Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Well, I stand by what I said - if I got all the way to an on-site interview, they owe me an explaination as to why I didn't get it. Geez... typically, that means they might have to send a half-dozen emails - the horror!

Yes, I understand I'm not getting the job if they say nothing, but I'd like to know why. Did they hire somebody else? Has the job been cancelled? Are they waiting for a contract? This ties into the nonsense about all the fake jobs that are being posted that days. If a company is just window-shopping and has no intent to hire, take down the fake job postings and don't waste my time egging me on and getting my hopes up that I might get a job. That's unprofessional and cruel.
The reason why would be they chose another candidate for most employers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Well, I stand by what I said - if I got all the way to an on-site interview, they owe me an explaination as to why I didn't get it. Geez... typically, that means they might have to send a half-dozen emails - the horror!

Yes, I understand I'm not getting the job if they say nothing, but I'd like to know why. Did they hire somebody else? Has the job been cancelled? Are they waiting for a contract? This ties into the nonsense about all the fake jobs that are being posted that days. If a company is just window-shopping and has no intent to hire, take down the fake job postings and don't waste my time egging me on and getting my hopes up that I might get a job. That's unprofessional and cruel.
What difference does it make why you didn't get the job, unless you feel you did something really inappropriate to kebosh yourself out of the position. Do you want them to call you and say "You are obviously qualified, or we wouldn't have bothered to interview you in the first place. However, you smell SO horrible we couldn't even fathom subjecting your personal stench upon our other employees, so we went with someone else."

Or how about:

We went with someone who brushed his hair.

What about:

We chose someone who had better fashion sense.

What about:

Our interviewer used to have sex with your second cousin, whose maid told the football coach, who gossipped to the quarterback, who told the interviewer, that if the second cousin ever heard that the interviewer hired any of his family, he'd spit in their food next time they ordered at his restaurant.

Maybe:

Because we just plain didn't feel like hiring you that day.

I mean, even when you get a rejection letter, they don't tell you WHY they didn't hire you. They simply say they picked someone else. Which - you already knew, because if they hadn't picked someone else, you would've gotten the job.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
What difference does it make why you didn't get the job, unless you feel you did something really inappropriate to kebosh yourself out of the position. Do you want them to call you and say "You are obviously qualified, or we wouldn't have bothered to interview you in the first place. However, you smell SO horrible we couldn't even fathom subjecting your personal stench upon our other employees, so we went with someone else."

Or how about:

We went with someone who brushed his hair.

What about:

We chose someone who had better fashion sense.

What about:

Our interviewer used to have sex with your second cousin, whose maid told the football coach, who gossipped to the quarterback, who told the interviewer, that if the second cousin ever heard that the interviewer hired any of his family, he'd spit in their food next time they ordered at his restaurant.

Maybe:

Because we just plain didn't feel like hiring you that day.

I mean, even when you get a rejection letter, they don't tell you WHY they didn't hire you. They simply say they picked someone else. Which - you already knew, because if they hadn't picked someone else, you would've gotten the job.

Exactly in the letter it's a "creative rejection" vibe to make you feel good but it never works lol I want no parts of a letter but I know some will still send it

Old 06-03-2012, 06:24 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times
Well, I think HR needs to go back to filing papers and leave the hiring up to managers who understand how the department works.

What they should NOT do is say we will love you, or any thing else that leads the candidate on.

It's wrong, it's cruel, and it's bad karma.

Just say thank you and say we will let you know.

I won't cry when they outsource and get rid of HR.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
I *know* I didn't get the job if they never get back to me (though that still doesn't excuse their behavior), but what is really important is WHY I didn't get it.

If the job was cancelled, than I know that they probably aren't hiring.

If the job was postponed until they hopefully win a contract, I know I might have a shot at it later if they do win the contract.

If the job went to somebody else, fine - I'll just look for other positions.

My point is that the response affects one's job search strategy, and this is particularly true in a climate where tons of fake jobs and "window-shopping" employers are dominating the job market. It gets frustrating sorting all the chaff out... and based on my experiences, most companies are chosing to hire nobody vs. hiring somebody else. That just makes it more annoying - was I not good enough? Is it the economy? Who knows? And the job just sits on the website, month after month... Ugh!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
It's not a sign of the times. As I said, this has been my experience for the past 30-plus years in the workforce, as an employee. As a seasonal employee, a full-time corporate panty-hose-wearing desk-jockey, a bartender, waitress, customer service rep, retail sales clerk, cashier, fast-food employee, radio station engineer, musician, and mystery shopper.

Employers -typically- do not contact people to tell them they don't have the job. It is a rare occurrence when they do. They have not, for at least the last 30 years, as a rule. The exception is when they -do- contact, which makes it an exception, not the rule. It's not rude, it's just business.

It is not a sign of the times, it is standard business practice, standard being determined by at -least- the last three -decades- of doing business a certain way.

In the last 30 years, I have probably interviewed for well over 200 jobs in total. Out of those 200+ jobs, I'd have to estimate that I've received a "thanks for interviewing but we picked someone else" notice, or phone call, less than 20 times.

