U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 AM

6,894 posts, read 7,297,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Now that they are this far in, they have to make a decision and the advice has been:
(1) fess-up
(2) withdraw from the application
(3) give the future employer what they want by forging the documents
OR..try one of the options others here have given him:

a) say the current employer considers that confidential. And just as he wouldn't follow the new company's policies, he's not going to betray his CURRENT company....after all he IS still employed by the old company at this point.

b) give his stub and when it doesn't show 60K say he added in bonuses and bennies like insurance, health care, 401K match etc THAT is what I'd do. IF they buy that and ACCEPT that..that weakens their argument for firing him later. Because he told them that and KNOWING that still hired him. Now, of curse some hard a$$ could still say 'he lied on the application or in the interview" but I think that's weak -- if you later go on to accept how he got to the 60K

I'm still wondering how the new company would get the info..... WOULD THE CURRENT COMPANY TELL A COMPANY THAT IS GOING TO TAKE THIS EMPLOYEE AWAY, OR A COMPETITOR WHAT A CURRENT EMPLOYEE MAKES. MY COMPANY DOESN"T CONFIRM SQUAT, without permission of the employee.

What's the new company going to say "Joe, who works for you now interviewed with us, we need to know what he makes?"

Now, true, the new company could accept his reasoning now, hire him ....then go back and try to get the info. But I'd hope HR has better things to do....UNLESS the HR person who OKed him feels like the guy got over...and doesn't let it go, and is like a dog with a bone...to FIND OUT.

Don't forget it's not so much WHAT you say but HOW you say it. If the OP says option B above like it's the truth and is very upfront -- "oh yeah that 's how I got the number," the HR person may not think twice about it. But if it SMELLS like you're lying...well then....

FORGING a pay stub wouldn't even be an option. But then again. do you really think they're going to check ALL the nitty gritty math on it.
They'd likely just look at the gross...MAYBE...MAYBE some other numbers at that's it. They just want to see a stub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 AM

47 posts, read 178,509 times
Hello all,

Time for me to give you a update on the situation. I am currently still with my old company.. however, I ended up emailing the new company with below response.

Quote:
My current salary, which is the same as when I started with XXX in December 2010, is 48k but, as promised when I started, currently being renegotiated at a 15-20% raise based on Houston standards for Sales reps.. I understand if you want to counter offer with this in mind.

I have attached my pay slip. Let me know if you need more than just one.
Two days later I got below response.

Quote:
Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for your reply. We are prepared to offer you a starting salary of $55,000/year contingent.

We will, of course, review your performance and salary and your bonus targets at the end of your first year.
I ended up being honest and they got me a new offer which I accepted. I did think about getting a false stub etc but I guess I just felt like being honest.

I will start in the new position within the next three months.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,972,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Olson View Post
Hello all,

Time for me to give you a update on the situation. I am currently still with my old company.. however, I ended up emailing the new company with below response.

I ended up being honest and they got me a new offer which I accepted. I did think about getting a false stub etc but I guess I just felt like being honest.

Congratulations--- on the new position AND on maintaining your integrity and ethics.

Let us know when you start your new position!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:40 AM

9,735 posts, read 18,445,046 times
Im surprised they hired you knowing you lied to them. Out of you 7k pay increase how much does the govt get ?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,325,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Olson View Post
Hello all,

To the OP. In future situations like this, make sure to give them YOUR lowball offer. Tell them you want to make at least 60K and hope that they offer you a higher offer. When I transferred to my current employer I never once mentioned how much I was making previously. But I told them that if I were to even consider a job or go to an interview with them I would need to get an offer of X Amount. Be clear that it is literally your LOW end offer and that anything lower you would not be interested. This way you lay your cards out first, which makes it easier on them.

This technique got me a 27% raise on my old salary + 2K on top of that because they wanted me bad enough to offer even higher.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:01 PM

15,035 posts, read 21,767,703 times
Congrats that everything worked out for you!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:40 PM

6,086 posts, read 8,380,134 times
I'm glad it worked out and kudos to you for being honest.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:47 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,211,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Congratulations--- on the new position AND on maintaining your integrity and ethics.
Moderator cut: languageThere's no integrity OR ethics in business.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 07-14-2012 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Offensive language

Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Moderator cut: language There's no integrity OR ethics in business.
Exactly. Most employers don't value their employees at all. You are just a thorn in their side.

I'd lie my way into a job without feeling the slightest bit guilty.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 07-14-2012 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,194,109 times
I hate it when people post questions and then disappear without a follow-up so thanks for the update and congrats! Good luck in your new position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or