A little bit about my situation:
I interviewed for a job over the phone 2 weeks ago (IT job). I was given a verbal offer for the job the next day along with an e-mail from the HR person recapping what we had discussed on the phone as well as asking for a few references. I was told at the time that a written offer would be put together quickly so they could have me go ahead and put my 2 weeks in at my current employer.
The next day after receiving the verbal offer I had a meeting with my current manager to discuss some timelines for projects I am working on and when they would be completed. Not wanting to BS my boss I went ahead and told him that I had verbally accepted a new job offer and was waiting for a written offer. They naturally would love for me to stay but understand my need to advance my career.
I was then told that Friday after telling my boss that they would be having me do a test as part of the next step (something that was never mentioned). I didn't receive the test until last week(pretty basic stuff from a programming perspective). I completed the test just fine and sent it back to company a few days later once they sent me a link to upload the test. I was then told after sending it to them that they would have it looked it by this Monday. As long as everything with the test looked good they would put together a written offer. The bad thing is that the hiring manager is out this week but he did say he would work with HR to get it put together.
I sent a follow-up e-mail today to see if the test had been looked at yet but got a auto-reply back that the hiring manager was out for the week. The company for the most part has kept the lines of communication open but time seems to be ticking very slowly with.
My current employer is starting to interview people this week to potentially replace me. They ask me pretty frequently what my current situation is and it's hard to give them an answer. A verbal offer doesn't mean much, even along with the e-mail that i received that discussed salary, etc but a written offer would allow me to officially put my 2 weeks in at my current employer (and lower my stress level
). My references have still not been contacted so they haven't reached that point yet. I'm not sure if i'm worrying too much or not. I feel like i'm putting my current job in a bad position since i feel like i'm essentially keeping them hostage from being able to hire a replacement until they know what is going on with me.
Any thoughts or comments is appreciated. I have been pretty stressed out about the whole situation so it feels pretty good to find an outlet to channel some of that stress.