U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,443,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
No kidding. I have never in my life been asked for pay stubs after accepting a job offer.

What will they demand next? Interviews with relatives and walk-through tours of your home?

I never have either.
And, what's the difference between saying you make this amount and asking for that amount?
Anything someone puts down can be negotiable, so if the employer only wants to pay X, then they hold onto that.
If they have to ask for paystubs, then that HR or hiring manager has no idea what the job is worth.

And you can say you had Direct Deposit, and no stubs, everything is online... but I would just say that was my offer.
They do that all the time, just turn the tables and not say they said this or that, but it IS this or that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
To the OP. In future situations like this, make sure to give them YOUR lowball offer. Tell them you want to make at least 60K and hope that they offer you a higher offer. When I transferred to my current employer I never once mentioned how much I was making previously. But I told them that if I were to even consider a job or go to an interview with them I would need to get an offer of X Amount. Be clear that it is literally your LOW end offer and that anything lower you would not be interested. This way you lay your cards out first, which makes it easier on them.

This technique got me a 27% raise on my old salary + 2K on top of that because they wanted me bad enough to offer even higher.

Actually, you do the opposite. If you want 80K, you ask for 100K. They say, "Whoa, that's TOO high, we can't do that..." then they offer you 80K. If they offer you 70K, you ask for a bit more...
That's how you buy a car, so you buy a job the same way.

Get the money going in the door. It's the ONLY time you can really negotiate!!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Moderator cut: languageThere's no integrity OR ethics in business.
Exactly.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 07-14-2012 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Exactly. Most employers don't value their employees at all. You are just a thorn in their side.

I'd lie my way into a job without feeling the slightest bit guilty.

I agree.

Yep,what's the difference between asking for an amount and him saying it's what he made? Not much...I am sure this company has a good idea what they want to pay for this position.

Integrity? People want the guy to have integrity? How about protecting oneself and not bending over for these invasive tactics.

There is NO way I'd ever show any proof of what I made. Everywhere I go, they want to pay less.

When one is being hired, it's the only time you can negotiate.

Get it going in the door.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:29 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,448,919 times
To the OP, HR calls your current employers HR to confirm a few things. They call to confirm if you work there, how long you've worked there, and how much you make. Also, since you still work there this doesn't apply but they ask if you were fired, quit, etc. However, they aren't allowed by law to go into detail about what happen.

I was told this by my former supervisor and he's fired people before. I had to go to an UI hearing and read up on stuff like this just to cover my butt.

So in short, don't lie THAT much. I would've said 52k. That's something that isn't THAT far off but you went too high up. I just an interview and I replied "roughly 40k". Roughly to me means 38-42k.

And now reading over your post again, I think they already called and found out the truth. So, you have a few options.

One, you can admit you lied...bad idea.
Two, tell them you said 52k not 62k. If there wasn't a long conversation about salary, I'd go with this one but you can not waver at all. You have to be a confident liar that you said 52k. If it was in writing, don't do it.
Three, just send the paperwork and hope for the best...that's not my style.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,550,569 times
Awesome! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Olson View Post
Hello all,

Time for me to give you a update on the situation. I am currently still with my old company.. however, I ended up emailing the new company with below response.

Two days later I got below response.

I ended up being honest and they got me a new offer which I accepted. I did think about getting a false stub etc but I guess I just felt like being honest.

I will start in the new position within the next three months.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,493 times
Default Prospective Employer Asking for Pay Stubs

This just happened to me and it was the most un-nerving thing I ever experienced. I did fax my pay stubs to the interviewing company (after I had stated on the application that my salary was higher than my pay stub indicated) and it was very upsetting. (We're looking because we're not making the money we should be. We have one chance to negotiate on our own behalf and that is when we are offered a new position with a new company. After we're in, its steps, levels, blah, blah, blah.)

I was offered the job at a lower salary than I thought I deserved knowing full well that the low offer can because I had disclosed the pay stub. Very disappointing. Didn't take the job.

I WILL NEVER AGREE TO DISCLOSING MY SALARY TO A PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYER AGAIN. I will read that background check form that they send me and look for the section that says "I will" or "my current employer can" disclose my current salary to the prospective employer and I will draw a line through it (send a copy to my HR Dept.), sign it and fax it back to the prospective employer. I will not have my hands tied behind my back like this again. NEVER. It was a month of hell.

If asked about my altering the form, I will politely indicate that I am sure they have a salary range for the position and that I am happy to discuss salary levels within that range, but I will not be disclosing my current salary to them. And then not say another word. (If they have a problem with that, they can move on to the next candidate.)

I urge others to push back on this. It is wrong and a severe invasion of privacy.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,661,564 times
The bitterness in this thread was comical. Evil corporations. Whether current salary should or shouldn't matter in negotiations is debatable. Current salary can be a bargaining chip in these discussions. However, you have to understand it works both ways. The potential employee can use it to his/her advantage as well. When I was interviewing with my current company I was initially offered essentially the same salary I was making at the time with my previous company. They had decided on the offer amount before knowing my current salary. After being informed of my current salary they went up about 10k. I guarantee these people bitching about having to divulge that information would bring it up in a heartbeat if they were offered less than their current salary and the information could help them get more money.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:56 PM

753 posts, read 2,256,566 times
1. I have never had a potential employer ask for salary information.

2. You are already employed, so if you're happy at your current job, why do you want another job if all you're looking for is more money?

3. Give someone else a chance at the job. Someone who is....say.....UNEMPLOYED and needs a job!!

Old 12-27-2012, 01:04 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,475,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
1. I have never had a potential employer ask for salary information.

2. You are already employed, so if you're happy at your current job, why do you want another job if all you're looking for is more money?

3. Give someone else a chance at the job. Someone who is....say.....UNEMPLOYED and needs a job!!
This makes no sense. Switching jobs doesn't eliminate the previous job. There's still the same number of jobs, thus the same number of opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or