Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It's not just private companies such as Comcast but also government and schools. I know this because I've applied to zillions of positions and ALWAYS been asked for references/contact info.
Yeah I have noticed that with education jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 12:45 AM

306 posts, read 431,440 times
I'm still shocked when I see they're requesting references for certain minimum wage jobs.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 PM

457 posts, read 645,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I decided to say what the hell today and complete two online applications for a local college and Comcast and when I came to the end I was asked to provide 3 references. I immediately stopped the application because there is no way you will have the numbers of my references and you haven't even met me yet. I swear companies are getting more and more WEIRD each year.

Unless I;m on a job interview and asked for a list of my references then that's the only way I will provide that information. So I guess I will never be a Comcast employee
You'll also never work for:
Verizon
T-Mobile
Sprint
Lowe's
AT&T
Most public school districts in New Mexico

And these are sh** CALL CENTER jobs (and substitute teaching). Which supposedly are "high turnover" "take anyone" jobs.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Very few online apps require references. And if they do, they are of the professional kind. I can understand that. That's like saying you don't want to list where you've worked or something.

But most online apps provide a place for you to list references. You don't have to. Not sure if leaving it blank looks poorly, but then again HR departments look for any reason to not hire people.
I don't know how many you've done lately or which ones, or which STATES' but around here it feels like it's almost EVERYTHING that's still hiring. And the websites will NOT let you continue if you leave those fields blank. You have to cancel out of that page and log out. And try to think of something else to do for a living.....

Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I mentioned that I applied for a job on the University of Pennsylvania website because they didn't ask for a list references and my SSN.
Nice to know that ONE state has a university that doesn't ask those things.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Temp agencies must have just started this because in 2009 I was not asked for a list of references.
When I first started temping in 1994, Kelly Services wasn't asking for references back then. Back then, THEY were the ones who were going to be your "reference" to their client companies, and I'm not sure exactly when that ENDED. Nowadays those same temp agencies won't give people the time of day if they don't have references from "real" full time jobs other than other agencies' Agents. It's as if Temp Agencies have forgotten what the term "Agency" is supposed to mean. They're your Agent....THEY act as your "reference" or "go-between" with the client. Not sure exactly what year this changed.........

Old 07-26-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
It doesn't look poorly at all since the HR department will ask you for references if they are planning on contacting them regardless of whether you listed them on the online application.
I think the problem lately is that the online applications are designed so you can't go past that screen without filling in something and if you just put "n/a" or try to "X" out the phone number it will block you from being able to proceed to the next screen. The forms simply will not LET you proceed. You have to literally close out your browser window to "X" out of the page......THOSE.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Agree. For me, I don't mind handing over references if asked, but I have rarely come across applications that have ever required it during the initial stages. I agree that employers should wait to collect that information from candidates who are seriously being considered for the job - not from every Joe who fills out an application online.

And I will not hand over my SSN through an online application. Again, I rarely see companies asking for that info online, but when I have, I cancelled the application and moved on. If you want my SSN, then I will gladly give it to you when we meet for an interview.
I won't ever give my Social until I'm putting it on the payroll paperwork because, get this, that's all it's FOR. It's a taxpayer identification number. In both the US and Canada. That's all it's legally for and any other use constitutes "document abuse" and is grounds for charges against the employer or whomever is requesting it as if it's some kind of 'identification card'......

Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The funniest thing of the day was a community college in philly asking for a SSN and references on a online application while the IVY league school which was University of Penn didn't ask for neither-lol
Good one

Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
Good one

I actually found a local government job 32 days after I created this thread last year and can't believe how time flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search