U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 PM

34 posts, read 97,111 times

Advertisements

Here are some of the questions i've encountered when applying for entry-level jobs, customer-service jobs, retail, fast-food, etc., and I have a very hard time making stuff up as well, i'm willing to do that, make stuff up, just to tell the interviewer what they want to hear to increase my chances of getting hired, and i don't have much job experience in retail, fast-food, customer-service.

Here are the questions:

"Give me a time when you were a leader of a group and how did you manage to lead the group?"

"Name a specific time where you accomplished something without being told?"

"What are your strengths and weaknesses?"

"How would you handle an impatient, mad, or irate, difficult customers?"

"When was a time, situation in which you had to pay very extreme close attention to detail?"

"When was a time you had to bend or stretch the rules at work?"

"Give me a time when you had difficulty reaching a certain goal and how did you reach it?"

"What if a customer came in and ask for and item you don't have what would you do?"

"Tell me about a time you made a mistake, how did you fix it and what did you learn from it?"

"Describe a time where you started a project that ended up being harder than you had expected and how you finished it?"

"What is your approach to solving a difficult problem"?

"Describe a time when you worked with a team of people to accomplish a goal. What was the situation, what did you do and what was the outcome?"

"Describe a time you worked with a partner or group to acheive a goal?"

"Tell us about a time you went went above and beyond doing your job."

"Describe a time you had to meet someone else's needs"

"Tell me about a time you had to finsih a task and it didn't go as planned. What did you do to solve the problem?"

"Tell me about a time you had to complete a project that was outside of your skill set, what did you do?"

"what do you wish to accomplish by working here?"

"Describe a time when you had to take charge of a situation?"

"What will you do if you found a water spill on the floor while some other guests ( customers) are asking for some help?"

"Why should I hire you?"

I know some of these questions are common sense, but when i've answered them, i still did not get the job, did not get hired, and i'm talking about customer-service jobs, retail jobs, fast-food jobs, minimum-wage paying jobs, entry-level jobs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Someone who went to a university could answer many of those questions based in their experiences with university research and other activities. Even with all the extracurricular activities in high school (sports, scouts, debate club, etc) you can answer many of those questions.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:08 PM

17,150 posts, read 21,114,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Someone who went to a university could answer many of those questions based in their experiences with university research and other activities. Even with all the extracurricular activities in high school (sports, scouts, debate club, etc) you can answer many of those questions.
I agree, for example in regards to the first question you can use something like HS sports or boy/girl scouts to answer that one and a few others.

Give an example where you took the lead in a situation.

But YOU need to come up with the answers. Sit down and do some brainstorming.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree, for example in regards to the first question you can use something like HS sports or boy/girl scouts to answer that one and a few others.

Give an example where you took the lead in a situation.

But YOU need to come up with the answers. Sit down and do some brainstorming.
so those answers don't have to be situations that occured on the job itself? they can be answers from outside the work place?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,787,202 times
I have tons of experience in retail hiring and recruiting (just seem to keep working for companies that go out of business in this economy, but that is a whole other story). The questions you are being asked are looking for a specific type of answer. I will give you some hints as to what they are actually looking for (believe it or not there are training courses that tell interviewers the kinds of answers they want for questions). Not answering the questions for you, just giving you guidance. I do this for my recruits too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedRedandGold714 View Post
Here are some of the questions i've encountered when applying for entry-level jobs, customer-service jobs, retail, fast-food, etc., and I have a very hard time making stuff up as well, i'm willing to do that, make stuff up, just to tell the interviewer what they want to hear to increase my chances of getting hired, and i don't have much job experience in retail, fast-food, customer-service.

Here are the questions:

"Give me a time when you were a leader of a group and how did you manage to lead the group?"

This one is trying to determine how well you function in a group? Do you give orders or allow opinions of others to matter in decisions? This does not have to be work related, just make sure it is from your own personal experience. Answers should be "When I was" NOT "I think I might in this situation"

This is asking how well you handle your own work time when there is no specific goal. A lot of retail especially is busy work in between customers. Will you stand around or will you keep yourself occupied?

People yell, and throw things at you, when you work in retail. I have been yelled at, cussed out, had my job threatened and had things thrown at me, yet was never fired or even written up for a customer complaint. LOL (There are reasons I left that field) The reason being is I was able to handle the situation in such a way that even if it does escalate (and some do) there was no way that I could be found at fault. How would you manage to handle this customer? Customer service, calming the customer, and also protecting company integrity are all important. Often customers yell and throw things to get you to give them a discount...should you?

