Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Another post got me to thinking about how people answer questions during interviews and what employers think of those answers.

Quite some time ago I worked at a company for about six years, being promoted once and then hitting the ceiling, there was no place to go. I made decent money and liked my job. I was treated generally well.

For no particular reason I decided to make a lateral move to a competitor, same job, same salary, longer commute but that was leveled with a commuter allowance that I didn't get from the former employer, so effectively the same pay. There was no room for promotion in this job either, so I couldn't use that as a reason for the move.

I left there after less than a year because I was burned out and began to look for a new job in a different industry. During interviews I was asked "Why did you leave Company A for a lateral job at Company B?" I never really did have a good, solid answer, I would tell them the truth, that if was just time to move on for no particular reason.

What types of answers have people given you in this scenario and how have you responded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 06:34 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
I'm not a hiring manager, but I wouldn't hold that against someone. I think you were burned out in the industry with the first company, but didn't realize it and thought a change of scenery would make things better.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I'm not a hiring manager, but I wouldn't hold that against someone. I think you were burned out in the industry with the first company, but didn't realize it and thought a change of scenery would make things better.
I agree, and realize that now. I wonder how many other people do the same thing though, and have a similar answer.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
That's a question where we would rely on experience in reading body language and reaction to the question for clues. In most cases I have seen that happen it's been due to a failure to get along with others at the first job, and is considered a negative. Remember that the hiring manager is looking for someone that's going to stay, we are not anxious to have to go through the whole process frequently.

Someone who leaves a job for one that has more responsibility and money is understandable. To leave for a lateral position is also understandable if it's for a shorter commute, relocation, or better promotional opportunities.

With your answer I would definitely hesitate to hire you.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 AM

I see your point.

Right after I arrived there was a major power struggle between my department head and the department head of another department who felt that our department should fall under his. This went on for three or four months and basically incapacitated us from being able to grow our division and that growth opportunity was one of the reasons I had made the lateral move.

It was hard to explain the unforeseen lack of growth opportunity after the move without sounding like I was being negative about the employer, which I don't think is ever a good thing to do in an interview. The other problem was that I had been offered an office about 35 minutes from my house (doable) and six months later was still commuting an hour each way with no expected date for having my office build out completed. But again I didn't want to use that as it put a bad light on the employer.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:35 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
People need to prepare for the worst during interviews, and learn how to BS through them if need be.

Honesty is only the best policy if it works for you.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
If I was in your position, I would probably used company culture as a reason for the move in a lateral situation. I moved laterally in the same company and my primary reason was the exposure, visibiity and higher potential for networking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search