Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM

497 posts, read 692,021 times

Advertisements

I belong to a number of networking groups and receive daily emails from them.

A job came through today that stated "
This opportunity is open to male candidates only."

I assumed the responsibilities of the job might require a male candidate (resident hall director for a male dorm, etc.) But the responsibilities were very generic and did not provide any reasoning for male candidates only.

I am a bit taken aback by the statement since I thought it would be illegal to discriminate based on gender. I have seen many jobs overseas, especially in the Middle East, that state what gender, age and attractiveness level a candidate should be. But I have never seen such a blatant example of sex discrimination in a US job announcement.

Has anyone else seen statements like this for US jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,002,449 times
I haven't seen something like this yet, but corporations can basically do whatever they want these days. Age discrimination and "no unemployed need apply" are already common, so maybe this company is just pushing the envelope with a new way to weed out people they don't like.

There may be some valid excuse for this, though the people who wrote the job description are idiots for not including it if there is one... in theory, somebody could probably threaten them with a lawsuit or something, though I'm not sure if they'd win... it's hard to say these days.

For pure comedy value, you might want to contact these people and see if there's a reason why... I bet the answer (if they even bother to respond) will be both enlightening and pathetic.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 AM

934 posts, read 1,930,644 times
What are the responsibilities? Can you post the entire announcement?

Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,165,297 times
Its also worth noting what size the company is. Its sometimes actually very legal for extremely small businesses to legally discriminate because they slip under the federal minimum employee thresholds, and many state laws are erected around the federal laws.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM

It's a faith-based organization, so no religion bashing, please! Also, since it is a faith-based org, are they exempt from discrimination policies?

Here are the duties:

The tasks, duties, and responsibilities of this job include, but are not limited to:

* Mentor and build healthy relationships with Middle and High School students. Regularly attend athletic, fine arts, and other co-curricular events to further connect relationally with students. Be present and available to students spending time with them before, during and after school.
* Encourage participation and create excitement within the Community about becoming involved in various programming.
* Create and cultivate new programs and support existing programs that foster student and faculty spiritual growth. Programs include but are not limited to creating and leading multiple Bible studies, prayer groups, service projects, mission trips, etc.
* Participate in and help to develop weekly chapel services. Assist in the planning and implementation of chapel series and creative worship opportunities. Lead by encouraging student participation.
* Assist the Director of Christian Life to carry out the vision for students’ spiritual development through all activities.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 AM

934 posts, read 1,930,644 times
Um, well..... it's probably a male-only religious school.

This didn't occur to you? Those resp don't sound all that 'generic' to me.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,031,065 times
Yes, I see this often for women only.

-Waitresses
-Bar girls
-Hostesses
-bartenders
-dancers
-models
-waitresses
-personal assistants

Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,002,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post

That may be the case - there still are teaching orders of monks and nuns that form single-gender religious institutions of learning.

Still, they should have been clear about this in the ad.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post

It's not - It's a co-ed school.

If the responsibilities listed working solely with male students, then I would understand. But since this person would be working with both males and females, then I don't know why women would not be considered for this job.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,165,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
It's a faith-based organization, so no religion bashing, please! Also, since it is a faith-based org, are they exempt from discrimination policies?

Here are the duties:

The tasks, duties, and responsibilities of this job include, but are not limited to:

* Mentor and build healthy relationships with Middle and High School students. Regularly attend athletic, fine arts, and other co-curricular events to further connect relationally with students. Be present and available to students spending time with them before, during and after school.
* Encourage participation and create excitement within the Community about becoming involved in various programming.
* Create and cultivate new programs and support existing programs that foster student and faculty spiritual growth. Programs include but are not limited to creating and leading multiple Bible studies, prayer groups, service projects, mission trips, etc.
* Participate in and help to develop weekly chapel services. Assist in the planning and implementation of chapel series and creative worship opportunities. Lead by encouraging student participation.
* Assist the Director of Christian Life to carry out the vision for students’ spiritual development through all activities.

My first guess is that its an all male school. Some of those religious schools are really tight on that kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search