U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 AM
 
57 posts, read 226,599 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

I have been in contact with a company I interviewed with 3 times. They have contacted me every week updating me (though not clearly stating that they wanted me and wanted to give me an offer.)

Last correspondence was with the hiring manager 2 days ago, where he asked if I had time to talk on the phone. I thought he was going to extend me an offer. Yesterday (day of the call)I received this:

" Sorry about this, but a wrinkle came up.

Let's still talk at 2:30.... Either [company] will have worked out the problem here and we can move forward, or I'll apologize and promise to get back to you as soon as I can. I thought I had everything set."

I thought this meant I had the job, but some red tape was delaying the offer. However, when he called me, he apologized and said he needed a couple of days to get it sorted and would call me back as soon as possible. Asked me what I had been up to, etc. Still, no verbal offer.

This morning, I received an offer from another organization. Makes significantly less than I was making, and also a much lower title, so I'm not very interested and would really love to work for the other company. I think I can stall them for about a week, but what do I do? Email the hiring manager and let him know about the offer and see if they speed things up?

Does it seem like his email meant they were interested in me and had just been meant with some bureaucratic red tape? I don't think it was anything on my end, but I stupidly didn't ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2012, 12:27 PM
 
2,677 posts, read 3,862,378 times
Reputation: 1332
Stall the company that gave you an offer as long as you can. If you don't hear from the company you want to work for by then, accept the offer. Once you accept the offer you have bought yourself at least another two weeks. Continue to keep in contact with the other company, but I wouldn't let them know about the offer. If nothing comes of it, start the other job and keep looking. You can always quit that job if the one you really want calls you.

This is all stipulating that you are not currently employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,699 posts, read 16,804,243 times
Reputation: 26275
I have found myself in the same boat. I am waiting to hear on one job, they have been keeping in touch with me, (surprised!), while I was asked to come work at another job that really, it's much lower paying, not the kind of thing I really want to be doing with my life and man, I just really want that other job.

BUT, I don't have the luxury to wait it out so I took the one that offered me a job. If the other company does decide they want to hire me, I will go to that other job.

I took the "sure thing" because I can't wait it out on a hope and a prayer, I need to be working. And what if that other company decides not to hire me? Then I lost both jobs! I'm not cool with that.

But that's me. You do what you think is right.

As for the constant contact, I can't help but think that is a good sign. Why would they waste their time contacting you so many times, explaining things like they do if they had no interest in you? However, you don't know what that red tape is...so don't put all of your eggs in to one basket. You have to look out for you even if it means taking the other for sure job and later, even if it's a week or two, leaving that job and going to the job you want. If you do that, do it the best way you can so you don't burn bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 PM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,665,159 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinva View Post
I have been in contact with a company I interviewed with 3 times. They have contacted me every week updating me (though not clearly stating that they wanted me and wanted to give me an offer.)

Last correspondence was with the hiring manager 2 days ago, where he asked if I had time to talk on the phone. I thought he was going to extend me an offer. Yesterday (day of the call)I received this:

" Sorry about this, but a wrinkle came up.

Let's still talk at 2:30.... Either [company] will have worked out the problem here and we can move forward, or I'll apologize and promise to get back to you as soon as I can. I thought I had everything set."

I thought this meant I had the job, but some red tape was delaying the offer. However, when he called me, he apologized and said he needed a couple of days to get it sorted and would call me back as soon as possible. Asked me what I had been up to, etc. Still, no verbal offer.

This morning, I received an offer from another organization. Makes significantly less than I was making, and also a much lower title, so I'm not very interested and would really love to work for the other company. I think I can stall them for about a week, but what do I do? Email the hiring manager and let him know about the offer and see if they speed things up?

Does it seem like his email meant they were interested in me and had just been meant with some bureaucratic red tape? I don't think it was anything on my end, but I stupidly didn't ask.
This "wrinkle" sounds like a budgeting issue. There are a lot of threads on here from people who were all ready to start a new job(some quit their current jobs) to find out that the position was cut due to a funding issue.

I wouldn't mention the other position in order to try and hurry them up.

And I don't think you can stall a company a week, even in a good economy when a job offer is exteneded they will give you a day or two to think about it, let you discuss it with your husband/wife/partner and that's about it.

But not a week to decide.

Are you currently working? That would give you two weeks and a day or two.

