Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axil2 View Post
I have filled out job applications online and had to give references, social security#, etc. If I worked in HR and you didn't fill out everything, I would throw it in the trash and move on to the next application. This is 2012, filling applications out online is the way it is going. I got the job online without ever meeting anyone and they gave me $12,000 to move as the job was in another state

You were hired via an online application, without so much as an interview?

And given 12K to move?

Sorry, not buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
Seriously man, good luck finding a job when filling out an application is too much to ask of you.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
I did and never had a problem with it. I'm afraid it is the wave of the future so good luck!!!!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:11 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I understand not wanting to provide your SSN, but I don't really see the (potential) harm in providing references. Really, what are you worried about?

Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I normally don't complete online applications but since the position seemed like something that was a fit for my background I decided to do it and when I saw the reference question I cancelled
I don't know how you think you're going to get a job, since the overwhelming majority require online apps.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:20 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
I decided to say what the hell today and complete two online applications for a local college and Comcast and when I came to the end I was asked to provide 3 references. I immediately stopped the application because there is no way you will have the numbers of my references and you haven't even met me yet. I swear companies are getting more and more WEIRD each year.

Unless I;m on a job interview and asked for a list of my references then that's the only way I will provide that information. So I guess I will never be a Comcast employee
Don't give up on your Comcast application yet. Where it says "references" just fill in "upon request" then call them and tell them that you do hesitate to put someone elses information online and will provide them when and if you get an interview. I do think and agree with you that it is a bit too personal to ask for someone elses info online. Call them!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times
The thing I don't like is when they ask if they can contact current employer, but they don't give you anywhere to explain. So I worry that "No" disqualifies me, when really I just want them to wait until they're ready to make a commitment to me before jeopardizing my current job.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Quote:
The funniest thing of the day was a community college in philly asking for a SSN and references on a online application while the IVY league school which was University of Penn didn't ask for neither-lol
Only thing Univ of Penn wants to know now is if you are a child molester or not.

References? geez, its just an app. You shouldn't put your ssn, until you fill out the I-9, which means you have been offered the job. Your choice, stay unemployed and don't let your references out. or, do you just not have any? or any that will give you a good rep? maybe you shouldn't put down anyone that knows you.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 AM

126 posts, read 423,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Only thing Univ of Penn wants to know now is if you are a child molester or not.

References? geez, its just an app. You shouldn't put your ssn, until you fill out the I-9, which means you have been offered the job. Your choice, stay unemployed and don't let your references out. or, do you just not have any? or any that will give you a good rep? maybe you shouldn't put down anyone that knows you.
Moderator cut: personal remarks

Many places run your credit in order to judge your suitability for a job (Dealing with large amounts of cash, personally identifiable information access, etc). This requires your SSN, and you're normally notified of this when applying via the application.

Last edited by Marka; 06-28-2012 at 03:37 AM..

Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post

They do background checks BEFORE they offer you a job, and you don't fill out an I-9 until it is time to start. I completely get why people are hesitant to provide a SSN, but this is the way it works. not everyone is an identity thief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search