U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
461 posts, read 801,432 times
Reputation: 330

Advertisements

I'm quite disappointed. The job that I applied for at the mess hall is now on a temporary hiring freeze. After being told by a few people who work there that I should have absolutely no problem getting in because of my certification and my experience... I run into a freaking hiring freeze.

How can a place that fired 100 people go on a hiring freeze so soon? Sure, I'm being told by the people I know that work there to call every so often starting next week if I dont hear anything.

If it's not one thing it's another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2012, 12:53 PM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
2,953 posts, read 8,627,303 times
Reputation: 3211
Too many people that are just employees try to get outsiders involved and they don't know whats happening. Just because they let go 100 people, doesn't mean they are going to replace them. Normally means theyre cutting back, and no hiring for awhile. So in response, their work has cut back, so they fired 100 people, Why would they need to hire if they are firing? Seems like if they needed people, they wouldn't get rid of employees that already work there. Save UE ins rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
461 posts, read 801,432 times
Reputation: 330
They fired them because there was a serious drug problem there. The place is on the military base and they don't hand out applications unless they are looking to actually hire people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 PM
 
Location: USA
7,478 posts, read 5,791,269 times
Reputation: 12322
Probably just another case of "making do with less" - work the current people until they drop, let everyone else rot on unemployment, and then complain that they "can't find qualified workers" or some nonsense.

One would think they'd need to replace the drugged-up people, but maybe not... who knows these days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 02:16 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
461 posts, read 801,432 times
Reputation: 330
All I know is I'm getting highly annoyed and depressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 PM
 
Location: La Mesa Aka The Table
7,487 posts, read 8,036,977 times
Reputation: 8517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Probably just another case of "making do with less" - work the current people until they drop, let everyone else rot on unemployment, and then complain that they "can't find qualified workers" or some nonsense.

One would think they'd need to replace the drugged-up people, but maybe not... who knows these days...
Good Post!
We are in a "do more with less" economy right now!
Right now I'm in my 4th week of 6 days a week 12hr a days.
My company won't hire and won't give the part timers/paid interns any more hours.
They rather work the full timers to the bare bone and pay us gazillion dollars an Hr to do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,862,681 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
They fired them because there was a serious drug problem there. The place is on the military base and they don't hand out applications unless they are looking to actually hire people.
Most likely the contractor's status is under investigation and that will always result in a hiring freeze until cleared.

What you need to do depends on some items: I assumed you already applied and was accepted for employment but didn't start yet. If thats the case, hold tight and keep in contact with them so when the freeze is lifted, they know your still available. However, if you were never offered an actual position, I would not be briinging this much emotional baggage into the process based on what others said could be the case for you being hired.

If you were offered a position by the contractor and now its a freeze, monitor closely the progress because if the contractor is going to be replaced, (there will be winds blowing around it) you want to be appying at the potential replacements now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 03:38 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
461 posts, read 801,432 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Most likely the contractor's status is under investigation and that will always result in a hiring freeze until cleared.

What you need to do depends on some items: I assumed you already applied and was accepted for employment but didn't start yet. If thats the case, hold tight and keep in contact with them so when the freeze is lifted, they know your still available. However, if you were never offered an actual position, I would not be briinging this much emotional baggage into the process based on what others said could be the case for you being hired.

If you were offered a position by the contractor and now its a freeze, monitor closely the progress because if the contractor is going to be replaced, (there will be winds blowing around it) you want to be appying at the potential replacements now!
You're right. I wasn't actually hired, however they did show some interest (commenting that it was good that I had my certification). I guess I did jump to conclusions and assumed that I would hear something sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,862,681 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
You're right. I wasn't actually hired, however they did show some interest (commenting that it was good that I had my certification). I guess I did jump to conclusions and assumed that I would hear something sooner rather than later.
Well, just use it as a lesson to not get yourself worked up over something that was mostly in your own mind.

Now, the fact still remainds that they may be in the need for people when stuff settles down. So make sure you keep in touch to let them know you are interested. Also, keep yout ears open to ANY talk about the contractor. Knowing what is going on can only be beneficaly to you, either to get the job you aplied for, get that job but through the new contractor, or to show the company you have faith in them despite the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM
 
640 posts, read 1,087,373 times
Reputation: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Probably just another case of "making do with less" - work the current people until they drop, let everyone else rot on unemployment, and then complain that they "can't find qualified workers" or some nonsense.
Basically, in a nutshell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top