Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:47 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times

Advertisements

What's everyone's take on calling out of work when you are in a temporary position? Is it a good idea?

What if an interview for a permanent job comes up? Wouldn't it be okay to go on that interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Not sure what's meant by "calling out of work" but although it's been many years since I temped I never thought any differently about basic rules and regulations or job etiquette whether I was a temp or a permanent employee. If you're sick that's one thing but if you need some time off to attend to personal business then you talk to your supervisor and work it out.

Where a job interview is concerned, most employers understand that some applicants will be employed and will make accommodations such as a lunchtime interview or in many cases an after hours appointment if the situation is "tricky". If as a temp you have a good relationship with your supervisor then you could feel free to be honest and ask for time off to go for an interview and maybe make the time up or reach some other compromise. It's not a "one size fits all" scenario.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
I would only use them if I was desperate. Staffing agencies just bug your references.

The very first thing they do when you enter the office is have you fill out an application, and they DEMAND a list of references with contact information before they even speak to you.

Your references WILL be called and will have to listen to a sales pitch regardless of whether the staffing agency is interested in you.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
What's everyone's take on calling out of work when you are in a temporary position? Is it a good idea?

What if an interview for a permanent job comes up? Wouldn't it be okay to go on that interview?
I'm glad you asked this because that is the situation I am in right now. I have an interview for a perm position and need to take a day off from my temp job. Plus, I'm worried that if there are multiple interviews I'll have to miss multiple days.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
I'm glad you asked this because that is the situation I am in right now. I have an interview for a perm position and need to take a day off from my temp job. Plus, I'm worried that if there are multiple interviews I'll have to miss multiple days.
That's why I never took a temp position back in february because of this issue. If I started working and then had a interview for a job that would affect my temp job. And then I would end up losing the temp job and may not get the job I;m interviewing for. I don't think someone should interview at all for a perm job if it's doing the 1st 90 days because if you don't get the job you may also risk losing your temp assignment and end up with nothing. I think you have to treat a temp job the same way you would a regular perm job and not think about a interview during the first 90 days. JMO

Old 06-01-2012, 07:06 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Please don't go on multiple interviews if you are within 90 days of your temp job.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's why I never took a temp position back in February because of this issue. If I started working and then had a interview for a job that would affect my temp job. And then I would end up losing the temp job and may not get the job I'm interviewing for.

How many interviews have you been to that would have required you to "call off"?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
That's why I never took a temp position back in february because of this issue. If I started working and then had a interview for a job that would affect my temp job. And then I would end up losing the temp job and may not get the job I;m interviewing for. I don't think someone should interview at all for a perm job if it's doing the 1st 90 days because if you don't get the job you may also risk losing your temp assignment and end up with nothing. I think you have to treat a temp job the same way you would a regular perm job and not think about a interview during the first 90 days. JMO
Quote:
Please don't go on multiple interviews if you are within 90 days of your temp job.

The above 2 quotes are exactly what worries me. My interview is next week and since it's for a job I really would like to have I'm going to go and hope for the best. I submitted my resume for this job back in February and am just now getting a call back. Plus, I am starting to get calls for other jobs as well.

I have decided I wouldn't be too upset if my temp assignment ends. I'm going to try and sign up with another agency soon.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 PM
FBJ

Quote:
The above 2 quotes are exactly what worries me. My interview is next week and since it's for a job I really would like to have I'm going to go and hope for the best. I submitted my resume for this job back in February and am just now getting a call back. Plus, I am starting to get calls for other jobs as well.

I have decided I wouldn't be too upset if my temp assignment ends. I'm going to try and sign up with another agency soon.
See the point I;m making is if you were already at a permanent job you wouldn't be going on a interview within the 1st 90 days because it wouldn't look good to be out more than one day. And in today's economy it's always more than one interview so chances are if they like you u will be having to take off again and risk losing your temp assignment.

Now I don't suggest you do this because I was out of my mind in 2009 but I decided to push all the chips to the middle of the table and take a risk. I was scheduled to start a temp job on a monday and never showed up because I had a interview on that wednesday for a job 5 mins away from my apartment and more money. So I decided to never go to the temp assignment and take my chances with the interview and ended up getting it. So if you want to take the risk and feel that the job is worth then do it but just keep in mind you may lose your temp job. Remember I never started the temp job which didn't look as bad.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
See the point I;m making is if you were already at a permanent job you wouldn't be going on a interview within the 1st 90 days because it wouldn't look good to be out more than one day. And in today's economy it's always more than one interview so chances are if they like you u will be having to take off again and risk losing your temp assignment.

Now I don't suggest you do this because I was out of my mind in 2009 but I decided to push all the chips to the middle of the table and take a risk. I was scheduled to start a temp job on a monday and never showed up because I had a interview on that wednesday for a job 5 mins away from my apartment and more money. So I decided to never go to the temp assignment and take my chances with the interview and ended up getting it. So if you want to take the risk and feel that the job is worth then do it but just keep in mind you may lose your temp job. Remember I never started the temp job which didn't look as bad.
Well, like I said previously, I won't be upset if I lose the temp job. I have already let my agency know I will be taking the day off. So what's done is done.

You're right I wouldn't take a day off during the first 90 days on a perm job but on a perm job I would have more stability and benefits which I don't have right now. It is what it is. Luckily, there are a few other job possibilities I have right now as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search