Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:28 PM

8 posts, read 956,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Ok. If you were given an official job offer with the contingency that it could be withdrawn if you don't pass the background and drug tests, you DO have recourse. If they chose not to hire you because of the background, they do have to let you know. However, this information often comes directly from the background check company and NOT the employer. You may have an issue with the check that the employer knows about but can not discuss with you.

When you filled out the authorization for the background, did you take any of the info with you as to who is conducting the check? If so, you may want to call them and ask what the issue is...
No i didn't take any info with me just the drug screening paperwork to get done at the office i had to go to.

I will say though that the timing may be an issue. The manager is kind of lazy and they got the paperwork started right before memorial weekend so i know that had an impact on the timing. But is there any reason for concern? I mean I have no criminal record and didn't lie on my application.

I'm just wondering could they have messed something up or is that unheard of? Should i be worried? I just want to know whats going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 04:04 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginAlyssa56 View Post
No i didn't take any info with me just the drug screening paperwork to get done at the office i had to go to.

I will say though that the timing may be an issue. The manager is kind of lazy and they got the paperwork started right before memorial weekend so i know that had an impact on the timing. But is there any reason for concern? I mean I have no criminal record and didn't lie on my application.

I'm just wondering could they have messed something up or is that unheard of? Should i be worried? I just want to know whats going on?
They absolutely could have messed something up. Maybe go into the location in person? Go at a time when they are not super busy, and see if in person you get more answers.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
They absolutely could have messed something up. Maybe go into the location in person? Go at a time when they are not super busy, and see if in person you get more answers.
Thanks! Having someone say that makes me feel a little bit better. And knowing they have to contact me soon does too.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
What state are you in? It took me 6 weeks for a background check here in Phoenix area.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM

Well, "soon" is not necessarily the case, but I have been part of some colossal screw ups in background checks...none mine that I know of, LOL. One job I had they entered the current address into the "past" area, so it took a minute or so to figure that out. So, mistakes are possible.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:55 PM

I live in California. and well if it's not soon then how long can they have me hanging? I mean they have to eventually contact me? whether or not they fix a problem or if they're hiring me for sure or because I didn't pass the background. I mean how long would it really take?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Well, "soon" is not necessarily the case, but I have been part of some colossal screw ups in background checks...none mine that I know of, LOL. One job I had they entered the current address into the "past" area, so it took a minute or so to figure that out. So, mistakes are possible.
how long did it take to fix the mistake?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
Just go to the Canadian border and mouth off to the border patrol. They'll complete a background check in 20 minutes, while you wait.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 PM

44 posts, read 157,306 times
Hmmm

I work for a company that does background checks on our clients. The most I've seen was three and a half weeks, and we called after two weeks because we thought it was odd that it was taking so long.

Basically, it can depend on where you lived in the past. You mentioned California -- California, New York and I think Illinois requires a company to include a county, while other states typically don't. Anyway, California usually takes the LONGEST, so that could be one of the issues. Another issue could be that they found something and they're running it by or doing an override, with whichever company they go through for a criminal check.

Did they say what kind of check they would be doing? One time I interviewed for a certain position and their background check took 8+ weeks, so I decided to go with another job. However, this was a Government position, and they do very intense searches on their prospects.

I'd give it another week or two and call the company.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginAlyssa56 View Post
how long did it take to fix the mistake?
As I recall, a couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search