Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,377,839 times

Advertisements

I'm a male in the retail management industry and I have an interview coming up with an action-sports apparel company. I'm going to be interviewed by a female, whom I assume is either the general manager of the store, and this worries me because from my experience in retail, whenever I'm interviewed by a female I rarely get the job and when I'm interviewed by a male I almost always get the job. I'm very confident, proactive, talkative, and am good with both customer service, crunching sales numbers and forming strategies to meet sales goals. I try to get this across in my interviews and males seem to dig it but for some reason I never get calls back from the females. What are they looking for? How should I approach this interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,389,968 times
Like an interview. I am guessing the reason you don't get jobs when interviewed by a woman is that your attitude when being interviewed by a woman comes through.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:00 AM

553 posts, read 1,208,124 times
Do you know whether other male applicants got called back for the interviews when you were not? Were other male applicants hired when you did not get the call back? If the answer to either of these questions is yes, thebunny is probably pointing you in the right direction.

Your "attitude" may be inappropriate in any of many different ways when you are interviewing with a woman. One issue that might be a problem is if your experience with male interviewers has been to establish quick rapport that allows for casual interaction. Establishing that kind of comfort level can be an easy path to a favorable evaluation of your interview by a weaker male manager who does not recognize why that kind of conversation was inappropriate. When a female manager is interviewing you, the exact same kind of conversation may not be viewed as chummy and comfortable but instead as flirtatious and unprofessional. Take stock of your past interviewing techniques, and adjust them if necessary to insure that your ability to establish rapport with your interviewer remains on a comfortable but professional level. In a short interview, you cannot earn the friendship level even if it seems that way based on the comfort you felt with prior male interviewers.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:34 AM

157 posts, read 484,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco6163 View Post
Your "attitude" may be inappropriate in any of many different ways when you are interviewing with a woman. One issue that might be a problem is if your experience with male interviewers has been to establish quick rapport that allows for casual interaction. Establishing that kind of comfort level can be an easy path to a favorable evaluation of your interview by a weaker male manager who does not recognize why that kind of conversation was inappropriate. When a female manager is interviewing you, the exact same kind of conversation may not be viewed as chummy and comfortable but instead as flirtatious and unprofessional.
since i need a job i got in this thread. what do you mean by this? getting too friendly too fast? not keeping the interview professional? i dont do this, but just kidna confused what you're saying here.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoguy22 View Post
since i need a job i got in this thread. what do you mean by this? getting too friendly too fast? not keeping the interview professional? i dont do this, but just kidna confused what you're saying here.
The kind of conversation you might have with a friend while drinking beers and talking about old girlfriends is probably marked with different kinds of words, body language, and vocal tones than the kind of conversation you have with a boss while trying to resolve a problem in front of a customer. In both cases, you can be completely comfortable with either the boss or the friend, but there is a big difference in how you conduct yourself. An interview for a job is a lot more like having a work conversation in front of a customer than a casual conversation where no one important is listening to you and your friend in the bar or at the backyard BBQ.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Like an interview. I am guessing the reason you don't get jobs when interviewed by a woman is that your attitude when being interviewed by a woman comes through.
This. You should be interviewing like you would with anyone, male or female. You may not even realize it, but it's obvious you have some issues with comfort (and respect) levels around women - and perhaps with having a female boss in general?

I'm a woman in a female-dominant profession, so I may not be the best one to judge... but the thread's title alone caught my attention, and had me thinking "misogynist red alert!!" We can read those attitudes very quickly, even if it's not something you do consciously. Just treat her like you would any professional employer, and pretend she's a lesbian if that helps any.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 AM

157 posts, read 484,102 times
oh well then i definitely dont do that. im not gonna say anythign about my strong preference to white skinned blondes to my female interview who's a black woman with black hair lol

this seems obvious to me. i hope the op knows better than this

Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,908,733 times
P.S. It could also just be coincidence, in terms of your success with male vs female interviewers. Isn't that possible?? I've never kept track of these things myself, so I have no idea if my track record is better or worse with men... and the mere fact that you HAVE noticed is kinda suspect.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoguy22 View Post
oh well then i definitely dont do that. im not gonna say anythign about my strong preference to white skinned blondes to my female interview who's a black woman with black hair lol

this seems obvious to me. i hope the op knows better than this
At the extreme ends of the spectrum it is obvious. The skilled interviewee, however, knows how far to go on the comfort and friendly part without getting out of the professional conversation zone.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 AM

[quote=gizmo980;24837485] the thread's title alone caught my attention, and had me thinking "misogynist red alert!!"[\QUOTE]

If OP has been interviewing for jobs for several years or more, I would agree. But I am betting this is a fairly young person relatively inexperienced with interviewing. His post actually shows recognition of a problem and a desire to correct it. That is hardly misogynistic.

Of course, I agree that the interviewer should be given the same respect regardless of gender. But I think that OP may be doing just that, and being inappropriate in both cases. He may just be getting away with it when he interviewer is a male because the dynamic in the room is different, and OP cannot get away with the same inappropriate conduct with a female interviewer. So improving interview skills for his interviews with BOTH men and women will probably help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search