Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 18,024 times

Advertisements

It's been a week n I'm waiting on my background check to come I'm going threw the same thang and I just want a answer she just telling me it's not back yet and I'm getting frustrated. I told them I'll. Work any position.I just need a job.they haven't open yet they open next month and I'm just worred I told them I have a background but it's been a decade it's just stressing me out she just keep saying they haven't received it yet and she will give me a call I really want the job I just want them to keep it real with me like I kept it real with them about my background can anybody answer please I applied for assistance. Manager at a new hotel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd add some information that might be helpful to applicants who have to take a drug test.

I once had an applicant interview for a great professional position. He seemed like the perfect candidate and we were going to offer him the job. However, his drug profile came back positive for an ingredient that's in Adderall and he hadnt listed Adderall, or any medication related to it, on his drug forms.

The HR dept decided that we couldnt offer him the job based on that and we should have let the matter drop right there without contacting him. However, we liked him so much that we asked him to explain the results. His explanation was that he had borrowed an Adderall pill from a friend to help him focus for a college final a few days prior. Apparently, exchanging Adderall pills is so common in colleges that he didnt consider it might be a problem. But it was. He was devastated that he didnt get a terrific career opportunity because of that. I hope that, at the least, he learned a valuable lesson.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:47 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
The HR dept decided that we couldnt offer him the job based on that and we should have let the matter drop right there without contacting him.
why would you even consider doing this? i'm glad you didn't. if you're rejecting someone, let them know. it's the least you can do. you don't have to go into the detail about the results of the drug test as you did (although i don't see why you wouldn't), but at least send the person an e-mail or letter saying that they will not be offered employment due to the results of their background investigation/drug test. just leaving them hanging forever is rude and obnoxious.

and it's quite possible that there is a legal/reasonable explanation for a positive drug test result. i've mentioned before that my dad tested positive for opiates because he ate some poppyseed cake that day. seriously.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHeffner173 View Post
It's been a week n I'm waiting on my background check to come I'm going threw the same thang and I just want a answer she just telling me it's not back yet and I'm getting frustrated. I told them I'll. Work any position.I just need a job.they haven't open yet they open next month and I'm just worred I told them I have a background but it's been a decade it's just stressing me out she just keep saying they haven't received it yet and she will give me a call I really want the job I just want them to keep it real with me like I kept it real with them about my background can anybody answer please I applied for assistance. Manager at a new hotel
a week is really not that long. remember that time moves differently on the other side of this - i know it's nerve wracking but to them it's just their job and maybe someone's out, someone just didn't get to it for a couple of days, etc. just be patient and stop contacting them. it's only been a week and your post implies you've asked multiple times. you're probably annoying them. they will get back to you when they have an answer for you.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:53 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
why would you even consider doing this? i'm glad you didn't. if you're rejecting someone, let them know. it's the least you can do. you don't have to go into the detail about the results of the drug test as you did (although i don't see why you wouldn't), but at least send the person an e-mail or letter saying that they will not be offered employment due to the results of their background investigation/drug test. just leaving them hanging forever is rude and obnoxious.

and it's quite possible that there is a legal/reasonable explanation for a positive drug test result. i've mentioned before that my dad tested positive for opiates because he ate some poppyseed cake that day. seriously.

Our HR dept felt that the less said to any candidate who fails a drug test, the better. Many HR depts feel that way because some applicants will harass them, and possibly even file lawsuits, over the failed test results.

And I realize there can be quite innocent reasons for failed drug tests. But, with so many applicants out there nowadays, HR depts probably dont feel it's necessary to deal with second chances.

Edited to Add: I posted only to provide helpful info for applicants -- not to argue or defend my company's position.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 AM

i can understand not telling them the results of the drug test, or even that the issue was the drug test, but were they actually not going to send a rejection at all?

i work for a very large, very lawsuit-averse hospital system and if someone is rejected or fired due to a positive drug test, they are informed of it. this is a place that makes people indicate whether or not they took a lunch when swiping out in order to avoid lawsuits over unpaid lunch time. if they can inform people of drug test results, so can your company. i realize this is not your decision but it really bugs me that an employer who has made someone an offer would just drop communication with them for any reason.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 17,399 times
How long it takes to get a background check back because she said when she get it back she will place me some where. so I thought I have the just need to get the background check back but she haven't called me yet. I been calling them every day n it been three or four weeks n I don't think if a background check takes this all.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:01 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I had to have an SP86(?) background check for the only 'real' job I got in South Florida for Homeland Security.
The employer told me it would take a month. After three months, the FBI still hadnt finished their part. They called people at weird hours and used phone numbers that were not on the form. In the meantime, we were mercifully and finally able to put the nightmare of Florida behind us, so I called them and said dont even bother finishing the check. But yeah, over three months for my check
It's called an SF86, and three months is nothing for for a BI.

The reason they called bad phone numbers is because the numbers you gave them were bad or the people you listed were not responding so they used commercial resources to locate them. This was done to give you the benefit of the doubt in your claims, not because they're stupid.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 16,577 times
the hotel company that offer me the job send me an email to do background check. so i did and now im worried because i went to jail in 2012 for unpaid traffic tickets and it turned into a warrent. and i also got terminated from my last job would that affect my background check for the hotel industry?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 PM

85 posts, read 151,412 times
I'm not an HR guy, but I would think I'd seriously have to question if I want someone to manage my hotel if they went to jail for parking tickets. How many parking tickets does one need to get to end up in jail? Why not just pay the first and quit parking illegally? It comes across as lazy. If you won't pay a simple parking fine, are you going to be able to schedule all the maids, work around the loss of employees or deal with tough situations?

A termination usually depends more on the reason. You could have been downsized, etc., things beyond your control. However, if it's something like threatening a co-worker, violent outbursts, jail, etc., then there is definitely going to be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search