U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:26 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't know how you think you're going to get a job, since the overwhelming majority require online apps.
I mentioned that I applied for a job on the University of Pennsylvania website because they didn't ask for a list references and my SSN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
Wrong school. University of Pennsylvania is an ivy league school. I believe you're thinking of Penn State. If you're going to try and be a troll, at least get the name of the school correct.

Many places run your credit in order to judge your suitability for a job (Dealing with large amounts of cash, personally identifiable information access, etc). This requires your SSN, and you're normally notified of this when applying via the application.

OWNED!

LOL

Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM

48 posts, read 95,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I decided to say what the hell today and complete two online applications for a local college and Comcast and when I came to the end I was asked to provide 3 references. I immediately stopped the application because there is no way you will have the numbers of my references and you haven't even met me yet. I swear companies are getting more and more WEIRD each year.

Unless I;m on a job interview and asked for a list of my references then that's the only way I will provide that information. So I guess I will never be a Comcast employee
I'm really outraged at what employers feel they can ask you now.
Background check - ok I get that, depending on the job - but don't get me started on credit checks. Give me a job and my credit will improve IMMEDIATELY!

After all the time you spend on your resume, all the dates and descriptions of jobs and all those details you've laid out for them, you still show up to these interviews and get handed a clipboard where you have to basically hand write everything from the resume you already e-mailed them. Makes no sense to me. I walked out of one interview when they handed me a 10 page application. How many times do you want me to say the same thing??

Old 06-27-2012, 12:53 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,629,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
They do background checks BEFORE they offer you a job, and you don't fill out an I-9 until it is time to start. I completely get why people are hesitant to provide a SSN, but this is the way it works. not everyone is an identity thief.
No, they can only do a background ck, after they offer you the job. Credit nor I9 verification can begin unless there is an agreement between employer and employee.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabatha1970 View Post
I'm really outraged at what employers feel they can ask you now.
Background check - ok I get that, depending on the job - but don't get me started on credit checks. Give me a job and my credit will improve IMMEDIATELY!

After all the time you spend on your resume, all the dates and descriptions of jobs and all those details you've laid out for them, you still show up to these interviews and get handed a clipboard where you have to basically hand write everything from the resume you already e-mailed them. Makes no sense to me. I walked out of one interview when they handed me a 10 page application. How many times do you want me to say the same thing??

For years I always thought you filled out the application AFTER you were hired. That's why I was so irritated when I went to one interview and I was handed a application and was like...."what is this?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
For years I always thought you filled out the application AFTER you were hired. That's why I was so irritated when I went to one interview and I was handed a application and was like...."what is this?
Nope, application is just that, as the word implies, "application - a verbal or written request for assistance or employment

You fill out the application, if they want to hire you, they offer you the job with certain stipulations, ie, background, E-verify, if they ck out, the job is yours, if not, they rescind the offer.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,105,065 times
Quote:
I mentioned that I applied for a job on the University of Pennsylvania website because they didn't ask for a list references and my SSN.
How's that working for you so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
No, they can only do a background ck, after they offer you the job. Credit nor I9 verification can begin unless there is an agreement between employer and employee.
Not true. I just had a background check done between the second interview and the offer.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Only once in my job searching has the requirement been to submit a resume only, then they asked for an application to be completed at the first interview. Never, ever have I heard of filling out an application after you're hired. That doesn't make any sense at all.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Handbook for Employers
Instructions for Completing Form I-9
(Employment Eligibility Verification Form)
Your employer MAY NOT:
Ask to see your employment authorization documents before he or she hires you or before you complete Form I-9.

Straight from the US Government website. Been audited twice and had this LAW read to me several times by Federal Employees.

So, Yes, is true. Or, wait, its the LEGAL way you are supposed to do it.

Familiarize yourself with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), which regulates how you can perform an employment background check. Running a background check isn’t something you can simply do on a whim – you must get written, explicit approval from the job candidate before you go looking into their past.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Handbook for Employers
Instructions for Completing Form I-9
(Employment Eligibility Verification Form)
Your employer MAY NOT:
Ask to see your employment authorization documents before he or she hires you or before you complete Form I-9.

Straight from the US Government website. Been audited twice and had this LAW read to me several times by Federal Employees.

So, Yes, is true. Or, wait, its the LEGAL way you are supposed to do it.
This addresses providing your actual SS card so the employer can verify you can legally work in the US. It has nothing to do with a background check. I was not asked to show my card, but I was asked for the number at my first interview. Based on the number of complaints in this forum about being asked for a SSN on an application, I'd say it is perfectly legal. Govt agencies and corporations have lawyers to make sure what they are doing is legal. they can't all be totally uninformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or