I would take it, you can always turn it down later if the first position comes through, but it sounds like something might be up with funding the position.

As the old saying goes " A bird in hand is worth two in the bush".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 06:27 AM
 
57 posts, read 226,599 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
This "wrinkle" sounds like a budgeting issue. There are a lot of threads on here from people who were all ready to start a new job(some quit their current jobs) to find out that the position was cut due to a funding issue.

I wouldn't mention the other position in order to try and hurry them up.

And I don't think you can stall a company a week, even in a good economy when a job offer is exteneded they will give you a day or two to think about it, let you discuss it with your husband/wife/partner and that's about it.

But not a week to decide.

Are you currently working? That would give you two weeks and a day or two.

I would take it, you can always turn it down later if the first position comes through, but it sounds like something might be up with funding the position.

As the old saying goes " A bird in hand is worth two in the bush".

I doubt its a funding issue. This is a very large organization that already had the money for the position, AND were just awarded a grant to fund the position apart from that (they actually found out the day of my second interview.) The position is not contract, but the grant should certainly help with the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 AM
 
9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
Reputation: 18389
I'd tell them that you have another offer, but that you would much rather work for their company, so you need an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,665,159 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinva View Post
I doubt its a funding issue. This is a very large organization that already had the money for the position, AND were just awarded a grant to fund the position apart from that (they actually found out the day of my second interview.) The position is not contract, but the grant should certainly help with the cost.
Well maybe there is some issue about using the grant to cover the salary? Maybe some internal conflict over whether or not to use the grant money in a certain way.

I would have asked him when he said there was a "wrinkle", what that wrinkle was? Or say something like "I hope it's not a big wrinkle" to see if he would share with you in some detail what the problem was.

If you speak to him again, I would try and ask politely what the hold up is.

For some reason you're being strung along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX
15,023 posts, read 21,723,664 times
Reputation: 22175
I would definitely tell them you have another offer. Same thing happened to me, and it sped up the 'red tape'. It was budgeting issues and the company deciding whether or not to create my position. It is a great position to be in when you have multiple offers, especially in this economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 03:54 PM
 
57 posts, read 226,599 times
Reputation: 47
So he called me today. Fortunately, it seems these guys are very professional and follow up when they say they're going to.

Unfortunately, they said that while they really really liked me, they didn't think I had enough experience for the position I interviewed for. HOWEVER! Because they liked me so much, they wanted to offer me a 3-month contract position. I doubt it includes benefits, and he didn't make it seem like it was a contract-to-hire position. They also did not hire someone else for the other position, they just didn't think I had what they were looking for. I have a feeling this is a trial period, and they're just not sure about me, but who knows.

It's not ideal, but it's something to consider. I'm not sure what to do with the job the VP mentioned. I don't want to contact him and burn bridges with the contract position, but I don't want him to hire someone else for that position and ruin my chances. I thought maybe once I started, I could slowly bring it up while working with him, but I'm not sure if that'll happen. Should I contact him before starting?

Sigh. It's something, but I really thought I had it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 PM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,665,159 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinva View Post
So he called me today. Fortunately, it seems these guys are very professional and follow up when they say they're going to.

Unfortunately, they said that while they really really liked me, they didn't think I had enough experience for the position I interviewed for. HOWEVER! Because they liked me so much, they wanted to offer me a 3-month contract position. I doubt it includes benefits, and he didn't make it seem like it was a contract-to-hire position. They also did not hire someone else for the other position, they just didn't think I had what they were looking for. I have a feeling this is a trial period, and they're just not sure about me, but who knows.

It's not ideal, but it's something to consider. I'm not sure what to do with the job the VP mentioned. I don't want to contact him and burn bridges with the contract position, but I don't want him to hire someone else for that position and ruin my chances. I thought maybe once I started, I could slowly bring it up while working with him, but I'm not sure if that'll happen. Should I contact him before starting?

Sigh. It's something, but I really thought I had it.
Well that's good that he got back to you like he said he would, but why would you take a 3 month contract position when you have been offered a full time job?

You're asking about benefits, so it sounds like you need them and aren't on a spouse/partner's benefits.

They're not going to offer you benefits on a three month assignment.

Sorry, I wouldn't risk that this might be a trial period to test you out, when you have another offer on the table.

Most jobs have a probationary period of three to six months, so it's not like they couldn't have hired you and released you.

I would pass on this and take the full time job.

JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top