Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 05:09 AM
hh0 hh0 started this thread

2 posts, read 1,969 times

Advertisements

Also, what can you do to be more recruited by recruiters? I've only had three recruiters call me after graduating and one was only for a temporary job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 07:58 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,029,797 times
Actually, I would say "no" since I've seen a bunch of job ads that flat out say that they only want direct applicants and anyone submitted through a recruiter will not be considered.

It's a sign of the times, unfortunately. In a sane world, recruiters would help people cut through the HR crap and be matched up with appropriate jobs quickly. In reality, many recruiters seem to lack jobs and jerk clients around, while companies try to avoid dealing with the recruiters or any other job applicants.

My own experience have been similar to yours: it seems recruiters are only able to produce poor-paying temp jobs located in the middle of nowhere. These jobs often lack any details and float around for months or years, making me wonder if they even exist... even if they did, they aren't economically profitable, so they aren't worth it.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:17 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hh0 View Post
Also, what can you do to be more recruited by recruiters? I've only had three recruiters call me after graduating and one was only for a temporary job.
Well.. depends on the agreement with the recruiting firm.

My last organization relied on a well-known and respected recruiter in our niche. When he brought in a candidate, the organization paid A LOT of attention. Aka, the recruiter specialized in finding folks who were not looking for a new job. They were pretty content at their own organization, etc. I know when our group went through our product being cut and folks were being laid off-- the two candidates the recruiter brought in got new jobs internally within the company pretty quickly. Why? The recruiter first had a vested interest to not lose his commission, second the recruiter had high level solid contacts with leaders across our entire large firm to network these folks into new jobs fairly easy.

However, it takes YEARS of working with a firm and employer for a recruiter to get this kind of relationship. And honestly, as a new graduate you are not what this guy would be interested in working with. You just don't have anything to add that not thousands of other new grads can offer.

So, what I am saying is that recruiters who just fill easy orders or contract orders will have no issue with contacting you. The employer is not going to trust them any more than say another firm who has access to the same candidate pool. Until you get some expertise in your industry, the real headhunters are not going to seek you out-- and hence you will not quite have access to the recruiters that employers will give an immediate chance to to fill the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search