U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 PM

40 posts, read 128,896 times

Advertisements

Tell me if there would be room for negotiation on my part after the interview process. Or how you would respond.

I applied for a entry-mid level job. I may be very slightly overqualified for the position. I received an email and the hiring manager said up front that the job paid around 60K. He said he didn't want to waste both of our time, so he asked if I still wanted to setup an interview.

This situation just seems like a situation where there would be absolutely no room for negotiation on my end. They told me the salary up front already and if I go through the process, their position would be that they were up front about salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:36 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,748 times
60k is entry-level? What career are you involved in, pray tell?

If he's lowballing you this early on, I doubt there'll be room for negotiation later.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:44 AM

170 posts, read 239,529 times
Seriously 60k for entry?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:23 AM

entry to mid level.

60k is probably the high-end of the range in the budget.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:24 AM

obviously, somebody with entry level credentials would get less than 60k.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:17 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,966,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodycool View Post
Tell me if there would be room for negotiation on my part after the interview process. Or how you would respond.

I applied for a entry-mid level job. I may be very slightly overqualified for the position. I received an email and the hiring manager said up front that the job paid around 60K. He said he didn't want to waste both of our time, so he asked if I still wanted to setup an interview.

This situation just seems like a situation where there would be absolutely no room for negotiation on my end. They told me the salary up front already and if I go through the process, their position would be that they were up front about salary.
So..... I think you are looking at this in the wrong way.

The hiring manager did NOT low ball you on salary before the first interview. You did not receive an offer for a job that you have been interviewing for and for a job that you were upfront during the process about your salary expectations.

You are "slightly overqualified" for the position. The hiring manager is being VERY upfront with you about his budget constraints for the position (I think MOST people on this forum would be VERY happy if a company called them about an interview and said beforehand-- look this is the hiring range are you interested so that they would not have to go through a dog and pony show to find out the details). Either you are okay with the pay or you are not.

The MOST you could negotiate for is more than likely to push yourself up to around 60k if they paid you say 52k (assuming you even make it past the first interview which you may not).

Now if you go to this job interview and basically agree to the salary range and then try to negotiate more-- you would more than likely be marked off the list toute suit. Why? Because it sets a bad tone that you KNEW their abilities and you are still going in asking for 65-80k or something like that.

The guy is trying to do you a service-- because he doesn't want to waste your time and he definitely does not want to waste his time. Your responsibility is to either agree to his constraints or tell him thank you so much for contacting me, I am looking more in the range of the mid 70s or whatever the case may be. IF you are borderline to "around 60k" I would tell him as much in something like:

Thank you for contacting me. The position sounds very interesting to me and is something I would like to pursue. I may fit in your around 60k salary expectations as I am looking for jobs between 62-66k. Please let me know if this is workable for you. I look forward to speaking with you.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:29 AM

383 posts, read 476,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktop View Post
Seriously 60k for entry?
This is what some Civil Engineers start out at. I started at $62k straight out of college and I'm in a low COL area.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:58 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,728,201 times
I would take the interview. There is definitely room for negotiation. He threw out the first number, so you have a ballpark. If you want the job, counter and see what happens. I have done this several time, increase $10,000.

Or you could come back and say "I truly like the company, however after meeting with you I realize that this position does not quite meet my needs. If there is something that opens up at a higher level, please let me know as I would like to work for XYZ company."

Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Usually people complain when they don't know the salary before interviewing. Anyway, it sounds like there is "some" wiggle room. He said "about" 60K. 61K and 62K are "about" 60.

Now if you are going to ask for 70K you are probably wasting everyone's time.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:14 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,270,643 times
I'm with Manderly6. They said ABOUT 60K....clearly that means there may be some negotiating room.

I think they see that you're overqualified...want to talk to you because they know you're a darn good candidate, but don't want to waste your time or their's if the salary they can give you isn't enough for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search