U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2012, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,125,273 times
Reputation: 20430

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well I just applied to a great job on the website of University of Pennsylvania and there was no questions about a list of references. Which confirms the Comcast organization is a JOKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
The more professional the job, the less likely this will be an issue.
Oh really? Then why is it that I'm a professional government employee, and have been asked for reference contacts on probably 80-90% of all online apps I've ever submitted? Hmmmm.

Obviously it differs from place to place, but asking for this info ahead of time certainly doesn't mean it's a "joke" or non-professional job. I know California has some issues, but pretty sure their city/county jobs are still legitimate - LOL. They don't actually call anyone until the final step, and still ask for that when you first apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2012, 06:35 PM
 
841 posts, read 1,667,534 times
Reputation: 1164
All I can say about looking for jobs today is it's a new world where nothing makes sense.

My husband is constantly applying online and has seen it all. He does it all right and still (even with a lot experience) can't get ANY jobs, even ones with agencies.

He said to the lady please ask the employer what I did wrong in the last interview so he is willing to do anything, including LEARNING from his mistakes.

I don't wish to lecture you, TV Guy, but you have to pick up the pace and not expect to get a "low level" agency job when UE runs out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,454,988 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
All I can say about looking for jobs today is it's a new world where nothing makes sense.

My husband is constantly applying online and has seen it all. He does it all right and still (even with a lot experience) can't get ANY jobs, even ones with agencies.

He said to the lady please ask the employer what I did wrong in the last interview so he is willing to do anything, including LEARNING from his mistakes.

I don't wish to lecture you, TV Guy, but you have to pick up the pace and not expect to get a "low level" agency job when UE runs out.

low level agency job won't keep me in my apt so I can't get that-lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
 
640 posts, read 1,089,530 times
Reputation: 517
Today I applied at longhorn steakhouse for a dishwashing position. I had to take a personality test with 105 questions. Ridiculous and I already know they won't be calling me as usual. I put in 2 references and they were required.

One company named "R&D" - Haverhill, MA has an ad looking for hospitality/janitors but when I try to apply it says "apply below". Nothing there. I click "continue" and it keeps leading me to more and more sites and it finally ends at some spambot website. Whoever posted this is going to be confused when they get no applications, wondering why. No phone number either.

A burlington coat factory is opening up here in haverhill, mass and plans to hire 75 people. I just applied to their job listing today. I wish they had a phone number somewhere, so I could make a quick follow up call with the hiring person but they haven't opened yet.

Last edited by silenthelpreturns; 07-04-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 AM
 
7 posts, read 14,986 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You were hired via an online application, without so much as an interview?

And given 12K to move?

Sorry, not buying it.
Well you may not be buying it but it happened. I had a 1 hour long phone interview + they already had my resume and had checked my references. I am a Registered nurse with over 20 years of experience and there is a national shortage of nurses but I still thought it was weird too. They did not give me the money up front. It was a sign on + moving bonus and I got that after working there for 3 months. The Director over the entire unit was hired the same way, maybe it is just someting done in the medical field

Last edited by axil2; 07-06-2012 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 AM
 
Location: here
24,841 posts, read 30,178,189 times
Reputation: 32415
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Today I applied at longhorn steakhouse for a dishwashing position. I had to take a personality test with 105 questions. Ridiculous and I already know they won't be calling me as usual. I put in 2 references and they were required.

One company named "R&D" - Haverhill, MA has an ad looking for hospitality/janitors but when I try to apply it says "apply below". Nothing there. I click "continue" and it keeps leading me to more and more sites and it finally ends at some spambot website. Whoever posted this is going to be confused when they get no applications, wondering why. No phone number either.

A burlington coat factory is opening up here in haverhill, mass and plans to hire 75 people. I just applied to their job listing today. I wish they had a phone number somewhere, so I could make a quick follow up call with the hiring person but they haven't opened yet.
At least once I had trouble with an online app on Firefox, but it worked perfectly when I tried it in Explorer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 02:54 PM
 
640 posts, read 1,089,530 times
Reputation: 517
I tried opera and IE, it leads to one of those keyword spam sites. But really I think this is just an example of something doing more harm then good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
2,953 posts, read 8,644,653 times
Reputation: 3212
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
low level agency job won't keep me in my apt so I can't get that-lol

And UE does? Is it really better to be Unemployed, no future, no benefits, than to accept a job, in this economy, and market//? You won't have to turn that ringer off at certain times, you won't be able to afford the phone bill, and the calls will stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,454,988 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
And UE does? Is it really better to be Unemployed, no future, no benefits, than to accept a job, in this economy, and market//? You won't have to turn that ringer off at certain times, you won't be able to afford the phone bill, and the calls will stop.
I have to accept it now, I was referring back to March when I was in my 3rd month of UC. But even if I do accept it the job must be close to home due to transportation costs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 11,323,634 times
Reputation: 3097
TV, you're UE again???

Good grief

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top