U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,016,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvwin View Post
Do not go over one page.

Sometimes when I get a resume that is over one page I don't even bother reading it.

Learn to tailor your resume and take out things that are not relevant to what you are applying for. Leave out hobby and objectives if you still have that.

If you require additional explanations do it on the cover letter.
While you seem to be oddly in some position of hiring people, I think this is assinine. I dont think anyone who has had more than 1 or 2 jobs could fit their resume on one page without shrinking the font significantly or leaving off key skills or bullet points from each position held.

You are also recommending pretty much just transfering what would be bullet points on a resume, to paragraph form on a cover letter, a cover letter that should be a BRIEF sale of ones self. Even that said, many jobs don't even want or provide room for a cover letter at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 01:52 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,930,579 times
I get multiple job interviews and I have a 2 page resume. It's not worth it to have a one page resume and leave off critical job skills that could be the difference between you getting an interview or not, in my opinion.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I get multiple job interviews and I have a 2 page resume. It's not worth it to have a one page resume and leave off critical job skills that could be the difference between you getting an interview or not, in my opinion.
Exactly, it's no way to keep a resume one page if you have been working for 10 years or more

Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,094,556 times
I went from a 1 page to a 2 page because I was advised to on this forum. It seems to have worked. I also have looked at a friend's resume that was professionally done, and it is 2 pages. 2 pages is fine if the info is relevant to the position. I dumbed mine down to 1 page for an entry level position once.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:06 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,920,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post

I agree with this. My resume is 2 pages and it has not been a problem.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:45 AM

101 posts, read 277,068 times
The advice about only having a one page resume dates back to the 1990s when jobs were plentiful and companies did not use KEY WORD searches to find candidates using an applicant tracking system. Now employers need more information on your resume including a summary of your accomplishments. Unless you are just out of High School a 2 page resume is better.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:53 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,610,417 times
I think mine is 3 pages. Just a little bit at the top of the 3rd page, but 3 pages. I applied to 30 positions when I was looking, had 3 interviews and one job offer. Took a little over a month from when I was laid off to when I was sitting behind the new desk at the new job. So, I don't think the 1 page rule, or even the 2 page rule, is accurate. Make the resume as long as required to accurately point out your experience.

The "rule" I follow is that a resume should never have the "obvious info" on it in the job section. If your job title is "Dog Walker" you can very reasonably leave out "Walked dogs" in the job description as it is obvious. But if you were the most requested walker because of how good you were, that you include. Only include those things that make you stand out in a position and the resume is more relevant, and length starts to be less important.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM

15,358 posts, read 17,616,116 times
Mine is 4 pages.

I get at least a 50% response rate when I submit my resume for a position. I get lots of comments from recruiters and interviewers on how impressive my resume/experience is. Never got comments that it was too long.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:18 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,149,216 times
I could never fit everything on 1 page. It's not possible for me. I do contract work (in addition to my fulltime job) so I'm constantly updating it. For every contract job- I'm adding 1 line. Things get condensed (and some things have fallen off) but I still keep it at around a page and a half.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:22 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,657,396 times
I've had call backs with a two page and one page resume. Currently, I'm running with a 1-pager. Now that my experience is a little more career/industry focused, I've just used my last two post-college jobs to help summarize my experience. With a question such as this, you'll get a million different reasons for using this or that on a resume, and wouldn't ya know it, all from resume experts! I think if you can successfully display your experience succinctly on one page, go for it. If you're an industry veteran, two pages is probably the most you should use unless there are specific rules for an industry that I'm not aware of (i.e. just Google "graphic design resumes" and you'll see what I'm saying; creative design trumps standard chronological formats any day in that industry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or