U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM

5,549 posts, read 14,214,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Ummmmmmmmmm.......no.

Not quite my style.
I guess not then. What a coward. ... whimp ... wussy -- Yeah, I'm talking about whoever did that.

If I see a post that is stupid, I'll say so. I won't use the word "stupid," but the reader will have no doubt.
I'm a skilled insulter and some people are only up to using the word stoooopid ( anonymously ).

There are lots of people in this economy who are working
for far less than they used to make before it was trashed.

Why should someone who used to make 98765 have to settle for 87654
just because they have been temporarily working for 54321?
Oh yeah, the employer thinks their skills have deteriorated over the past few months/years or so.

If the OP got an offer of $60k then that is what they deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:56 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,050,585 times
I'm not going to comment on the ethics of this because that's over and done with and not what yor asking but since they are asking cor proof about info you lied about I would not quit a job for this one, since once they sniff this out they may not hire you or rescind the offer.
Also I would edit out your name from the user name

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-27-2012, 07:04 PM

107 posts, read 183,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I'm not going to comment on the ethics of this because that's over and done with and not what yor asking but since they are asking cor proof about info you lied about I would not quit a job for this one, since once they sniff this out they may not hire you or rescind the offer.
Also I would edit out your name from the user name

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

^^^ This I hoping one is smart enough not to use their real name on a Forum because any employer can google you. Lets hope the OP is smarter than that.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,200,502 times
They already gave good advice here... I would say pay stubs are confidential but if they press on for it I would counterfeit one with a scanner, printer, and a pay stub generator.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,965,320 times
When I read all of the unethical ideas on here-- it makes me laugh that so many are so clutching their pearls about executives and the big bad corporations for being unethical, etc.

At the end of the day-- the corporation is run by people. People who probably let their integrity slip little by little so much so that they got absolutely used to just being completely shady so one day they turn out into full scum.

Not saying the OP is going to turn into a Bernie Madoff-- but the sheer numbers of folks who think it is not such a big deal to completely lie and even produced forged/counterfeit/fake whatever documents is beyond me and PROBABLY one of the very reasons why corporations DO such background checks.

I would hope you would ask yourself if you owned a business would you really want to hire an employee who thinks it is completely okay to make fake documents or bold out lie about their history? I would be worried that when faced with other uncomfortable decisions that they don't know how to really handle they would also lie, fake, etc.

As I said in my other post-- you can EASILY handle the question about salary with decorum and integrity.

I have done so before by saying something along the lines of, "Since coming into the organization we have had hiring freezes and increase freezes. At this point, I have gained additional XYZ skills and experience and the reason why I am leaving is because of XYZ's inability to pay me market rate, etc"

Old 06-27-2012, 11:22 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times
As for a possible answer if you CAN"T get out of it and they call you on it you could say your total compensation was 60. Your salary may have only been 40, but by the time you add in bennies like health care, insurance, etc...that could fudge you up to 60K. You could say you added in the value of those benefits. Now we all know that's not considered SALARY, but that fudge might work just enough so they don't think you blatantly lied, and will still hire you, WITHOUT it leaving a bad taste on their end.

This may not be the case with the OP, but the sad thing is so many people have been unemployed for so long -- if they run into an employer who wants all kinds of personal info...how many people would be in a position to say NO to that....when you've got no money coming in or are looking at your last unemployment check not many people would tell a potential employer take a hike....after FINALLY GETTING an offer.

If I were looking for a job for over a year ...not one interview, then I finally get through the interview to get an offer.....I might give up my first born (and I don't even have kids)

This site is so helpful. At least now, many of us have some come-back responses should we be asked what we made before or for corroborating documents.
The key is knowing what you'll say -- before you're asked. You NEVER want to lie.
But sometimes despite all your prep, you get asked something you never imagined.

Last edited by selhars; 06-27-2012 at 11:53 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 AM

40 posts, read 128,894 times
You should never lie about these things when you write it down on an application.

Employers do ask for your pay stubs and its fair game. If you don't want to give it to them that looks terrible on your part. It raises a red flag and looks like you're hiding something.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 AM

2,953 posts, read 8,621,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Something positive? Be honest. Simply say that your old salary is not relevant to the performance on the new job, and as such, you don't see why a physical pay stub is relevant to the salary negotiation. If they are impressed enough with the OP as a candidate, they will be OK with it. If they aren't impressed, they will not be.

There isn't much positive to say when a person has been caught in a lie. I personally am not a huge fan of thinking of ways to help someone creatively screw a company over, but you might disagree.
Hey, an idea out of the nay sayer! See you can come up with one when you try.

And honesty? screw a company over? You are kidding right? When there are companies out there like Enron, Halliburton, Anderson & Anderson? to name a very small number of companies that have royally screwed over their employees as well as the public!

Rather be a shepherd than a lamb. You follow the lemings off the cliff. C-ya!

Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,418,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Hey, an idea out of the nay sayer! See you can come up with one when you try.

And honesty? screw a company over? You are kidding right? When there are companies out there like Enron, Halliburton, Anderson & Anderson? to name a very small number of companies that have royally screwed over their employees as well as the public!

Rather be a shepherd than a lamb. You follow the lemings off the cliff. C-ya!

Do you have anything beneficial to add beyond personal insults?

Once you want to have a conversation like an adult, let me know. OK champ?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:42 AM

15,023 posts, read 21,719,486 times
Did you say 60 was your base pay? What about telling the employer what you currently make is your base, the structure of bonus just changed and you have the opportunity to make 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or