Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,354 times

Advertisements

If you're unemployed head to one of these places.

8 Cities with Surprising Job Growth - Yahoo! Finance

- Nashville, TN
- San Antonio, TX
- Orlando, FL
- Raleigh, NC
- Portland, OR
- Oklahoma City, OK
- Phoenix, AZ
- Atlanta, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post

- Nashville, TN
- San Antonio, TX
- Orlando, FL
- Raleigh, NC
- Portland, OR
- Oklahoma City, OK
- Phoenix, AZ
- Atlanta, GA
Thats flawed because Atlanta is still terrible.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
A rather odd list...

I would have expected the usual oil boom states... I thought Florida was a mess for jobs, though I have no person experience there.

Keep in mind that low unemployment numbers just mean that there are relatively few people on unemployment in the area. That doesn't mean that there are a lot of actual jobs. Also, once a person's unemployment benefits run out, they no longer count as unemployed, so you could have a high "shadow unemployment" number even in areas with low official unemployment.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
Those cities are for non-skilled job searchers looking for hourly wages. Which is fine...

Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Indianapolis should be on the list and for a few good reasons
Indianapolis is leading the nation in job growth. Indiana created 17000 jobs in the past month and over 50% of those were created in the Indianapolis metro area. We Lead the nation in job growth and continue to do so with the 5th best business climate in the country .
Also unlike Las Vegas or Pheonix which is in the middle of a barren desert Indianapolis is in a way better location. There is plenty of scenary and Trees and nature around compared to sand and more sand. Plus Indy is only a 3 hour drive from Chicago and 3 hours from St Louis. Indianapolis is also within a days drive to 80% of the US population.
Indy has also been making the news for an outstanding job at hosting large events like Super Bowl 46 *Which was so good there is a demand from both the NFL and Media to bring another Super Bowl back to Indianapolis later this decade* the Indy 500 which is the largest sporting event in the world. with over 400,000 in attendance and many other conventions and festivals held throughout the year.
Indianapolis is also the most affordable major metro area to live in. Cost of living in Indianapolis is 25% below the national average and half that of major cities like NYC/SF/LA etc.

Indy should of been on that list.
Heck Indianapolis, IN Jobs on CareerBuilder.com
has been showing a nice increase in jobs avaiable in the Indy area.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post

- Nashville, TN
- San Antonio, TX
- Orlando, FL
- Raleigh, NC
- Portland, OR
- Oklahoma City, OK
- Phoenix, AZ
- Atlanta, GA
I don't know who combined this list, but I can tell you Portland, OR has never been a good place to find a job. I lived there from 2002 to 2005 and even back then it was bad.

Other than a brief surge in the late 90s, Portland has always been a tough job market. Too many people want to live there, you have all these 20 and 30 something hipsters competing to be baristas at Starbucks...LOL.

FL is a mess right now, sure there might be some low paying service industry jobs but they're not going to pay enough to support people. FL is also very heavily dependent on the tourism dollar. A lot of those jobs are seasonal.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't know who combined this list, but I can tell you Portland, OR has never been a good place to find a job. I lived there from 2002 to 2005 and even back then it was bad.

Other than a brief surge in the late 90s, Portland has always been a tough job market. Too many people want to live there, you have all these 20 and 30 something hipsters competing to be baristas at Starbucks...LOL.

FL is a mess right now, sure there might be some low paying service industry jobs but they're not going to pay enough to support people. FL is also very heavily dependent on the tourism dollar. A lot of those jobs are seasonal.
I agree about Portland. A friend of mine held out as long as she could but finally had to leave the area selling her condo on short sale. She was so bummed as she loved living there but the job market is terrible.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 PM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Des Moines

Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 PM

114 posts, read 244,858 times
Dude Ive been in Orlando for 4 months now and cant find a decent job to save my life. Someone please revise that list!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 PM

114 posts, read 244,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Those cities are for non-skilled job searchers looking for hourly wages. Which is fine...
Agreed. I live in Orlando and minimum waged jobs are everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search