U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 PM

15,050 posts, read 21,810,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
No, I am trying to open him up to the possibility that this is a much bigger issue than he realized or wrote about, and, to me, it doesn't sound like the job issue will address his concerns.
100% I have been stressed for over a year with my career. Full blown breakdowns, panic attacks, unable to cope with my family and friends. My husband has stood by me the entire time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,978,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
100% I have been stressed for over a year with my career. Full blown breakdowns, panic attacks, unable to cope with my family and friends. My husband has stood by me the entire time.
That is what I am thinking.... I have known those who have had horrible work situations or scenarios and were completely stressed but their spouses did not go to the point of oh lets get a divorce.

I think there is something much bigger afoot.

And the bosses "promising" to make things better with a much higher pay package sounds sketchy. Generally speaking companies don't just pay you more with the expectation that you will do LESS.

I go back to the whole lying family business-- just very sketchy all around and the OP may end up in a much worse position.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,888,415 times
I don't know....if I gave a notice to my job, I don't think I would trust a counter offer. At that point I've made it clear that I no longer want to work for the company, and the paranoid cynic in me envisions a scenario where I gleefully rescind my notice in lieu of the higher salary, only for my employer to let me go after I've said no to the other job prospect and I'm up s**t creek.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 PM

461 posts, read 803,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I don't know....if I gave a notice to my job, I don't think I would trust a counter offer. At that point I've made it clear that I no longer want to work for the company, and the paranoid cynic in me envisions a scenario where I gleefully rescind my notice in lieu of the higher salary, only for my employer to let me go after I've said no to the other job prospect and I'm up s**t creek.
I'd have to agree. The company already knows that you are unsatisfied. As soon as you accept the counter offer, they will probably be planning on how to get rid of you.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:20 PM

15,050 posts, read 21,810,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
True, but he has no other job. So a job is better than none IMO. As stressed out as I have been, my family needs the benefits and the money. We looked at cutting back but still wouldn't be able to pay the bills. It sucks, and is a hard choice, but right now my family is (sort of) coming first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search