U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,546,863 times

Advertisements

At the end of the day, the American corporation is run by people who are shielded by American laws to a manner and a degree that no one can touch them, so that they freely can lie, cheat, steal. But, oh yes, they are permitted to expect perfect behavior out of those who are not shielded left and right by laws - the employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
At the end of the day-- the corporation is run by people. People who probably let their integrity slip little by little so much so that they got absolutely used to just being completely shady so one day they turn out into full scum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 11:26 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,289,708 times
Why would his current employer -- HR, would get the call, I guess.....confirm to another company, possibly a competitor, what one of their emplyees makes.

What's the new company going to say: "Your employee Joe Blow interviewed for a job with us and we want to cofirm his current salary? Wouldn't HR say ...uh...."NO."

I don't see why they would give out or confirm that info.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM

156 posts, read 466,901 times
I don't understand why there is so much negativity and bitterness on this board. The OP lied when asked a question during an interview and got caught.

The prudent thing to do would be to not disclose your current salary in the first place but now that a lie has been made, you shouldn't make it worse by additional lies. I think refusing to provide that documentation is sufficient. Be aware that if you do take that new position and they ever find out you lied during the interview process, they can fire you.

Stay positive, don't make any additional untruthful statements, and refuse to provide documentation as one of the earlier posters recommended. It won't be the worst thing that could happen if they revoke the offer because you refuse to provide documentation. Take it as a lesson learned (albeit a hard one). Good Luck and stay positive.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,546,863 times
I don't think the reaction on this forum is negativity per se. I do think it comes from people having experienced corporate lies, then reading about this situation in which a corporation is asking more than honesty. They're asking him to bare his underwear and spread his legs. Of course, this baring is not something corporations are ever willing to do.

I think what it is is that too many people have been burned by corporate lies, directly and indirectly, and so this reaction you're witnessing is more of an outrage, than mere negativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctecchie View Post
I don't understand why there is so much negativity and bitterness on this board. The OP lied when asked a question during an interview and got caught.

The prudent thing to do would be to not disclose your current salary in the first place but now that a lie has been made, you shouldn't make it worse by additional lies. I think refusing to provide that documentation is sufficient. Be aware that if you do take that new position and they ever find out you lied during the interview process, they can fire you.

Stay positive, don't make any additional untruthful statements, and refuse to provide documentation as one of the earlier posters recommended. It won't be the worst thing that could happen if they revoke the offer because you refuse to provide documentation. Take it as a lesson learned (albeit a hard one). Good Luck and stay positive.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:41 AM

2,953 posts, read 8,630,402 times
No, but if someone calls for a job reference, and asked, I can tell them what he made, how long he worked, and anything else thats in his file pertaining to employment.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 AM

8,814 posts, read 13,305,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
He could do that, but the new employer may decide to just go straight to the source and find out from the current employer what the last salary was.
And they may or may not provide the info. Hence why the company is asking for the stubs.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 AM

12,708 posts, read 14,089,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
No kidding. I have never in my life been asked for pay stubs after accepting a job offer.

What will they demand next? Interviews with relatives and walk-through tours of your home?
In the past we asked an applicant their previous salary. When we varified references and previous employment we asked if their leaving salary had been in particular range, but not a specific figure.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,054,511 times
OP,

On the application, did you inform them that they could NOT check with your current employer? Many HR people (those with sense, anyway) will not verify employment with a company if they know that the applicant is still working there. They don't want to cause any issues. Most applications ask if they can contact your references. What did you say?

As for the checkstubs, I have never heard of such a thing. But I find it interesting that the company is being vilified for asking for the stubs but the OP gets a pass for lying. You backed yourself into a corner here; I don't see how you could make the problem any better by adding to the deception, as other people are suggesting.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:49 AM

12,708 posts, read 14,089,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Olson View Post
Yes I guess they can? According to google its a common thing to do... some people dont have problems sharing the info others say: would you really want to work for a company like that?
You can turn that around and look at it from the company's point of view: Doesn't everyone lie about their previous salary, or how big a liar is too big a liar to hire....and what else are they lying about?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 PM

319 posts, read 453,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I don't think the reaction on this forum is negativity per se. I do think it comes from people having experienced corporate lies, then reading about this situation in which a corporation is asking more than honesty. They're asking him to bare his underwear and spread his legs. Of course, this baring is not something corporations are ever willing to do.

I think what it is is that too many people have been burned by corporate lies, directly and indirectly, and so this reaction you're witnessing is more of an outrage, than mere negativity.
First of all, the OP and everyone else on this forum has the right to decline any request made by a potential employer. No one is being forced to do anything.

However, if the OP wants someone to provide him with a job, then he will need to play by their rules. If he doesn't like the rules, then he should move on and find another company to work for.

Are some requests crazy? Sure! But that's a quick and easy way to determine if the company's culture is a good fit for you. If you don't like the rules going into a job, you're certainly not going to like them once you are working there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or