The rest either hired me, or I never heard another word from them, or I got a verbal answer from them after *I* called *them* to find out what their answer was. I don't expect nor have I expected anything more than that, nor should anyone. Yes, it's nice when they do. And you'd think it isn't such a big deal for them to do it. But they don't. And they don't -owe- you a communication. You went to them for a job. They called you for an interview. You went. I'm assuming you asked them during the interview process how long it'd be before they made a decision. If you didn't hear back by that magic time they mentioned, when you asked them (you DID ask them, didn't you?), then that's your answer. No job for you. Move on.
I think we're talking about two very different level of experiences when it comes to job protocol.

From the various positions you have held, you're discussing a much lower level of jobs. I have had 5 jobs since graduating college 30 yrs ago, including two well known universities and a Fortune 500 company.

Sounds like you have had about 28 jobs in the last 30yrs. No, if you go apply to be a waitress, a bartender, or a retail clerk, chances are they aren't going to call you if you don't get the job.

However if you interview for a position at NYU that requires a panel interview, they get back to you.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:32 PM

And when they tell you "you weren't good enough," then that answer won't be good enough. You'll want to know what about you, wasn't good enough. Why couldn't they tell you what you did wrong, specifically!!!!

And when they say the contract was postponed so they can't offer you a job afterall, at this time, you'll want to know why didn't they tell you the job might be postponed, before you got all gussied up and spent half the day going to and from the interview!!!!!

And when they say they cancelled the job, you'll think "oh right, they never had one, they're just collecting interviews."

Some people just can't be satisfied, no matter what answer they give. So really, you're just not worth responding to, if you aren't the one they're offering the job. You're not worth the -potential- headache. If you care enough to call and ask, they'll take a moment to tell you. But if you can't be bothered to ask about a job you supposedly want badly enough to interview for, then they shouldn't be bothered telling you that you didn't get the job. Or why.

They don't OWE you an explanation. You're not *entitled* to politeness. It's not a constitutional right, it's not even a zoning law.

You're entitled to wonder why you didn't get a job. They're entitled to allow you to wonder.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think we're talking about two very different level of experiences when it comes to job protocol.

From the various positions you have held, you're discussing a much lower level of jobs. I have had 5 jobs since graduating college 30 yrs ago, including two well known universities and a Fortune 500 company.

Sounds like you have had about 28 jobs in the last 30yrs. No, if you go apply to be a waitress, a bartender, or a retail clerk, chances are they aren't going to call you if you don't get the job.

However if you interview for a position at NYU that requires a panel interview, they get back to you.
Sounds like your math is off. It looks as though you missed the "full-time corporate panty-hose-wearing desk jockey" gig, in the post you took the time to quote. And the radio station engineer, which is a skilled position that, at the time, required a license and a degree, which I have.

I didn't bother mentioning the business that I owned, because I didn't have to interview myself for the job. How about taking your e-peen down a notch, hm? I also didn't bother mentioning that the 30-plus years of work, started 30 days after my 16th birthday, when I worked part time while attending high school, then the four years of college, working at least one part time job while attending full time school plus doing a few hours every week as a busker...

then my early 20's before I decided I had to settle down and "work for a living" when I worked as a full-time temp for Kelly Services, and was continuously employed by them for 7 years, but assigned to a variety of short-and-mid-term positions at companies first in Boston, then in Connecticut where I eventually settled.

But I didn't think it was necessary to go into all that, because it's off topic.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
If you went to the interview and decided you weren't interested, you wouldn't follow up. If you still are, definitely do so. Although maybe that sounds like an excuse for HR dept laziness. I often wondered why they wait until they hired someone to send rejection messages. It turns out you could have made it to the final round, but after making an offer to the winning candidate, the champion might turn it down, and you as the runner up may have gotten the offer.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:03 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
And when they tell you "you weren't good enough," then that answer won't be good enough. You'll want to know what about you, wasn't good enough. Why couldn't they tell you what you did wrong, specifically!!!!

And when they say the contract was postponed so they can't offer you a job afterall, at this time, you'll want to know why didn't they tell you the job might be postponed, before you got all gussied up and spent half the day going to and from the interview!!!!!

And when they say they cancelled the job, you'll think "oh right, they never had one, they're just collecting interviews."

Some people just can't be satisfied, no matter what answer they give. So really, you're just not worth responding to, if you aren't the one they're offering the job. You're not worth the -potential- headache. If you care enough to call and ask, they'll take a moment to tell you. But if you can't be bothered to ask about a job you supposedly want badly enough to interview for, then they shouldn't be bothered telling you that you didn't get the job. Or why.

They don't OWE you an explanation. You're not *entitled* to politeness. It's not a constitutional right, it's not even a zoning law.

You're entitled to wonder why you didn't get a job. They're entitled to allow you to wonder.
Nice job overblowing things there.

I find it amusing that you thought it neccessary to make up excuses for the corporate stooges who expect perfection from job candidate but who can't even be bothered showing a scrap of honesty in their job listings or hiring practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search