Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 03:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
And lots of online apps request a 10 year employment history. Or you'll be disqualified. Even if you're able to perform such tasks required.

For someone like me who graduated high school a year or two ago, how on earth am I supposed to provide an employment history when I have no experience? I should just put a virtual tour of my life for the past 10 years, starting with school. Then put every single activity I ever got involved in.
Well, according to some of the esteemed posters I've run into, the only reason you're unemployed is "because of yourself." or some such nonsense...

No, no... it clearly can't have anything to do with the insane job descriptions, unreachable requirements, and worthless software that junks 99 to 100% of all applicants automatically... right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 03:22 PM

380 posts, read 961,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBENEDICT View Post
To meet quota's , in return to claim they "actively" sought out a diverse candidate pool for the opening. Its really to meet Equal Opportunity Employment laws (and Affirmative Action laws, if they apply).
This is a common practice in business in other countries as well, according to their laws.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,725 times
Yea, places were cronyism is rampant and an accepted form of business. Where nothing gets down without a bribe.

Software has become another hurdle to get past. I HATE applications that ask "have you ever done something that you'll only have down if you held this exact position before", because I haven't, and I already know that chances are my application is going in the trash the second I submit it and that no get's processed.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
KnownUnknown: Yep, I'm also getting sick of job descriptions that may as well read like the following:

"Requirements: 3 to 5 years experience sitting in a grey-blue cubicle near a window. At least 2 of those years must be in a production environment designing seat cushions for the automotive industry for luxury sedans. Must be proficient in Word 2003, Excel 2007, Lotus Notes 1.0, and NX 3. A minimum of 2 years experience managing coworkers named Bob and Alice is required. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with the ability to travel anywhere, anytime. Bilingual skills in Mandarin and Elbonian strongly encouraged. Local candidates only, no unemployed need apply."

Okay, we get it - the company isn't really hiring, or at least they are not hiring anyone from outside their ranks. Yet these "jobs" continue the illusion of "the Recovery" and allow companies to shift the blame to the unemployed for "not being qualified." Right!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,664 times
I just don't like putting my info out there unless I have a shot. What's the point, so some faceless manager of a store can look at it and choose not to call me.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofny26 View Post
I just finished 5 applications online.....I think I need a moment after reading this thread
How long did that take? 4 hours? I did one 4 weeks ago and it was about 30 mins

Old 06-09-2012, 02:34 AM

114 posts, read 244,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
How long did that take? 4 hours? I did one 4 weeks ago and it was about 30 mins
LMAO seriously you aren't lying though. I began at 8 something and with small breaks in between. Last application I submitted was 20 minutes before posting that. I almost feel as if they owe me call me back or I will go mad

Old 06-09-2012, 03:09 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
I heard on NPR that a HR director applied online to his own company he couldn't get pass the system

Old 06-09-2012, 03:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Why would a job actually post if it's not available?
Internal requirement.

I interned at a federal agency a couple years ago. When a position opens, they are required to post it to the public. Then a central HR office in Washington reviews the applications, selects candidates, and then forwards the list of selected candidates back to whichever agency/office is looking to fill the position. The idea behind the process is to reduce favoritism/cronyism/what-not.

But if the office with the open position has a particular candidate in mind, they tailor the application requirements narrowly enough that few people other than the preferred candidate meet them, and what do you know if by some coincidence the preferred candidate isn't among the few that are forwarded by the central HR office in Washington for further consideration.

The Chicago office of the federal agency I interned for has a solid working relationship with a particular department at the grad school I attended (which is how I got the internship in the first place). So what they often did was post the position for the minimum number of days required, contact the department chair or coordinator, and say "psst! We have a position open for a few days! Tell your students and recent grads to send in their applications!"

Old 06-09-2012, 05:21 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Well, according to some of the esteemed posters I've run into, the only reason you're unemployed is "because of yourself." or some such nonsense...

No, no... it clearly can't have anything to do with the insane job descriptions, unreachable requirements, and worthless software that junks 99 to 100% of all applicants automatically... right

Didn't you know Rambler? Thou shall not talk about anything unless it is the applicant's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search