U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 AM

5,547 posts, read 8,885,378 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job recently and they are checking my references- is this a good sign?

I have posted on here quite a bit- I have been running my own business for over a year now as my "back up career plan". I am an older career changer that wanted to get into cost accounting however the jobs at entry level are few and far between and my age has been an issue. I had the business idea as a backup plan however a cost job opened up in a small town less than 10 miles from my house at a small manufacturer. I would really like to get the CMA designation which requires two years of experience.

I applied, interviewed and they seemed really interested. They requested my references a week later. Does this mean I may have a chance at the job?

My objective for the business has always been geared towards remote work in specialized areas. I can still operate in the evenings and weekends with a few minor adjustments. If the job turns out to be what I want to be doing and is challenging enough there is no telling how long I will stay with them- There is a lot to be said for working close to home. (I am 55 miles from a major city and really hate commuting)

So, is it a good sign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
Based on my experience, it means that you are one of several (or many) people who are still in the running, but by no means does it mean anything other than that.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 AM

Thanks Joe,
I wasn't sure if it was a sign of a "sure thing" or just more screening.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,010,327 times
I think it depends on the job, and how many applicants were interviewed... I went on 6 interviews in the last month, and the only one to check my references offered me the job (which I accepted). So I would say it's a very good sign! But in my line of work, which is a government/public position, they don't bother checking references on more than one or two candidates - which might differ from other types of jobs. Good luck, either way!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Well, I was supposed to hear something today and it's 1:30pm with no call yet. That is NOT a good sign. They would probably call the "winning candidate" first and offer the job. Since it is getting late in the day I can only assume I will get a "sorry....." phone call or e-mail around 4pm.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Is this a good sign. Is that a bad sign. You will just drive yourself nuts trying to analyze everything and it won't do you much good.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 PM

2,618 posts, read 5,462,136 times
I sell background screening for a living, and it usually means one of three things:

It's part of a hiring policy to background each candidate that gets to X round of the hiring process and it means nothing.

Or

You've reached the part of the process where they're seriously considering hiring you so they're doing a background/reference check as due diligence to make sure you're a good fit for the company.

Or

It's between you and one or two other candidates and they're searching for ways to narrow it down to one.

If they're having a background screening company do the reference check it's costing them money to do it, so they're either serious (small company) or it's just a process (big company). If they're doing it themselves then they're probably serious as checking references is a time consuming and PITA process for a person in a hiring position to do.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:51 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,464,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I sell background screening for a living, and it usually means one of three things:

It's part of a hiring policy to background each candidate that gets to X round of the hiring process and it means nothing.

Or

You've reached the part of the process where they're seriously considering hiring you so they're doing a background/reference check as due diligence to make sure you're a good fit for the company.

Or

It's between you and one or two other candidates and they're searching for ways to narrow it down to one.

If they're having a background screening company do the reference check it's costing them money to do it, so they're either serious (small company) or it's just a process (big company). If they're doing it themselves then they're probably serious as checking references is a time consuming and PITA process for a person in a hiring position to do.
In your experiences, have you witnessed the past employers giving you information other than the title and dates worked at the former company?

Old 06-22-2012, 05:25 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,058,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I applied for a job recently and they are checking my references- is this a good sign?
Yes.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:31 PM

I guess it was a good sign, they had me fill out the application and a background check form and I will be meeting with them for an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or