to the fact employers are runnng leaner operations than ever before. When I first started professional work, 1/2 or more of the departments with secretaries/admin staff did not need one. They gave them to bosses to build their ego. That era is gone, and all employees are relied upon, and that is part of the reason even not being available sporadically is viewed as a major problem today and not a few decades above. The surplus staff is gone.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM

18 posts, read 21,097 times
Thanks so much! I guess people are reading what I am writing the wrong way. I am not wanting this to be 'all about me' I am not wanting a boss to cater to my hours, etc.
I can see that being an honest, good worker, etc is not what employers want. I have been told to lie many times. In every profession I have seen thru the years, ALL of them are getting worse and worse. I really dread this

Old 04-10-2012, 03:50 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisymay View Post
Thanks so much! I guess people are reading what I am writing the wrong way. I am not wanting this to be 'all about me' I am not wanting a boss to cater to my hours, etc.
I can see that being an honest, good worker, etc is not what employers want. I have been told to lie many times. In every profession I have seen thru the years, ALL of them are getting worse and worse. I really dread this
Not true. Don't listen to all the negatives which get thrown around here. The bizarre stuff I read on this forum bears no relationship whatsoever to the professionals I'm around every day of every week whether they be employers or employees. There are several posters who can't absorb a full paragraph and will pull a sentence out of context to argue a point that wasn't even made. Stay true to yourself always - it sounds corny maybe but it's true. The right spot will come along and you won't have to lie to fit into it.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:56 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,303 times
Quote:
I just can't figure out what the problem is.
The problem is the economy!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:57 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:

And that's a real shame, as you shouldn't have to be dishonest just to get a job, but sure seems the case these days.

The crux of the matter is that there are too many people chasing too few jobs, and yes, by keeping myself out of the workforce, I really do hope I'm doing someone else a favor. That's why I like the idea of people staying home with their kids if their finances allow it. If you don't need a job, it's best not to take a job from someone that does need it. Of course, people will call you lazy and other not-so-kind terms - so you can't win, really. But I don't really care what people think of me, I've got my bases covered, so there...lol.

What I don't get is why certain people accept this environment as the "new normal", that we should never expect to see 1999 again, that's "unrealistic" and so on and so forth. I just don't get that.

At least this isn't Spain, where unemployment is 23% and still rising - I'd love to see what will happen when it reaches the critical 50% mark...maybe they'll vote in a government that will look out for their interests rather than the money men in Brussels who keep screaming for more and more austerity measures.

I just hope the whole system collapses soon just so we all have the opportunity to start over again, as the direction we're going in now sure isn't helping anybody but the elite, both here and elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search