U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 08:46 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,739,781 times

Advertisements

My resume is very good, except for the last two jobs. I worked for one company for 5 years, the next 6 years. I made a move into a different industry and lasted one year at the job before I was put on notice.

Luckily I found a new job that I was really excited to move into. A few months later, the job is not at all what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a remote position and I was supposed to receive intense training. Sadly this didn't happen, I am commuting over an hour each way and I am floundering. Again, put on notice.

I have an interview this week, and am worried how to talk about my job hopping over the last two jobs. I haven't been in my current position for long, and know that it is not going to work out. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:28 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,226,795 times
I don't think you should be concerned. Your first two jobs had lengthy tenures. I'm not sure what you mean by "put on notice" for the third job, but the fourth could simply be explained the way you told it here. If they ask, just say the position was not as advertised.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 AM

Good point, thanks!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,466,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
My resume is very good, except for the last two jobs. I worked for one company for 5 years, the next 6 years. I made a move into a different industry and lasted one year at the job before I was put on notice.

Luckily I found a new job that I was really excited to move into. A few months later, the job is not at all what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a remote position and I was supposed to receive intense training. Sadly this didn't happen, I am commuting over an hour each way and I am floundering. Again, put on notice.

I have an interview this week, and am worried how to talk about my job hopping over the last two jobs. I haven't been in my current position for long, and know that it is not going to work out. Suggestions?

I wouldn't worry about it at all. It is much more acceptable and common nowadays than it was in the past. I'd be surprised if they even mention it; as you are likely to have job hopped less than your rivals for whatever position you interview for.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 AM

3,279 posts, read 6,607,924 times
I usually leave jobs after a year and a half to two years. Five years or six years is definitely not "job hopping."

Not that "job hopping" is a bad thing. It hasn't kept me from finding work other places.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I usually leave jobs after a year and a half to two years. Five years or six years is definitely not "job hopping."

Not that "job hopping" is a bad thing. It hasn't kept me from finding work other places.
That I realize. The last two jobs I had less than a year which is my concern. I am most concerned of them asking the question why I am searching for a new job after being with this job for three months.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:21 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,029,897 times
I've "job-hopped" pretty much throughout my professional career, having been through 5 (going on 6) jobs in the last 5 1/2 years... since I had valid reasons for the hopping, i.e. temporary positions and layoffs, that's what I put on the application if asked. I've yet to be asked in an interview, except once recently when they questioned why I was looking for a new job (since I'm already employed) - all I had to say was "It's part-time and technician instead of librarian," and they all nodded in approval. I got a call-back for another interview from them, and an offer from another library, so I guess it doesn't hurt your chances! As long as you have GOOD reasons for leaving those jobs, I don't think anyone will care much. As another poster said above, having multiple jobs in a short period is fairly common these days.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:45 PM

12,675 posts, read 14,014,541 times
Depending on the industry, layoffs are very common today. In fact, I would be willing to bet it's a valid excuse in many professions. I'm sure many potential employers have seen resumes that show several different jobs listed for the past half a decade.

Then again, I had an interview about half a year ago where the potential employer made mention of the number of jobs I had listed. I made mention of the fact that I was working some of those jobs consecutively. Didn't get a call back for that one. Every potential employer is different. It all depends on the type of worker they are in need of. With employers laying off so many workers, I kinda wonder why they are so concerned about longevity. I never take a job and expect it to last over a couple years these days... So what, employers can hire and fire at will without thinking twice, but us workers shouldn't be able to move from one job to another at will??? It's a two way street...

Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Well had the interview today. And EVERY person (I interviewed with 6 people) asked the questions. So just be warned, prepare to answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or