"Give me a time when you had difficulty reaching a certain goal and how did you reach it?"

This question tests how you handle adversity. Do you stop trying or do you find a way? These are all what are called "behavioral" questions and answers that are good will discuss what you have PERSONALLY done (not what you think should be done) in a situation. Again, doesn;t have to be work related.

Retail is about customer service. Going above and beyond shows a willingness to continue to do so for the customers of the new company. Again, a PERSONAL story.

"What will you do if you found a water spill on the floor while some other guests ( customers) are asking for some help?"

There are a whole bunch of questions just like this one. This is a tricky one if you do not know what they are looking for. I will be helpful here. You are expected to assist the customer and clean up the spill. Without compromising customer service or safety. Really. The answer they are looking for is that you would first address the customer while maintaining control of the spill, usually by staying near it or cleaning it up yourself, if you have something on you to do so. But the right answer will always mention the customer's needs for safety and customer service.

I know some of these questions are common sense, but when i've answered them, i still did not get the job, did not get hired, and i'm talking about customer-service jobs, retail jobs, fast-food jobs, minimum-wage paying jobs, entry-level jobs, etc.
I hope my answer were able to lead you in the right direction!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I have tons of experience in retail hiring and recruiting (just seem to keep working for companies that go out of business in this economy, but that is a whole other story). The questions you are being asked are looking for a specific type of answer. I will give you some hints as to what they are actually looking for (believe it or not there are training courses that tell interviewers the kinds of answers they want for questions). Not answering the questions for you, just giving you guidance. I do this for my recruits too.

I hope my answer were able to lead you in the right direction!
Thank you!, although, would I be asking too much if someone can give me specific answers for these questions? examples? I'm really willing to make things up in the interview just to get the job

Old 05-14-2012, 03:53 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,787,202 times
There are not specific answers nor are there ones I am able to give you that will get you the job. They need to be true and based in your personal experience or the interviewer will be able to tell. If I ask you a question and you answer in the way I think you should, I am going to ask follow up questions to probe into your answer. If you lied at the beginning, I am going to find out because there will be a part of your answer that no longer makes sense.

But I will help you with the answers you are giving. How would you answer the following?

1. Tell me about a time where you were the leader of a group. What was the project/assignment?

2. Have you ever worked with a manager, coach, teacher that you did not like? What did you do and how did you handle it?

3. It is a Saturday night and you are scheduled to be off at 6, but the store is busy, other employees have called out and I ask you to stay until 8. How do you respond? Also, have you ever been asked to stay late and how did you handle it?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,392,278 times
Question hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedRedandGold714 View Post

Here are the questions:

"What are your strengths and weaknesses?"

"When was a time, situation in which you had to pay very extreme close attention to detail?"

"When was a time you had to bend or stretch the rules at work?"

"What if a customer came in and ask for and item you don't have what would you do?"

"Tell me about a time you made a mistake, how did you fix it and what did you learn from it?"

"Describe a time where you started a project that ended up being harder than you had expected and how you finished it?"

"What is your approach to solving a difficult problem"?

"Describe a time when you worked with a team of people to accomplish a goal. What was the situation, what did you do and what was the outcome?"

"Describe a time you worked with a partner or group to acheive a goal?"

"Describe a time you had to meet someone else's needs"

"Tell me about a time you had to finsih a task and it didn't go as planned. What did you do to solve the problem?"

"Tell me about a time you had to complete a project that was outside of your skill set, what did you do?"

"what do you wish to accomplish by working here?"

"Describe a time when you had to take charge of a situation?"

"Why should I hire you?"

can't you answer these question? You know...the questions only get harder, what will you do then?

Old 05-15-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
can't you answer these question? You know...the questions only get harder, what will you do then?
no because i never dealt with those situations on a job before

Old 05-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
There are not specific answers nor are there ones I am able to give you that will get you the job. They need to be true and based in your personal experience or the interviewer will be able to tell. If I ask you a question and you answer in the way I think you should, I am going to ask follow up questions to probe into your answer. If you lied at the beginning, I am going to find out because there will be a part of your answer that no longer makes sense.

But I will help you with the answers you are giving. How would you answer the following?

1. Tell me about a time where you were the leader of a group. What was the project/assignment?

2. Have you ever worked with a manager, coach, teacher that you did not like? What did you do and how did you handle it?

3. It is a Saturday night and you are scheduled to be off at 6, but the store is busy, other employees have called out and I ask you to stay until 8. How do you respond? Also, have you ever been asked to stay late and how did you handle it?
as for leader of a group, can i include working on a history project in high school in which i took the lead? is that a good enough answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or