Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 AM

92 posts, read 166,508 times

Advertisements

I have been unemployed for 9 months. Since then I have applied to every position/lead that I can get my hands on. I make calls, network with friends and family, go "door-to-door" delivering my resume..etc. I have
had quite a few interviews but nothing works out. I'm beginning to take it personally and becoming dejected. I know there are many more people out there with the same problem. Advice? How are you coping? Other strategies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM

241 posts, read 1,019,917 times
Employers can afford to be very picky since there's millions out there looking for work. Making it even harder to land something, cuz there's not much hiring in the first place.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM

130 posts, read 253,353 times
Personally, I believe I had some more luck, actually going out to "parties" and really networking. It keeps your morale high, and does help with your job search. In some aspects it can really led you to the right place.
Plus, changing up locations for your job search. Have you tried bringing your own personal laptop to your local library, and search for jobs there? It might just be a different environment that will keep your spirits up.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:00 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Employers can afford to be very picky since there's millions out there looking for work. Making it even harder to land something, cuz there's not much hiring in the first place.
Yep... and if you are set on $20 an hour and the employer offers $17, you might better take it before they talk to the other guy who will take the job for $14.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmke View Post
I have been unemployed for 9 months. Since then I have applied to every position/lead that I can get my hands on. I make calls, network with friends and family, go "door-to-door" delivering my resume..etc. I have
had quite a few interviews but nothing works out. I'm beginning to take it personally and becoming dejected. I know there are many more people out there with the same problem. Advice? How are you coping? Other strategies?
Part of the problem I;m facing is there is not a lot of jobs for me to apply to but May has been a lot better. April I applied to zero jobs because I saw none that I felt was a good fit.

The way I cope is apply to jobs that I don't want based on location and if I get a call for a interview it lets me know I;m still wanted. I do that about 2 or 3 times a week so I can feel good about something until I apply to that real job I feel I;m a good fit for

Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Part of the problem I;m facing is there is not a lot of jobs for me to apply to but May has been a lot better. April I applied to zero jobs because I saw none that I felt was a good fit.
And, does PA still pay you? Don't you have to certify when you claim that you have searched for work?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
And, does PA still pay you? Don't you have to certify when you claim that you have searched for work?
April I was still on my original 26 weeks of UC. My EUC didn't start until May. And if there is nothing to apply to what can I do? I don't control what's available and what is not available.

May has been a lot better and I have applied to about 7 or 8 jobs. The form stated that I keep a record of my work searches so I can have it ready when they request it.

I also got a letter about a meeting I will be scheduled to attend now that I;m on EUC but have to wait for the date. The meeting is called a REA meeting which is reeemployment and eligibility assessment. I have to fill out a questionnare before I go

Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 PM
FBJ

BTW

I applied for a state job last week and my test is scheduled for this thursday

Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
That was my point. I guess PA doesn't care if their residents actually look for work (only state with no requirement?) but I believe those behind EUC do... and might have something to say about not applying for a job for a month because none of them are "real."

Ahhh... upon further review I see he was still on state benefits in April. That explains it.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:57 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
Technically, determining that there no jobs worthy of applying for is still a search for work. AZ's appellate court summed it well when it found that, "just because there are no jobs available for a claimant does not mean that a claimant should be found unavailable for work." They then went on to restore the claimants benefits. It involved a case where the unemployment office was denying benefits and pressuring claimants to start looking for work in areas over 100 miles from their homes. This particular claimant taking the case to the court did AZ claimants a world of good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search