U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 PM
 
Location: USA
4,980 posts, read 8,434,659 times
Reputation: 2506

Advertisements

Ha, hold onto your shorts for a "recovery". Maybe when you see them building huge factories and hiring thousands of workers and more small businesses are able to compete, maybe when everything isn't offshored, including agriculture.
Most don't know the extent of the job losses here in America, because they watch the MSM and believe the slant.
Weird when someone tells you to look outside your field, as if you could not think of that one yourself.
Very hard to find work outside your profession, not saying not to try, but most screen resumes looking for a few years in the industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 11,294,908 times
Reputation: 3097
Weird when someone tells you to look outside your field, as if you could not think of that one yourself

Not necessarily, considering who I'm asking LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 17,058,556 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Ha, hold onto your shorts for a "recovery". Maybe when you see them building huge factories and hiring thousands of workers and more small businesses are able to compete, maybe when everything isn't offshored, including agriculture.
Most don't know the extent of the job losses here in America, because they watch the MSM and believe the slant.
Weird when someone tells you to look outside your field, as if you could not think of that one yourself.
Very hard to find work outside your profession, not saying not to try, but most screen resumes looking for a few years in the industry.
No one is suggesting a marketing guy should apply for medical positions, but it is wise to consider fields that are not precisely what you have done, but that share enough needed skills and experiences to have an employer view you as a sensible possibility despite it being a small turn away from what you did before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
TV, have you considered looking outside your "field"?

I had to when jobs in my field dried up around here (at decent wages anyway). The job I have now may not be ideal but it keeps a roof over my head, gas in the car, food on the table and the lights on, until that "recovery" actually happens.
Yes I don't have a choice now. I don't want to play around with this UC thing too much longer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM
 
Location: USA
4,980 posts, read 8,434,659 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No one is suggesting a marketing guy should apply for medical positions, but it is wise to consider fields that are not precisely what you have done, but that share enough needed skills and experiences to have an employer view you as a sensible possibility despite it being a small turn away from what you did before.


And that goes without saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 11,294,908 times
Reputation: 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yes I don't have a choice now. I don't want to play around with this UC thing too much longer
Glad to hear it TV. I wish you well in your new job hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 07:59 AM
 
Location: The #1 sunshine state, Arizona.
12,172 posts, read 15,448,447 times
Reputation: 64033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'd get away from non profits. Government discretionary spending, which is its funding source, is going to continue to shrink, making life at these non profits riskier every year.
I'd like to see people will rely more on volunteer organizations, private charities and churches than the government. Charity begins at home, not in a government office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,157,720 times
Reputation: 35901
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I decided to say what the hell today and complete two online applications for a local college and Comcast and when I came to the end I was asked to provide 3 references. I immediately stopped the application because there is no way you will have the numbers of my references and you haven't even met me yet. I swear companies are getting more and more WEIRD each year.

Unless I;m on a job interview and asked for a list of my references then that's the only way I will provide that information. So I guess I will never be a Comcast employee
This is a standard practice in online applications ... References don't get called until you are interviewed and deemed to be a serious candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
This is a standard practice in online applications ... References don't get called until you are interviewed and deemed to be a serious candidate.
I wasn't sure that's why I logged out and decided to skip the application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,157,720 times
Reputation: 35901
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I wasn't sure that's why I logged out and decided to skip the application.
It's not just private companies such as Comcast but also government and schools. I know this because I've applied to zillions of positions and ALWAYS been asked for references/contact info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top